ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Main differences between bugeye & blobeye STi (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/378711-main-differences-between-bugeye-and-blobeye-sti.html)

GREGGYG 11 November 2004 03:01 PM

Main differences between bugeye & blobeye STi

I'm after comments ideally from people who have owned a bugeye STi (Type UK) and moved up to the current shape STi, I just want to know differences, pus and minus points really, thanks!
I used to own a 2003 WRX PPP and now have an Evo 7 FQ 300. In a few months I will be looking at an STi (I love Scoobies), and I really need need a few quid change in my pocket after I get rid of my Evo! Thanks in advance for your comments!

Danny B 11 November 2004 03:06 PM

You should be able to pick up a bugeye STi for a very good price now, just don;t expect to get much for it when you come to sell it though.
If I were you I'd get a Blob purely for financial reasons.

rossyboy 11 November 2004 03:10 PM

Bugeye is ugly, Blobeye is slightly less ugly :p :D

MattW 11 November 2004 03:21 PM

Greggy

Been through MY01WRX, MY02Sti, MY03StiPPP and now Evo 8 FQ330.
Each car is better than the one prior ;)

As far as your quandry is concerned, the major changes are:

Headlights
Rear Lights
Smaller steering wheel (much nicer)
Different stereo (still crap though)
Some minor suspension mods

And that's about it. I'd go MY03 if I was taking a step back :D unless you can afford a new one.

hades 11 November 2004 06:22 PM

If I were you I'd get a Blob purely for financial reasons
I'd disagree. With the bugeye, it's a fair bit cheaper to buy as it has already taken a fair depreciation hit. OK it will not fetch as much when you come to sell it, but "cheap" resale doesn't matter if it was "cheap" to buy in the first place! With a blobeye STi, they haven't lost that much money yet, therefore there is actually the potential for more depreciation.

Put it another way. Say you pay £18k for the blob, £13k for the bug. In two years, perhaps the values will be £12k and £8k. The bugeye is worth less, but has lost £1k less value. And before anyone corrects me, those are arbitrary numbers to make the point. ;)

Oranoco 11 November 2004 06:41 PM

Are you mad??????

Keep the Evo!

DrJP 11 November 2004 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by MattW
Greggy

Been through MY01WRX, MY02Sti, MY03StiPPP and now Evo 8 FQ330.
Each car is better than the one prior ;)

As far as your quandry is concerned, the major changes are:

Headlights
Rear Lights
Smaller steering wheel (much nicer)
Different stereo (still crap though)
Some minor suspension mods

And that's about it. I'd go MY03 if I was taking a step back :D unless you can afford a new one.

Mattw - How come you change your car so often, I manage every 3 years if that!

MattW 12 November 2004 09:36 AM

<whispers to self, I'm keeping this one for 4 years>

Ahem, I get bored easily ;)

Oranoco 12 November 2004 10:01 AM

Keep the Evo it knocks the spots off it's rivals. Or if you must replace it then get the Ltd edition FQ330. As good as the Scoobs are I fail to see how you could take a step backwards.

Rob D 12 November 2004 10:04 AM

The seats in the MY02 Sti are far better than in the later cars! :D

AndyC_772 12 November 2004 10:13 AM

That's probably true - although I am finding the seats in my '05 STI exceptionally comfy. They've not changed the dimensions from '03-'04, but they have now made the side bolsters out of grippier fabric.

Greg, if you need a few quid in your pocket now then the bugeye is probably the one to go for, provided you can get it cheap. That said, the STI was only out for one year in bugeye form before the '03 facelift, so in time I suspect it'll end up selling for considerably less than facelifted cars of a similar age. Pick some numbers out of the air and do the sums.

Mechanically there's not much to choose between them, stereo & suspension are easy to change anyway.