ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   p1 ERATIC IDLE (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/378525-p1-eratic-idle.html)

rob ellard 10 November 2004 10:55 PM

p1 ERATIC IDLE

I have got a 2000 model P1 and just recently the idle is very eratic(when warm), hunting from virtually nothing up to 1000 rpm then back again, sometimes it even stalls. The car is fitted with a pipercross induction kit and de-cat exhaust but used to run perfect, any ideas anyone?. Thanks in advance.
Rob.

little_idiot 10 November 2004 11:03 PM

mine was doing a similar thing (my99 uk turbo) after it spat a spark plug out and drove a mile home on 3 cylinders.

my ecu fixed itself though as it relearnt to run on 4 cylinders.

i would check the MAF sensor as you have a full induction kit on a 99/00 engine seen as the MAF's on them are a bag of arse and can be pretty fragile

James

(with a bit of luck a resident expert will come along and give some more worth while advice)

terryb 10 November 2004 11:14 PM

I'd check out the MAF sensor - how is the induction kit fitted?? Has it retained the MAF??

rob ellard 10 November 2004 11:31 PM

Cheers for that James, i will check the plugs as this problem occured after a basic service, (i think the plugs were removed).
Rob.

rob ellard 10 November 2004 11:35 PM

Hi, yes the induction kit retains the MAF in place, and Pipercross assured me that because it uses a non-oiled filter then the MAF would not be affected!
Cheers Rob.

7 Foot 11 November 2004 09:48 AM

I would still take it to a Subaru dealer and ask them to pop a new MAF sensor in. If it doesn't fix the problem don't buy it. Will take about 1 minute.

This is exactly what I did on my MY00 with a Green panel filter (very lightly oiled) and it fixed the problem so I went and paid.

The MAF sensors don't last forever.

rob ellard 11 November 2004 10:46 AM

Cheers for the info, if yours was doing the same and MAF sensor cured it then i shall go down that route first i reckon.
Rob.

SVVG 11 November 2004 12:16 PM

Might be worth checking the Lambda sensor too.

The_Judge 11 November 2004 01:08 PM

MAFs can be fcuked through vibration as well as excessive oil contamination. There are a few things you can do to test the MAF. Click here for the link...

rob ellard 11 November 2004 06:29 PM

Cheers for the advice Judge, i will have to wait until weekend to try and sort problem, i will keep you posted on progress
Rob.

Davey P 12 November 2004 08:25 AM

I was having the same problem too with my P1.

Replaced the MAF sensor and all is now working fine :)

rob ellard 12 November 2004 10:46 AM

What filter are you using Davey?

Cheers Rob.

Davey P 12 November 2004 01:17 PM

K&N57i

I am still running that filter so I will see how long the new MAF lasts for.

The_Judge 12 November 2004 02:25 PM

Of all the induction kits, that's about the most MAF-friendly (assuming it's secure and vibration free)...