ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   DIY water spray (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/376867-diy-water-spray.html)

mark@wrx 04 November 2004 10:53 PM

DIY water spray

I'm part way through fitting an intercooler water spray to my 93 WRX. I have the water bottle fitted in the place where most folk have ABS and the nozzles fitted into the bonnet scoop. I will have a main switch on the dash to turn it on/off. I'm not bothered about the spray being automatically controlled by boost pressure or temperature, so I need an on-off repeating relay. Has anyone got any suggestions as to what I could use and where to get it? I have thought about things like an indicator relay or an intermittent wash/wipe controller. Any help appreciated.

Moray 04 November 2004 11:16 PM

Just get someone to stand on the bonnet and piss into the scoop when needed :norty:

Originally Posted by mark@wrx
I'm part way through fitting an intercooler water spray to my 93 WRX. I have the water bottle fitted in the place where most folk have ABS and the nozzles fitted into the bonnet scoop. I will have a main switch on the dash to turn it on/off. I'm not bothered about the spray being automatically controlled by boost pressure or temperature, so I need an on-off repeating relay. Has anyone got any suggestions as to what I could use and where to get it? I have thought about things like an indicator relay or an intermittent wash/wipe controller. Any help appreciated.

mark@wrx 04 November 2004 11:33 PM

Great input, thanks.:sleep:

scoobtech 05 November 2004 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by mark@wrx
Great input, thanks.:sleep:

no need for a relay .....its only going to be occasionally used .....especially if your using a standard washer bottle pump .

DaveW 05 November 2004 04:41 PM

Mark,

Try Grade A, they may be able to provide you with the proper stuff from an RA/TypeR.

I think that the manual system on the Mitsi Evo4 is just an on/off as I remember Toddy just pushing the button a few times, so no timer involved. It seemed to work on that ok.

PICKLE 05 November 2004 04:49 PM

That reminds me, I have a friend who wants to run a spray from his rear washer pump (Wagon) he has No headlight washers so can't use the pump from that, which is what I did. (This has a timed circuit that only sprays for around 1 second).

We need to find something that will allow his spray to only spray the once not continuously whilst on boost!???

Anyone got a suggestion?

Shall we just get a headlight washer pump, and replace the rear washer pump on his car with it?

babber 05 November 2004 05:06 PM

I got a micro switch that connects to the throttle and opens at about 3/4 WOT. It was easy to fit and doesn't use that much water to be honest. Got a STI Type R bottle (that fits where the ABS pump is) fitted in the boot and ran the pipe through the inside of the car.

Works a treat ;)

Phill

PS I can take a picture tomorrow so you understand the position of it??

mark@wrx 05 November 2004 06:20 PM

I've got the bottle sorted Phil. One of those universal ones from Theiving Tweeks. I've fitted it in the engine bay where the RA one would be. I think i'll just leave it as a manual for now. Thanks guys.

Welloilbeefhooked 15 November 2004 10:23 AM

Pressure Switch

To switch mine on and off I have a switch on the dashboard to arm the system and a pressure switch from RS Components that is adjustable. I am going to run it at 14psi so that its only going to spray when on boost. I am also considering a timer so that it sprays for 2 or 3 seconds after the boost drops.

The swicth is mounted at the end of the intercooler. I tapped a 1/4 bsp hole in the end of the rear part of the IC which seems to be th e easiest part to get at. Just remember to get all the bits out before starting the engine!!
preferably remove the IC to do this.

Butty 15 November 2004 10:39 AM

You could use the IC spray timer relay off a newage UK STI. It will power the washer pump for 3 secs everytime it is energised.
Breakers should do them (if they know they are there). Its mounted on a bracket near the fuse box under the right hand dash. Its mounted with the 15 min rear heater relay.
Otherwise from Subaru for £££

Nick