ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   North-South Divide on scooby prices???? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/375908-north-south-divide-on-scooby-prices.html)

mmuuzzzzyy 01 November 2004 07:43 PM

North-South Divide on scooby prices????

Why the hell do scooby's seem to cost about 2k more up here (Yorkshire) than they do down in the south??? :mad:

Down South
00(W) SUBARU IMPREZA 2000 Turbo Manual, Howard Smee 4 door, Saloon, Silver Metallic, 30000 miles, Remote Central Locking, Electric Windows, Electric Sunroof, Electric Mirrors, ABS, Air Conditioning, Power Steering, Drivers Air Bag, Passenger Air Bag, This . . . . (trade)
£7,995
177 miles
Up North

1999 V Reg SUBARU Impreza 2.0 Turbo 2000 J D Haynes Car Sales 4 Doors, Manual 5 speed, Saloon, Petrol, 54,000 miles, Metallic Silver. ABS, Air-Conditioning, alarm class II, Alloy Wheels, Electric Mirrors, Electric Windows, Front Fog Lights, Full Service History, . . . . (trade)

£9,995
20 miles

2000 W Reg SUBARU Impreza Turbo 2000 4WD R N Golden 4 Doors, Manual, Saloon, Petrol, 44,000 miles, Metallic Green. ABS, Adjustable steering column/wheel, Alloy wheels, Central locking, Driver airbag, Electric mirrors, Electric windows, Foglights, Headlight . . . . (trade)
£10,995

This aint the only example...there bloody loads more i could choose from!

Pars 01 November 2004 07:46 PM

Try and stay calm

MichaelH 01 November 2004 07:52 PM

Erm.... sorry to point out the bleedin obvious, but if they're £2k cheaper darn sarth, ever thought of going down there to buy one?

Could do plenty of prep up front then when you think you've found a good un go down on a weekend. If you drive down with a mte it'd make for a good drive out as well?

mmuuzzzzyy 01 November 2004 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by MichaelH
Erm.... sorry to point out the bleedin obvious, but if they're £2k cheaper darn sarth, ever thought of going down there to buy one?

Could do plenty of prep up front then when you think you've found a good un go down on a weekend. If you drive down with a mte it'd make for a good drive out as well?

Will be going down south to buy one by the look of the prices. Just a ball ache if owt goes wrong though.

Cant see the reasoning behind the massive price difference though!

Makes it even worse when you consider 'southerners' are generally paid more than us northerners.:razz:

Dazza01 01 November 2004 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by mmuuzzzzyy
Makes it even worse when you consider 'southerners' are generally paid more than us northerners.:razz:

Or you could say that u Northerners are greedy buggers and the Southerners aren't ;) :p

but it don't matter to me cos im in the middle anyway :D:D:D

NotoriousREV 01 November 2004 08:09 PM

Would you really want a car thats been driven by a shandy-drinking southern poof? ;)

s70rjw 01 November 2004 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
Would you really want a car thats been driven by a shandy-drinking southern poof? ;)

Exactly... get one up North and it'll talk proper

Chins 01 November 2004 08:33 PM

More Chavs up North after a Classic :) Basic supply vs demand curve

Less Chavs down south = lower demand = lower prices :)

Jonathan

MichaelH 01 November 2004 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by mmuuzzzzyy
Will be going down south to buy one by the look of the prices. Just a ball ache if owt goes wrong though.

Cant see the reasoning behind the massive price difference though!

Good thing is we can afford the houses up here so though we have to pay more for a scoob, we can put it in the garage!

Not noticed the price difference before, I paid through the nose anyway as I went to a main dealer. :( Got a decent warranty though :)

Maybe I could have planned a quick dash down south for one instead. After all, wouldn't have wanted to hang about down there. Seen the price of their beer?

MJW 01 November 2004 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Chins

Jonathan

LOL, but I thought it was the cheeky cockney barrow-boys who were the genetic forebears of the chav ?

Aaquil 01 November 2004 08:49 PM

I used to live in Romford, Essex which was full of Chavs. Now I live in North Manchester which is equally full of Chavs. There everywhere!!!! Help!!!!

StickyMicky 02 November 2004 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by Chins

Jonathan

flawed

soft southern poofs took the northern word "Charva" and made it into a more puffish southern word "Chav"

so to use your sentance in its correct manner

MORE CHAVS DOWN SOUTH

although they may be more "charvas" up north
you can go back to your pint of shandy now

johnfelstead 02 November 2004 10:36 AM

i bought my STi in southampton, and sold it to a chap from portsmouth, and i live in manchester. Work that one out. LOL

VTEC to Turbo 02 November 2004 10:53 AM

[QUOTE=mmuuzzzzyy]Why the hell do scooby's seem to cost about 2k more up here (Yorkshire) than they do down in the south??? :mad:

Down South
00(W) SUBARU IMPREZA 2000 Turbo Manual, Howard Smee 4 door, Saloon, Silver Metallic, 30000 miles, Remote Central Locking, Electric Windows, Electric Sunroof, Electric Mirrors, ABS, Air Conditioning, Power Steering, Drivers Air Bag, Passenger Air Bag, This . . . . (trade)
£7,995
177 miles
QUOTE]

When I was looking I phoned Howard Smee and he wasn't hiding the fact that it was a repaired Cat D, hence the price.

We have over priced good examples down here aswell as over priced rubbish, you just have to hold out till one turns up at the right price. They do exist...

I always travel for a good car, just make sure you ask all questions before setting off to stop disappointment. You can generally find out the condition of a car over the phone by asking the right questions and by what the seller sounds like!