ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   MY04 STi or 04/05 WRX PPP ? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/375475-my04-sti-or-04-05-wrx-ppp.html)

Steve Perriam 31 October 2004 09:38 AM

MY04 STi or 04/05 WRX PPP ?

looking to get back into scooby ownership :D after a couple of years away due to now having a company lease car.

had a totally standard classic shape before from new bought in may 2000.

this car will be the wifes / 2nd weekend car. aiming to keep it for a good few years.

went to my local dealer this week for a test drive to give the wife a chance to drive as she's never been in a scoob.

tried a standard wrx, MY04 with 7k on the clock. great to be back in the driving seat of a turbo car and still love the flat 4 rumble. only thing i disliked is imho the seats in it are not as good as my old MY00 - less side grip, more padding ? otherwise felt like business as usual.

also tried a MY04 STi. this felt so much quicker and the acceleration so much more aggressive. 6 speed box felt great, a really short throw to it compared to the WRX and the seats were like i remember from my classic.

only got a short drive in each due to going after work just before the dealer was closing.........interested in a longer drive and i note subaru are now offering 24hr Test Drives on all models including the STi ! :) :D so need to go back again when we've both got more time and to discuss a 24hr drive :D

tallking briefly afterwards to the people at the garage it was mentioned that some people really rate a standard WRX with the PPP - an option bringing power etc near to STi levels for less money ? obviously you dont get the STi 6 speed box and other differences....but worth considering ?

anyone comment on the above ? i'm a bit out of date on scooby details the past yr or 2.

as a second car we might do as well buying a WRX and adding PPP to it saving a bit of cash ? anyone know if insurance is much different with a PPP added ?

oh and we've not really considered or interested in other cars. yes i might consider an evo but................oh and tired a civic type r last week to.

cheers

steve

cw42 31 October 2004 11:51 AM

I'm in a similar situation to yourself m8, except looking at my02 models, not 03. Wouldn't touch a standard wrx even with ppp. Just too slow. Have you considered jdm models? Roughly the same to insure, and much better car all round. Basically an my03 sti jdm will be much better than even a uk sti with ppp.
ppp will add to your insurance, even though its a factory fit item, so you may end up paying more for a uk ppp than a standard jdm.
Good hunting, its a buyers market out there at the mo', so take your pick :)
chris.

hades 31 October 2004 12:59 PM

They're different beasts, really. WRX is marginally lighter, softer (more comfortable) riding, and with the PPP will be pretty much equal in a drag race as a standard UK STi. The turbo will come in a lot earlier - a standard STi feels a bit flat IMHO below 4000rpm. With a quickshift kit (you can get one dealer fitted), you can get the WRX gearchange to be fairly similar to the STi, although you will still only have 5 gears of course. The STi has significantly better brakes and handling, and the engine can easily be tweaked with PPP to over 300bhp or with basic after-market mods such as exhaust and re-map (not warranty friendly) to 330+bhp - about 50 more than a WRX.

For an upgrade to a "normal" everyday saloon as a daily driver, IMHO I'd go with the WRX PPP. If you're after a more truly sporty car, something more akin to an EVO etc, the STi (ideally with PPP / mods to get the power to come in earlier) has to be the choice.

Steve Perriam 31 October 2004 04:05 PM

cw42. yep deffo a buyers market. we're expecting to be able to get a good deal and we're willing to travel a distance to find it.

hades : yep they are different. just trying to decide if the cash difference is worth it for us i guess. need a longer driver in both, but especially the STi hence interested in the 24hr test driver offer.

chris's scooby 31 October 2004 04:15 PM

I think that once you've driven them both for a few hours you'll know which one you want.

Steve Perriam 31 October 2004 05:31 PM

i already do chris :D

just gotta convince the wife........ :p

chris's scooby 31 October 2004 07:29 PM

Good luck!

Mark_S 31 October 2004 11:06 PM

You need to test drive the UK STI with PPP and the JDM STI then you can decide.

WRX_Rich 01 November 2004 01:18 AM

if you want a sti get it, other wise you will end up with a wrx with more bolt on bits than inspector gadget ;)

Steve Perriam 01 November 2004 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by WRX_Rich
if you want a sti get it, other wise you will end up with a wrx with more bolt on bits than inspector gadget ;)

yep, and i probably not got a lotta chance of doing too much to the car once its bought either !

TaviaRS 01 November 2004 09:11 AM

Get the STI Steve :)

Steve Perriam 01 November 2004 09:33 AM

oi back to work jon :p

yeah reckon we will. both liked it.

rach just says the difference between the 2 is a new kitchen :o

AndyC_772 01 November 2004 09:46 AM

IMHO both cars desperately need the PPP adding. The standard STI in particular is strangled by emissions regs leaving it very lethargic indeed below 4000rpm, which for town driving is a real pain. Get the engine spinning and it's great, but for me one of the great benefits of driving a performance car is the ability to nip into gaps in traffic (eg. at roundabouts & traffic lights), and that needs low down torque. From that point of view my old MY00/PPP was much, much better than a standard STI and I've no doubt the new WRX/PPP will be at least as good if not better.

Steve Perriam 01 November 2004 10:00 AM

cheers andy. we need a longer drive of both really so its back to the dealer this week to arrange a 24hr drive so we can get a better feel for both cars and their differences.

they've also got a sti ppp so perhaps a drive of that needed to !

AndyC_772 01 November 2004 10:36 AM

STI PPP is certainly the best of the bunch (unless you fancy a JDM twin scroll car ;)) - you'll love it. Note that MY03 and MY04 are virtually identical, so there's no harm in going for a MY03 if that makes it more affordable.

Steve Perriam 01 November 2004 11:16 AM

i'd love a jdm car....spec c :D :D but that sorta totally breaks the budget never mind pushing it slightly :p

not been able to find 03 / 04 comparisons..........

as long its got the new shape headlights Rach is happy ! so i guess that makes it either an 03 or 04 we're looking for then ?

(we're now also contemplating an Evo ! - a subaru dealer near us has one so we're off to give them a visit :D )

AndyC_772 01 November 2004 11:21 AM

'04 has the square boot lock... and... that's about it.

paulhsti 01 November 2004 12:38 PM

I tried the WRX without the PPP and liked the handling and softer ride but felt the engine needed the PPP kit - then I looked at the other goodies like brakes, bigger wheels and the more radical looks so went for the STI - with the option to add the PPP if required.
However For an every day car and a budget the WRX with PPP is prob a better bet than an STI.
I drove an 04 Evo MR300 last weekend and that is amazingly soft and easy to drive very fast (or slow) compared to 04 STI also better handling - almost too easy (character?) and with a low standard of finish and high serviceing not for a tight budget.

Steve Perriam 01 November 2004 09:34 PM

yeah i felt the wrx was too soft now compared to my old MY00.

tried the evo today. rach not like it at all and i dont think i'd wanna live with it or its 4,500 mile servicing either.

really liked the STi this dealer had though. so looks like its the one for us.

just gotta find a good bargain now :D :D

chris's scooby 01 November 2004 09:39 PM

How about a WR1?

Steve Perriam 01 November 2004 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by chris's scooby
How about a WR1?

you're having a laff chris ;) :p

unless you seen then somewhat cheaper than i have !

dont think i'll get one of those past Rach ;) :o

chris's scooby 01 November 2004 10:26 PM

Oh well, just a thought!

DavidHill 01 November 2004 10:39 PM

Steve, stick to the Laguna m8 :p

I just bought myself and STi 8 seems ok, hopefully with decat and a few other bits should improve things. Cant give you a comparison with wrx 'cause ive never driven one.

David

Steve Perriam 02 November 2004 11:11 AM

lol dave,

still keeping the lag-ooo-na :) :p ;) quality french motoring.

just looking for a 2nd car for Rach and weekends :) :D

prefer the STi to the WRX although not driven a PPP WRX. also she preferred STi to the Evo.

When did you get yours ? wot did you have before ? post a few piccies ?

jimbrit 02 November 2004 12:15 PM

wot is the wet wevver handling like m8e

Steve Perriam 02 November 2004 12:34 PM

hi jim

its better than the lag-ooo-na ;)

how you doing m8e ?

-=Buzz=- 02 November 2004 01:40 PM

How are you going to split it though Steve? You having the front or the back? ;)

Hope you've given it enough thought :P

RB170 02 November 2004 01:58 PM

Why do you need to aske the wife?

You have your money she has hers so I make it that you can buy wtf you want.

jjones 02 November 2004 02:33 PM

in the ever likely event of a D.I.V.O.R.C.E who will get custody? as the male in the relationship are you not worried that you may only get access once a fortnight?

R1916v 02 November 2004 06:30 PM

my cats breath smells of fish