ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   What's a "JDM" spec car? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/375396-whats-a-jdm-spec-car.html)

coolhands 30 October 2004 05:34 PM

What's a "JDM" spec car?

Hi. Newbie here, which accounts for the question... :) Does it just mean Jap import?

NotoriousREV 30 October 2004 05:36 PM

JDM = Japan Domestic Market i.e. an import ;)

TonyBurns 30 October 2004 05:36 PM

It stands for Japanese Domestic Market.

Tony:D

coolhands 30 October 2004 05:39 PM

Ta.

Ray_li 30 October 2004 07:35 PM

Thanks. Benn wanting to know this for a while now

Trumptton 30 October 2004 08:03 PM

Crap and always blow up, need undersealing and lots of other bits to get on with british weather and oh did i mention they are a nightmare to insure?? apart from that they are brilliant motors ;)

jowl 30 October 2004 08:06 PM

Is there a scoobynet FAQ or Jargon buster?

Maybe this would be a help for newbies like myself

Nathan L 30 October 2004 08:13 PM

Trumptton :rolleyes:

Jowl a FAQ is being worked on at this stage.

chrisp 30 October 2004 08:50 PM

what does faq mean ;)

chrisp 30 October 2004 08:51 PM

or is it just another TLA

Stiff 30 October 2004 09:01 PM

What's TLA? :)

chrisp 30 October 2004 09:04 PM

Three Letter Acronym

TWAIN is good, you may see twain drivers referenced to PC scanners

Technology Without An Interesting Name ;)

Stiff 30 October 2004 09:10 PM

:thumb:

AndyC_772 31 October 2004 09:20 AM

PCMCIA = People Can't Memorise Computer Industry Acronyms

cw42 31 October 2004 11:53 AM

sidc faq page
all you need to know is there :)

chris.

coolangatta 31 October 2004 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Trumptton
Crap and always blow up, need undersealing and lots of other bits to get on with british weather and oh did i mention they are a nightmare to insure?? apart from that they are brilliant motors ;)

Think you'll find that the CRAP relates to the UK fuel that destroys the JDM tuned cars M8. Bet you wish you had the good stuff over there :)

Coolangatta.

NotoriousREV 31 October 2004 12:39 PM

My 100,000 mile tuned import would beg to differ...

TonyBurns 31 October 2004 12:41 PM

Not got any problems with crap fuel on my MY03 JDM STi (original map :D) running octane booster, still flies :D

jowl 31 October 2004 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by chrisp
Three Letter Acronym

TWAIN is good, you may see twain drivers referenced to PC scanners

Technology Without An Interesting Name ;)

Like the American TV broadcast system NTSC...

Never Twice Same Colour

scoobyDAZZA 31 October 2004 01:51 PM

WTF

julian N/W wrx my93 31 October 2004 02:56 PM

i agree with the Rev.
mines only done 120000mile though, so i don't know if it will blow or not!

Michelhead Scoobies Unite!

DJ WATTS 31 October 2004 03:43 PM

Yeah my JDM is so crap too, not done that amount of miles yet but i will post back here in a few years when i have... :D

Trumptton you don't know what your on about!

Trumptton 31 October 2004 05:56 PM

Jdm's are an accident waiting to happen, octane booster will eventually burn the valves out, the map is all wrong for this country, they rot like a leper's penis and are easily identified by the gay gold wheels.

Why do you think so many P1's have had blown engines?? due to them basically being an imported sti 5 with 2 doors, they have a JDM map and were never any good on our fuel.

All we ever hear on here is my engine has gone bang, big end no3 has gone, 90% of these are the rust buckets that come off the rice boats!!

cw42 31 October 2004 06:35 PM

woah! trumpton, some strongs words there. you've obviously had some bad experience with jdm's in the past, please share it with us.
Personally, I was under the impression that the P1 was mapped for uk fuel, which is what made it the "best" sti5 you could get.
As for mapping of jdm cars, spend a few quid at a decent mapper once you've got your jdm, and not only do you get a car safe to run on lower octance uk fuel, but some serious performance enhancement thrown it too :)
Surely you can get underseal done at any garage these days, or do it yourself for added peace of mind.
finally, take a look here for some excellent examples of "gay gold wheels", not many of those are jdms either :)

TonyBurns 31 October 2004 06:56 PM

Trumptton,
Of course no uk car ever suffered burnt out valves, number 3 piston failure or the big end going :rolleyes:
Octane booster wont kill your engine, its designed to protect it, and if you run a JDM car on the correct fuel, it will run forever :D
As for the P1, well when it states "super unleaded 97 ron fuel only" and people put in 95 ron, hey, somethings going to give (and modifying them doesnt help either).
No doubt the 22B type UK will all (9 remaining i think) end up needing new engines.....
Get your facts right about JDM cars, the new ones especially are alot better in the mapping department and have more correction for knock.

wah 31 October 2004 07:01 PM

And I seem to remember you saying CW42 at the BBO meeting that my MY93 JDM WRX was very tidy for it's year, there is not one sport of corrosion on it !!!!

Trumptton 31 October 2004 07:03 PM

I though you JDM lot would sooner or later come hunting ;)

I have no bad experiences to speak of except the ex wife but I think that the earlier imports really are a waste of time, my UK turbo will easily chomp off the arse of ANY basic modded wrx and have an extra few hundred quid to throw at it each year what i save in insurance, Later JDM's are a lot better agreed as for the P1's wel there is no excuse, buy a uk car and have to run it on super juice is just not acceptable, I live in devon and you cant get this **** everywhere like you can in the rest of the country

trumptton ;)

TonyBurns 31 October 2004 07:12 PM

"my UK turbo will easily chomp off the arse of ANY basic modded wrx "

Dont let Chrisp hear you say that ;)
His wrx was one of the last ones (ltd editions) in classic form (280ps), up to around 320bhp and 300lbs of torque i believe ;):D

Trumptton 31 October 2004 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
"my UK turbo will easily chomp off the arse of ANY basic modded wrx "

Dont let Chrisp hear you say that ;)
His wrx was one of the last ones (ltd editions) in classic form (280ps), up to around 320bhp and 300lbs of torque i believe ;):D

My car cant speak, what cant speak cant lie rodney ;)

chris's scooby 31 October 2004 07:36 PM

I though you JDM lot would sooner or later come hunting ;)

I have no bad experiences to speak of except the ex wife but I think that the earlier imports really are a waste of time, my UK turbo will easily chomp off the arse of ANY basic modded wrx and have an extra few hundred quid to throw at it each year what i save in insurance, Later JDM's are a lot better agreed as for the P1's wel there is no excuse, buy a uk car and have to run it on super juice is just not acceptable, I live in devon and you cant get this **** everywhere like you can in the rest of the country

trumptton ;)

Trumptton, was your ex-wife on the Japanese Domestic Market then?

How much did you pay from her? :D