ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Postal Question (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/374833-postal-question.html)

mad_dr 28 October 2004 04:20 PM

Postal Question

If someone posts two identical packages from one post office, to two addresses in another town, what possible reasons could there be for one of the packages arriving and the other not?

Spoon 28 October 2004 04:25 PM

1. It's just slower to get there.
2. It's been lost.
3. It's been stolen.

David Lock 28 October 2004 04:29 PM

It called Sod's Law.......

This also states that the package which was more important is the one that didn't arrive. DL

mad_dr 28 October 2004 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Spoon

Amazing... ;)

Neither are particularly important: I was just interested that at some point, two packages that were originally next to each other, in a grey postal bag, could become separated to the point at which one takes 24 hours longer to arrive than the other one.

I have a mental image of postal workers shoveling a huge pile of mail into the back of a large van with a pitchfork. Somewhere a bell rings. The men down tools and the truck drives off. "Well - it's 5 O'clock. See you tomorrow Frank"... :D

milo 28 October 2004 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Spoon
2. It's been lost.
3. It's been stolen.

u missed one off...

4. bumbling incompetence of the postal service ;) :D

Drunken Bungle Whore 28 October 2004 05:42 PM

The Laws of Physics state in Paragraph 83, Subsection b, item 4:

"The Post Office shall be exempt from all of the above laws"

:D

douglasb 28 October 2004 10:09 PM

I was going to post a sensible answer about how if two packages were sent to two addresses in the same town and sent from the same place they could arrive at the addresses at vastly different times, however I've re-read the original post and one item appears not to have arrived. The answer is that it's fallen down the back of the couch. It'll be there with all the small change and peanuts.:)

(Serious answer - although the packets were going to the same town, is the first part of the postcode different? This determines which sorting office the packet will be routed by and no doubt some are more efficient than others. Within about 10 miles of here, some postcodes as CW, some SK and some ST. I'm near the edge of SK/CW, so anyone posting something to me and also to someone about a mile away could find similar differences as one package is routed via Crewe and another via Stockport.

Although it could just be that Spoon's answers are correct;))

yvette296 28 October 2004 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by douglasb
I was going to post a sensible answer about how if two packages were sent to two addresses in the same town and sent from the same place they could arrive at the addresses at vastly different times, however I've re-read the original post and one item appears not to have arrived. The answer is that it's fallen down the back of the couch. It'll be there with all the small change and peanuts.:)

(Serious answer - although the packets were going to the same town, is the first part of the postcode different? This determines which sorting office the packet will be routed by and no doubt some are more efficient than others. Within about 10 miles of here, some postcodes as CW, some SK and some ST. I'm near the edge of SK/CW, so anyone posting something to me and also to someone about a mile away could find similar differences as one package is routed via Crewe and another via Stockport.

Although it could just be that Spoon's answers are correct;))

i quite agree with spoon. my hubby was a postman until 3 months ago (after 23 years) and he got so fed up with the senior management who tried to cut corners and expect to cut down on delivery staff who then have to do much, much bigger delivery rounds.

My guess is that the sorting office(s) involved probably got some disgruntled postie who thought b******ks and put one to one side.

mad_dr 29 October 2004 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by yvette296
i quite agree with spoon. my hubby was a postman until 3 months ago (after 23 years) and he got so fed up with the senior management who tried to cut corners and expect to cut down on delivery staff who then have to do much, much bigger delivery rounds.

My guess is that the sorting office(s) involved probably got some disgruntled postie who thought b******ks and put one to one side.

Nice to know they act professionally!... Not.

The postcodes are both identical apart from the last two characters:

GL7 1XX

I'm not too fussed about it to be honest but it just made me wonder. As far as I can tell, they would have stayed together right up until they were allocated to different postmen. Maybe he nicked it! ;)

Scoob99 29 October 2004 09:59 AM

As a Postie mtself, this happens many times, was it sent recorded or registerd if so if you would like to PM me the number I'll use the Track and Trace system to see if I can find it for you.........BTW not all postmen are thives you know thousands of items go missing everyday.
Cheers
Colin