ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Wheels, Tyres & Brakes (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/)
-   -   Brake Discs/Pads for MY01 Impreza WRX (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/374564-brake-discs-pads-for-my01-impreza-wrx.html)

Scooby Stoo 27 October 2004 07:23 PM

Brake Discs/Pads for MY01 Impreza WRX

Just wonderin if anyone out there can recommend some new discs and pads as an alternative to the standard subaru parts as they're wearin thin! I'm a bit skint at the moment so I'm not after hugely expensive alternatives!!

Cheers

Stu

minor_threat 27 October 2004 08:55 PM

Hi Stu,

you'd probably get more answers in the wheels/brakes section (the mods might move this anyway!). Most popular pads seem to be Mintex 1144/1155, Ferrodo DS2500 and EBC Redstuff Ceramics. There are various discs on the market - drilled, grooved, drilled and grooved. If it's just for road use you don't need to go over the top, but personally I'd avoid discs like Tarox which can have a dozen grooves and are very aggressive on pads (ie: you'll be buying new pads sooner than you want!). Mintex and EBC make some good discs, you should be able to get front pads and discs for around £200. If you've got more money go for the Godspeed brake upgrade. www.camsport.co.uk do very competitive deals.

jmk 28 October 2004 08:35 AM

Give this guy a call. He helped me choose the right pads for my needs and they arrived 2 days later.

I went for what he called OE+ pads (£75 all in) as some of the others whilst performing better can be noisy. So far (1k miles) I'm very happy.

Alyn, ASPerformance.com
0191-4103770

DaveW 29 October 2004 12:55 PM

You could also try www.camskill.co.uk who have good prices on OE spec disks.

Dave.

supertouring 29 October 2004 02:07 PM

I've run DS2500 on std disks - I found them to give me much more confidence than the original pads when used hard. No problems when cold either, and no more noisy than the originals. Bit more dusty though!

Andy S. 29 October 2004 06:58 PM

For pads Ferodo DS2500 without a doubt I have tried Mintex 1155's 1144's and then Ferodos. The Ferodo's are miles better on standard discs (and I drive my car hard).

Got mine from AS Performance www.asperformance.com

Lagamorph 30 October 2004 11:53 AM

just bought some ebc discs and redstuff pads how long do you think they will take to fit as a mechanic has told me more than 2hrs :eek: is this right or is he trying it on.

Andy

ps sorry for the hijack

Jim_B 30 October 2004 01:05 PM

Should only take an hour to do the front discs and pads... Its only a matter of taking the wheels off - 2 bolts to remove the caliper there you go.

Tony_W 04 November 2004 10:22 PM

Try Graham goode racing for standard replacement pads. I bought some 2 yrs ago and they were excellent once bedded in, for road use.