ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Bid & then retract to find the reserve on e bay? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/373530-bid-and-then-retract-to-find-the-reserve-on-e-bay.html)

Diesel 24 October 2004 10:17 AM

Bid & then retract to find the reserve on e bay?

First time I've used to sell and and the calls for people trying to do a deal outside of e bay I've had! Asking me what the reserve was and what my lowest price for a quick cash deal is!

One even bid fo a car I'm selling and immediately retracted iit saying 'wrong amount' (obvious bul$hit) so I guess he now knows the reserve is; I expect he'll try a bid again with a lower figure. I also said no one to bid with 0 feedback yet someone is.

All a bit suspect really (and I put my work number down for the car - well, would YOU buy a car from someone who wouldnt???)

D (newbie;) :rolleyes: )

Jamo 24 October 2004 10:24 AM

I must admit Im bidding on one at the minute and I asked what the reserve was, and I generally do ask, mainly to see if its within my affordability, as I cant see the point in bidding if I cant afford it!

just my 2p and of course imo

jamo :)

Diesel 24 October 2004 10:33 AM

You can do what you want mate, but from a seller's point of view he'd prefer you to bid what you think its worth and up to what you can afford. If you go over the reserve then it is affordable - simple :)

apples24 24 October 2004 10:34 AM

instantly delete all 0 feedback bidders

bidders with feedback under 5 email them give them 24 or 48 hrs to reply and suply contact number

harsh but if ya dont do it ya will regret it

*Sonic* 24 October 2004 10:39 AM

I often asked what the reserve is too when bidding on stuff

like jamo, gives me an idea

Sometimes you can bid on stuff and a reserve has been set, but very few other people bid, and you are no where near the reserve, and no-one wins the auction

nice to know what the reserve is, in those situations, as then an 'offer' can be made if no winning bids

You Cannot bid what you think its worth or can afford, as sometimes the incremental bids are too small to even hit the reserve, if not enough bidders, and no-one wins, the seller has his fees to pay, and no goods sold, only further costs to relist

I have bought quite a few things this way, all the seller does is makes you a 2nd chance offer under Buy it Now at the price agreed, and it all stays within Ebay

Diesel 24 October 2004 10:57 AM

It does seem to be the way its working! I just told a chap what I was looking for on the car and he's on his way up :eek: There was after all no point in him driving up if my reserve was unrealistic...

*Sonic* 24 October 2004 11:33 AM

Good luck with the sale :)

Diesel 24 October 2004 04:16 PM

He actually bought it and now another wants to see it in 30 mins!!!! Arghhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!! :eek:

mart360 24 October 2004 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Diesel
He actually bought it and now another wants to see it in 30 mins!!!! Arghhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!! :eek:

i have the cheque ready,,

please can you pay the overpayment by wester union, to my business arrangement.

plese take the car off sale

i have a shipper arranged as part of a recent transaction

LOL

Mart

L55 REP 24 October 2004 07:56 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ lol ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

pslewis 24 October 2004 08:09 PM

So? If I bidded on an item now - for the FIRST time ever - I would get deleted by some knobs???? :confused:

So, how the hell would you EVER get feedback??

Grow up and stop deleting newbies bids you dorks!

Pete

ScoobywagonGl 24 October 2004 08:27 PM

sorry but i agree with pslewis on this one! everyone has to start somewhere on ebay. remember that you once had 0 feedback on there! grow up and give them a chance! most on there are honest and decent.

Diesel 24 October 2004 09:31 PM

Mart, I still have the car and am £500 up via PayPal. He was green welly not dodgy geezer! Car remains up till he completes with a building society cheque... So stop worrying me will you dammit :)

I actually havent yet deleted Mr 0 feedback's bid despite his failure to contact me as requested beforehand or even call to ask about the car. 'Dork' indeed! Stop speaking like cool-dude Californians from your damp attics!!!;)

-=Buzz=- 25 October 2004 07:06 AM

what gets me is, what sort of idiot puts a starting bid of £1 or some other fugure well under their reserve, and then wastes everyones time having them bid continually only to see "reserve not met"?

If that's the lowest bid you will accept then START THE BIDDING AT THE RESERVE FFS! unless you plan to sell it cheaper.. in which case lower the reserve.. :rolleyes:

An as for the "it get's people bidding" argument, it doesn't - it gets people messing about exactly as described - all of which would have been avoided with a first bid at the reseve price.

Just my opinion of course ;)

pbee 25 October 2004 10:50 AM

well he probably saved a couple of quide by starting it at a pound as the ebay fees vary depending on starting price.

Ringpeas 25 October 2004 12:46 PM

Just put the reserve in the advert.

All problems solved :rolleyes:

Paulo P 25 October 2004 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Ringpeas
Just put the reserve in the advert.

All problems solved :rolleyes:

I was just thinking the same thing :)

De Warrenne 25 October 2004 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by ScoobywagonGl
sorry but i agree with pslewis on this one! everyone has to start somewhere on ebay. remember that you once had 0 feedback on there! grow up and give them a chance! most on there are honest and decent.

agreed but most people start off buying a dvd or cd, not a multi-thousand pound car

tonybooth 25 October 2004 04:29 PM

I still firmly believe that there should be a 14 day cooling off period from the day you register to the day you can bid for the first time. It seems that most bidders for anything with an engine are zero feedback bidders that have only just registered with the sole intention of fcuking up your auction. Subsequently they are also responsible for forcing the price of the item way over its true value, much to the annoyance of genuine bidders. :mad:

I am still perplexed at why people put a reserve on eBay. If you want shut of something for whatever cost then £1 start with no reserve is the way to go. However if I am selling something with a price in mind I find it better just to put my reserve price as the starting price so that anything over that is a bonus.

TONY

Diesel 29 October 2004 02:50 PM

Can people bid BELOW your starting price? That was never quite clear to me. If not, who needs a reserve...?

Tiggs 29 October 2004 02:55 PM

reserve is stupid....just start the item at your bottom price.

as for newbies, if the item is over £100 i ask for email from them before bidding.

if you think thats harsh then go buy some cheap crap first then come back! or just email and declare your honest intentions.....i sold a car last week on ebay to a newbie who took time to email then call before i let him bid.

davegtt 29 October 2004 02:57 PM

I dont see the point in a reserve... wont bid on anything that has 1 until its been met, waste of everybodys time IMO.... if u wont sell if for less than x then start your bidding at x... its not rocket science cause then if they cant afford it then they wont bid, simple as really.

movi-star 20 June 2006 12:37 PM

Christies and Bonhams use reserves on their auctions and they've been in business since 1793!

There is a point to reserves as it gets people bidding early on, the seller would hope then they would carry on until the reserve is matched.

I was at Bonhams last week for the Sports auction and if a "lot" starts at 100gbp and no one bids they will then lower it to say 50gbp, people then start to bid and more often than not the bidding then goes beyond 100gbp which was the original start price when no one bid! Having a reserve with a low start price is another way of achieving this effect.