ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   What the hell?? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/372966-what-the-hell.html)

Herb_93WRX 21 October 2004 11:28 PM

What the hell??

Got the car last week everything been ok till now. Went out for some fun tonight on some single track twisties then.....OOF!!

In 3rd and 4th usually between 5000 and 6000rpm it was like someone switched the ignition off for a split second, not nice.

Started off ok seemed to happen when the car got hot.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

chrome 21 October 2004 11:47 PM

perhaps fuel cut? (ie: too much boost)

Herb_93WRX 21 October 2004 11:55 PM

Whats the cause of that,never experienced anything like it before?

chrome 21 October 2004 11:58 PM

post some more info about your car mate.

Do you have any mods? (Are you running a Dawes Device?)
how about the weather? (was it freezing cold?)
etc etc.. ;)
no doubt usual techie suspects will be along shortly ;)

Herb_93WRX 22 October 2004 12:08 AM

Induction Kit

Blitz Dump Valve Kit

Full Power Flow System

thats the only mods im aware of, the K&N looks a bit ropey but its going in for oil and filter change on monday.

The weather was dampish about 8 degrees and had just over 1/4 tank with millers added.

ShyTot 22 October 2004 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Herb_93WRX
Induction Kit

Blitz Dump Valve Kit

Full Power Flow System

thats the only mods im aware of, the K&N looks a bit ropey but its going in for oil and filter change on monday.

The weather was dampish about 8 degrees and had just over 1/4 tank with millers added.

Do a search on "fuel surge" for the topics about "cutting out when turning right", or "hitting a brick wall". It may be this. It has happened to me on long right hand bends (or roundabouts) with < half tank of fuel.

Jolly Green Monster 22 October 2004 09:50 AM

try cleaning the boost solenoid (search) and make sure they doesn't over fill the oil when they change it..

Herb_93WRX 22 October 2004 07:04 PM

Thanks for the replys

Jolly Green Monster 22 October 2004 10:18 PM

do you have a boost gauge? it might be over boosting causing fuel cut

Herb_93WRX 22 October 2004 10:58 PM

Hi no there isn't a boost gauge in the car yet,but i'm getting one fitted on monday.

sorry to be ignorant but what causes over boost?

Fantom 23 October 2004 12:16 AM

also, make sure the spark plugs are gapped at 0.7mm.... if the gap it too big then they can cut power at high revs. I had this problem in my 93 wrx due to some jap gimp fitting the plugs previously.

911 23 October 2004 04:31 PM

This is a common problem, one I had too.
Tried ALL the trick (which you will find in the above search suggestions) none worked.
Ended up with a cery expensive boost control which fixed the prob totally.
It's a very bad feeling I know.

Now, if you try all the ideas and still have the prob i suggest you consider an aftermarket ECU. Contact Andy F (search) and talk to him.

good luck, 911

Herb_93WRX 23 October 2004 06:56 PM

Thanks,it dosnt seem all that bad now ive started using millers.

Probably my imagination tho, it did it today but carried right through the rev range to 140mph(private road bout 2mls long dead straight) those boost controlers arent cheap are they.

Worth it tho id expect.

ps 140 is what it said on the clock is that realistic?? This car could convert me from bikes, SP1 hasnt moved since i got it.