ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Knock and octane booster (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/372960-knock-and-octane-booster.html)

Neilo 21 October 2004 11:01 PM

Knock and octane booster

OK,

i just got my car mapped on monday (03 wrx), im just a touch concerned about the knock situation so was hoping for some reassurance that i wasnt going nuts.

Basically when i give it some welly, the knocklink flashes orange (sometimes red) for a small split second and i mean split second, then goes back either fully off, or flickering the first green.

Now my first question is, is this anything to worry about? my next question would be, would this be remedied by simply adding some OB to it? I have some NF which i was intending on using soon anyway, so should i give it a try?

I done want it to blow up so soon after its been done as i have tried to do the mods with an element of safety in mind!!

Thanks,
Neil.

WRX_Rich 21 October 2004 11:06 PM

mine does the sma enow and agian - nf or millers works for me

nf = no flashes what so ever ;)

Neilo 21 October 2004 11:09 PM

what power are you running rich?

WRX_Rich 21 October 2004 11:17 PM

my02 wrx, ecu tek3, equal length headers, sports cat down pipe, hks hiper, green air filter

last time it was rollered at powerstaion with 260 bhp and 270 lbs but its had a second ecutek since then ( you would have to check how powerstation rollers compare to the others, I ve heard about 20 bhp/ 20 lbs down on well lane, but i don't really care

WRX_Rich 21 October 2004 11:22 PM

mate - on the first ecu tek I could light all lights at will and they would hold with boost :0

now bob had a look Its much better, get a orange now and agian with out booster but I got a batch of dodgy petrol once and thought for £3.00 a bottle sod it and kept using it

Im sure the car runs much better with it - but I also like the feel of the car after its had a oil change , may be its just me :)

Neilo 21 October 2004 11:29 PM

ill give the NF a try, the car is running comfortably over 300....which i know is a lot, even with the uprated internals ive used, so hopefully if this sorts it, then ill just buy a supply :)

WRX_Rich 21 October 2004 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Neilo
ill give the NF a try, the car is running comfortably over 300....which i know is a lot, even with the uprated internals ive used, so hopefully if this sorts it, then ill just buy a supply :)

uprated internals :o

is that rolling road 300 or mapper 300, hope you like it you have been waiting long enough :)

Neilo 21 October 2004 11:45 PM

it was 250 at the wheels using the road dyno on delta dash (no i know, not the most accurate) but if you do the calcs then it should be over 300 a fair bit.

By uprated internals i only really mean injectors, intercooler and hosing (oh and 3 port solly)

john banks 21 October 2004 11:50 PM

I would advise you not to accept any spike activity on your knocklink apart from on drag style gearchanges unless the mapper has expressly told you it is OK whilst listening through det cans and advising you what is and isn't safe on your knocklink. It is often nice to have it safe for even a dodgy tank of Optimax so that your NF can be used on hot days or for the track.

A 2.0 engine I know well which runs 280 WHP on Delta Dash and 340 BHP at Star, only ever goes beyond 2nd green on its knocklink with drag style gearchanges. My old 400 BHP 2.0 was the same. If we ran them any sparklier it soon degenerated into a full on knock festival when we kicked their ***** ;)

However, you are running a different ECU, and I map like a girl, so speak to your mapper ;)

Neilo 22 October 2004 12:03 AM

hehe, thanks john, the orange and red is like i said, split second stuff, Pat did say to expect the odd red in that manner, but its still disconcerting. My trouble at the mo is that my knocklink is out of my line of vision so i will have to move it.....so i can see whats going on without having to move my head to look behind the gearstick!! Just wondering whether the advance is slightly too forward...

When its on boost its fine though :)

stevebt 22 October 2004 12:26 AM

you should not have to put NF in to get rid of knock :eek: thats why you map the car so you dont have any knock.

if its hitting red something isnt right

when mapping my car it hit red just before 7000rpm in 4th but 1 hr later and a bit more tuning it was gone :)

Butty 22 October 2004 08:39 AM

Also open up the KL box and make sure that the leds don't have dry joints and aren't lighting up.

Nick

MarksWRX 22 October 2004 08:48 AM

and get that knocklink moved so you can see it.

Neilo 22 October 2004 11:56 PM

done ;)

OK, ive used a bottle of NF today and the knocklink activity is GREATLY reduced, however, there is still the occasional blip even with the NF, so i think it will be wise to get the map tweaked. I shall arrange that asap cos i dont want to keep shelling out for NF!!

Neil.

stevebt 23 October 2004 01:10 AM

so you are using NF and still getting the odd red flash :eek:

Neilo 23 October 2004 02:34 PM

no no, with NF im barely getting a green flash.....no chance of RED!!

WRX_Rich 23 October 2004 06:44 PM

a whole bottle :o, 1 bottle does 3 tanks for me