ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Superchips (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/372108-superchips.html)

phelpsa 19 October 2004 11:52 AM

Superchips

Anyone have one on their WRX bugeye? What is it like?

Adam

Peanuts 19 October 2004 12:13 PM

stick em up your ass!

then get a knocklink, afr meter, dawes device, boost gauge and if your really feeling fruity, a fuel cut defencer.

Then marvel at how much safer your set up is and how youve got an extra £150 over the cost of a so called superchip

:D

ps, did I emphasise enough to not get one?

drb5 19 October 2004 12:22 PM

What about on other cars, or are they just plain and simple "not safe"?

taffyboyo 19 October 2004 01:27 PM

some people run their cars with no probs with a superchip,
why dont you ask on here, how many people have had a bad/good experience with superchip?

Peanuts 19 October 2004 01:29 PM

this may have all the answers you need

DeanF 19 October 2004 01:38 PM

Total Rip Off, Try another route , like remap Etc, They are just money for old rope, I.E a bleed valve & a cheapo fuel cut defender !!!!

Dean

Dav 27 20 October 2004 05:28 PM

SUPERCHIPS

Originally Posted by DeanF
Total Rip Off, Try another route , like remap Etc, They are just money for old rope, I.E a bleed valve & a cheapo fuel cut defender !!!!

Dean

WELL MY CARS HAD A SUOPER CHIP ON SINCE I BOUGHT IT AND I THINK IT WAS ON 3 TO 4 YEARS BEFORE THAT , HAD NO PROBLEMS AS YET ,RUNNING AT 17.5 PSI WITH BLEED VALVE TOO, AND ITS FAST , IVE HAD PEOPLE TELL ME TO TAKE IT OUT , BUT HAVENT DONE SO I THOUGHT ITS BEEN IN THIS LONG SO MAYASWELL LEAVE IT

Dav 27 20 October 2004 05:28 PM

SUPER CHIP

Originally Posted by Dav 27
WELL MY CARS HAD A SUOPER CHIP ON SINCE I BOUGHT IT AND I THINK IT WAS ON 3 TO 4 YEARS BEFORE THAT , HAD NO PROBLEMS AS YET ,RUNNING AT 17.5 PSI WITH BLEED VALVE TOO, AND ITS FAST , IVE HAD PEOPLE TELL ME TO TAKE IT OUT , BUT HAVENT DONE SO I THOUGHT ITS BEEN IN THIS LONG SO MAYASWELL LEAVE IT

ive had the car two years aswell.

john banks 20 October 2004 05:47 PM

It will probably continue to be fine at that level - if not a Jap import - unless a wastegate hose splits or comes off, in which case it won't be able to cut the fuel to save your engine and turbo. A lot of turbos with the wastegate hose off will run quite high boost, at least in the midrange until the exhaust manifold pressure blows the wastegate open.

Most objections are because of:

Raised boost without ignition mapping on imports
Users running the boost too high
The prices charged for what is very basic kit indeed

Dav 27 20 October 2004 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by john banks
It will probably continue to be fine at that level - if not a Jap import - unless a wastegate hose splits or comes off, in which case it won't be able to cut the fuel to save your engine and turbo. A lot of turbos with the wastegate hose off will run quite high boost, at least in the midrange until the exhaust manifold pressure blows the wastegate open.

Most objections are because of:

Raised boost without ignition mapping on imports
Users running the boost too high
The prices charged for what is very basic kit indeed

John it is a jap import , what do you mean , i should take it off a loose alot of power , how come its lasted so long then john any ideas ?

RR 20 October 2004 06:31 PM

John it is a jap import , what do you mean , i should take it off a loose alot of power , how come its lasted so long then john any ideas ?

I would have thought your only really going to see poss fueling issues the higher up the revs u go with increased engine load and fuel demand. And being an import with the limiter still intact is hardly a fast car with higher terminal speed high fuel request. It sounds a very crude cheap way of trying to achieve a power increase. Old import scoobs are 2 a penny, so its prob a option to achieve vthe best results possible for very few £'s as getting another import is cheap enough.

phelpsa 20 October 2004 07:03 PM

So stuff it

Dav 27 20 October 2004 07:11 PM

true

Originally Posted by RR
I would have thought your only really going to see poss fueling issues the higher up the revs u go with increased engine load and fuel demand. And being an import with the limiter still intact is hardly a fast car with higher terminal speed high fuel request. It sounds a very crude cheap way of trying to achieve a power increase. Old import scoobs are 2 a penny, so its prob a option to achieve vthe best results possible for very few £'s as getting another import is cheap enough.

maybe thats why its still kicking then as it only sticks at 112 ,it revs max right up through the gears though ,and like i say its still ok , for now and at 450 quid 5 years ago i think its done its job ok upto now extra 30 bhp , in saying that im not defending supachips or nothing it was on car when i got it ...D.

john banks 20 October 2004 08:16 PM

Agree on the speed issue, but depending on the year and model of the car you could well be getting some detonation. Some are worse than others. Some detonation does more damage than others. I very much doubt it would run lean, far more likely is that the ignition is too far advanced for UK fuel running higher boost.

A knocklink would be a good idea to tell you. I wouldn't run a JDM without one, Superchip or not.

DeanF 21 October 2004 10:01 AM

Well, SHOUT OVER, My main gripe is as stated , the highly over inflated cost for what is really Cheap Tat, Im not slating you for having one, Just the supplier for ripping people off who may not be aware of what they are really getting for there money.

Dean