ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   Anyone tried it in this position!? (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/371058-anyone-tried-it-in-this-position.html)

911 15 October 2004 05:05 PM

Anyone tried it in this position!?

Has anyone tried removing and re-fitting an engine with trans attached in a Classic Sti?
I wonder if this is better if doing a lot of work on both, ie Headers/turbo/up pipe/6 speeder.

saves all the fighting under the car to line up the box and clutch etc.

I have a professional hoist and can get my fingers out of the way quickly....

911 :norty:

Jolly Green Monster 15 October 2004 05:10 PM

Edit as I mis-read the question

David_Wallis 15 October 2004 06:44 PM

Never tried but shoouldnt be a problem with a decent hoist.. watch the front panel, and remove rad..

Engine is piss easy to line up with box.. and much easier to leave box in car IMHO.

Engine removal should be possible in 30 - 45 mins with std fit turbo.

David
David

ustolemyname??stevieturbo 15 October 2004 09:19 PM

Provided it has been out before, and the downpipe bolts dont seize.

It would be a lot more work to try and remove the engine/trans as one unit. Much easier to lift engine, then drop trans.

911 15 October 2004 10:33 PM

I've done it both ways (!) and both are a bitch!
On my 911 you take the lot out from the bottom/back of the car, so easy.

Anyway, it was just a thought.

Thanks for the answers, 911 :norty:

dij 15 October 2004 10:48 PM

If you mean taking the scooby eng + box out from under the car,then I have done it like this and it makes some things easier but other things more difficult.

the main thing to that makes it a bit more of a pain is that the cross member withthe rack has to be dropped at the same time and the wisbones will be undone from the member so at the end you will need realignment.

Otherwise,if you are planning on changing transmission,headrers,turbo,and other bits then it is more easier to work on once its out (providing you have the right equipment).

To take out the eng and box from the top is a no no( IMO),you will deffinately damage something and IIRC the crossmember will still catch the sump (or bell housing I think).

Worthwhile if you have a ramp,otherwise stick to splitting the eng from the box in the car and remove them seperately.

911 16 October 2004 06:59 AM

Thanks Di, I was wondering if it is better (less work) to pull the box/engine out as a whole from the engine bay, but the concensus seems to be no.

911's are so much easier to work on than an Impreza!

APIDavid 16 October 2004 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by 911
Has anyone tried removing and re-fitting an engine with trans attached in a Classic Sti? 911 :norty:

Don't, it's a real pain with little or no gain.

David APi Engines / APi impreza

911 16 October 2004 07:20 PM

Thanks David, I think I knew the answer before I put the thread up.....
Seen my PM yet?

Jolly Green Monster 18 October 2004 10:15 AM

Sorry I read it wrong.. Ithought you meant leave the gearbox in the car.. not pull the gearbox and engine out in one go.. so my answer was completely wrong!! :D

911 18 October 2004 12:44 PM

No probs, just glad someone was reading all my stupid 'Impreza Virgin' threads!
911 :norty: