ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   MY03 STI PPP Rolling road results..... (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/370850-my03-sti-ppp-rolling-road-results.html)

BAH 14 October 2004 11:27 PM

MY03 STI PPP Rolling road results.....

Had my car dyno'd twice recently after problems with ECU, its still never made anywere near the quoted prodrive figures....

Anyone ever got anywere near the quoted figures....???

examples of the same model would be helpfull, as i still think there is something not quit right with this car....

My best so far is below

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bah.bah1/snet/dyno.jpg

D1CCY 15 October 2004 10:43 AM

Not had mine on rollers, just curious are you using a thick engine oil which will cost a bit of drag.

Diccy.

dc911 15 October 2004 11:00 AM

What gear was that done in?
Looks like 4th but i thought the 6speed box was meant to be run in 5th???

mark123 15 October 2004 11:23 AM

when i had myrolling road done guy at power engineering told they never get more than 290 ish bhp from ppp

Jza 15 October 2004 11:27 AM

Think that the standard response from Prodrive is this is down to "heat soak". The PPP ecu closes down full power when the temps rises on the rolling road.

Think you'll struggle to get the full power on a rolling road for the above reason.... but might it not be worth a call to Prodrive?

Have you had any other mods done since the PPP?

Jza

Chubbz 15 October 2004 12:00 PM

I had my sti8 ppp rolling roaded @ power engineering last month and had the same result 287bhp!
They said to me they have never seen a one do more than 290bhp.

Sideways 15 October 2004 12:08 PM

Makes you wonder about buying a PPP. My sti 7 made 278 bhp with a decat centre and backbox only. My 8 just has a backbox.
I'm sure I've seen people on here claiming 307 bhp from a PPP :confused:

Jas

BAH 15 October 2004 01:01 PM

Ive seen a standard STI PPP one do 304bhp and just under 300 torq figure at well lane, the dyno bloke recons mine isnt smooth on the dyno...

Ive had conversations with Prodrive on this which resulted in a replacement ECU as my preveouse figures were less than standard STI, they then swapped ECU and it made the 289...

ShyTot 15 October 2004 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Sideways
Makes you wonder about buying a PPP. My sti 7 made 278 bhp with a decat centre and backbox only. My 8 just has a backbox.

Jas

No it doesn't! My STI7 was a dog to drive on my commute to work without PPP. The offboost to onboost switch was 3800rpm and very aggressive, and off boost there was no power at all. Whatever power it has now with PPP I don't care, it is FAB to drive, before it was a pig

mightyyid 15 October 2004 04:08 PM

Fellas
Need to remember that one man's dyno is another mans dinner (sort of!) - my point being that comparing dyno figures is almost pointless. The only way you know what your car is doing is to dyno it at a fairly even temperature, make the modifications there and then, then dyno it again, hoping the temp change is not too much. Given your car was standard at the start, and you know the difference on a chart, you can work that out as a percentage and get a fairly accurate figure. Otherwise, you may as well guess....

T5NYW 15 October 2004 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by mightyyid
Given your car was standard at the start, and you know the difference on a chart, you can work that out as a percentage and get a fairly accurate figure. Otherwise, you may as well guess....

Agreed, Rolling are a bit of fun ;) but you will get a better idea of with Deltadash or a AP22 meter as there take measurement whilst on a Road :D

Originally Posted by ShyTot
No it doesn't! My STI7 was a dog to drive on my commute to work without PPP. The offboost to onboost switch was 3800rpm and very aggressive, and off boost there was no power at all. Whatever power it has now with PPP I don't care, it is FAB to drive, before it was a pig

I to have a STi7 and totally agree with you it was a pig before PPP :cool: it's what it drives like and not how many horses ;) the longest 6 months of my life waiting to get PPP :(

Tony

16vmarc 15 October 2004 05:38 PM

Erm.. I may be talking crap here but, arent rolling roads and dynos two differant things?

:confused:

marklemac 15 October 2004 05:55 PM

Good 'ol heat soak.

Best my PPP ever did was 289 on the rollers. Worst is 261 (less than standard).

Contacted Prodrive, told it was heaksoak.

Anyhow, Tek3 and bigger turbo coming soon ;)

T5NYW 15 October 2004 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by 16vmarc
Erm.. I may be talking crap here but, arent rolling roads and dynos two differant things?

:confused:

I think your right, Technically, but both do a very simular job, but differently ;) so maybe classed as Dynometers

IIRC Traditionally a 'Dyno' the engine is removed are bolted on it and a fluid flywheel arrangement puts the adjustable load onto the Engine. A rolling road Test a whole Car ;)

Hope this helps

Tony

Sti_Lad 15 October 2004 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Sideways

Jas

I was at G force beginning of year and got 317 bhp from my ppp MY03 Sti

Then again it was running with Decat and filter.... rolling road operator struggled initially due to high inlets...

Still happy with figures I got! :)

Butty 15 October 2004 09:03 PM

The WR1 shootout last month showed book figures for practically all cars. The results were also comparable against other RR data that Prodrive had gained.
So what's so different about the WR1 that allows it to not be affected by "heatsoak"

Nick

hawkeye 15 October 2004 09:05 PM

probably the fact that "mike Wood" tweaked a few cars whilst there will have helped a bit

:D

Gutmann pug 15 October 2004 09:13 PM

just goes to show that the TSL re-map, zorst and fuel pump is good value ....329BHP for me. No warranty of course but hey ho thats life

hawkeye 15 October 2004 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by BAH
Had my car dyno'd twice recently after problems with ECU, its still never made anywere near the quoted prodrive figures....

Anyone ever got anywere near the quoted figures....???

examples of the same model would be helpfull, as i still think there is something not quit right with this car....

My best so far is below

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bah.bah1/snet/dyno.jpg

ive heard of auto-gas where abouts near thirsk are they?

didn't realise there was a rolling road in that area???

BAH 19 October 2004 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Butty
The WR1 shootout last month showed book figures for practically all cars. The results were also comparable against other RR data that Prodrive had gained.
So what's so different about the WR1 that allows it to not be affected by "heatsoak"

Nick

Its all very odd....which dyno was the wr1 shootout....?

Think maybe prodrive have tweeked up the cars to make them achive the correct figures.

Were they run up in 4th or 5th gear..?

BAH 19 October 2004 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by hawkeye
ive heard of auto-gas where abouts near thirsk are they?

didn't realise there was a rolling road in that area???

Yes its in Carlton Miniot near thirsk, the paint is still wet in the dyno room, and sems to be a good setup

hades 19 October 2004 10:23 PM

All the figures depend very strongly on which RR you go to. I know someone who got 302bhp with an STi7 at G-force, and only 290 at Power Engineering. Would probably barely make 270 at power station. Which is right? Who knows, who cares? Look for a comparison between PPP and no PPP on the same rollers to give some idea, but the real thing is how it drives.