ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Summer/Winter fuel economy (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/370726-summer-winter-fuel-economy.html)

De Warrenne 14 October 2004 05:04 PM

Summer/Winter fuel economy

I know you don't buy a scoob for its cheapness to run, but once again the switch from summer to winter (autumn?) fuel economy has astounded me.

Driving a MY98 Turbo, totally standard:

Case 1) did 320 miles to a tank, late August (after the rain had stopped, and it was sunny, go on you remember that week)

Case 2) Just managed 240 miles on a tank in mid October...

Again, I know my driving 'style' may have been different in these weeks, but still interested to know if others share the pain?

paulhsti 14 October 2004 05:09 PM

04 STI
1300 miles old
mixed driving including lots of steady 50 mph gave 245 miles for 55 litres = 20.25MPG Optimax fuel (87.9p)- just swopped to sainsbury super at 82.9p so will see on next tank full.
Not impressed even for a fastish motor.

Bing_2004 14 October 2004 07:17 PM

I've got a 1997 Type R and I average about 27 MPG. Haven't noticed any change between summer and winter.

Dan J 14 October 2004 07:20 PM

Wish I could get 320 out of a tank. I've got a MY00 and average 230 regardless of the weather and that's not driving it too hard.

Pastor 14 October 2004 07:20 PM

Surely the colder it is the denser the fuel is at the pump?

Also colder=more power which might explain why your economy goes down. Then again I know sod all about it but have also noticed no difference in economy. Car is definitley quicker in colder air though.

ThrustSSC 14 October 2004 07:27 PM

I track my mileage religiously on a spreadsheet. 33,500 so far on my year-old MY03 STi. No difference summer to winter in fuel consumption but, as others have noted, you can tell through your bum when it's a cold day :-)

hades 14 October 2004 09:10 PM

Likewise, not noticed a difference in economy with temperature, but it is definitely quicker in cold air. And I recently did 370 miles on a tank :p (02WRX with mods, >280bhp at PE), and even then it was only ~56 litres to fill it up.

robby 14 October 2004 09:26 PM

i've been getting around 300 to the tank since i've had my 01 (6 weeks) - filled up today after it ran to empty line at 230miles :-(

6 pot 14 October 2004 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by De Warrenne
I know you don't buy a scoob for its cheapness to run, but once again the switch from summer to winter (autumn?) fuel economy has astounded me.

Driving a MY98 Turbo, totally standard:

Case 1) did 320 miles to a tank, late August (after the rain had stopped, and it was sunny, go on you remember that week)

Case 2) Just managed 240 miles on a tank in mid October...

Again, I know my driving 'style' may have been different in these weeks, but still interested to know if others share the pain?

Stop fookin worrying about it just do it :hjtwofing

Mozzie 15 October 2004 12:38 PM

I only ever put £20 in at once cos otherwise I figure I'm only lugging around extra weight that will make it even more thirsty, but generally my Sport wagon (yes, I know its not comparable with all you other lucky folks) has been doing approx 30mpg at 78.9p/l. And that is when I drive it really hard.

The last two fill ups and it's suddenly now doing about 25mpg. Not a huge diff, but still if you do high mileage, its noticable. Plus, if you are poor, like me, it hurts your bank account. :cry: And the cost of fuel in Poole just went up to 80.9p/l so I'm even poorer.

:)