ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Buying a new mountain bike today (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/370581-buying-a-new-mountain-bike-today.html)

TopBanana 14 October 2004 10:46 AM

Buying a new mountain bike today

About to buy a Giant NRS-2 (04 model) today. Best price I've found is £750.

Anything I should know, or other bikes I should try, before I part with the cash? Tried the Gary Fisher cakes but preferred the Giant riding position and value for money!

Nevetas 14 October 2004 10:49 AM

Mr Otway is resident bike expert!

TopBanana 14 October 2004 10:52 AM

Paging Otway... call for Otway

:D

DrJP 14 October 2004 01:17 PM

I bought a mountain bike in may this year, I was keen on a giant but some of the models(around £600) were already sold out for all of 2004, I ended up buying a trek. The giants are nice though

unclebuck 14 October 2004 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Nevetas
Mr Otway is resident bike expert!

So he claims....

TopBanana 14 October 2004 01:34 PM

Anyone dealt with De Ver Cycles in Streatham?

Andy Hall 14 October 2004 03:31 PM

Hi TB
I bought the XTC4 and am really pleased with it, I tried the NRS's but couldnt justify the extra money at the time, as it was my first proper bike. That seems like quite a good price too.

Enjoy

How about starting a MTB forum, theres one for just about everything else on here now?

MarkO 15 October 2004 09:13 AM

I'm here, never fear. :D Wouldn't class myself as an 'expert', but I've ridden a lot and worked in a bike show for most of last year, so at the very least I can cut through the bullsh1t (most of it posted by UB :p) and get you the answers you need.

If you can get an NRS £750, you can't go wrong. It's a quality bike, assuming you want a full-sus XC bike. If you're looking for something more free-ridey with big travel, you might want to consider ex-demo or 2nd-hand at that price. You could probably pick up an Orange 5 or something similar for a bit less than a grand.

The other thing you could do is to build up a bike yourself, but it's a bit more convoluted.

pbee 15 October 2004 09:28 AM

I had a go on a NRS3 when I bought my XTC4 from pauls cycles, couldnt justify the exra cost and wasnt sure I wanted a full susser. The riding I do im quicker on a hardtail.

You may want to check out this carbon scott as its in your price range.

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/SCOTT.htm

MarkO 15 October 2004 09:32 AM

Oooooh. Nice prices. I can highly recommend the carbon Scott Strikes. Cracking bikes, 4.5" of travel at each end and yet weigh about 27lbs. Superb. Depending on what you regularly ride, I'd pick one of them over the NRS any day*

* Well, except for today, 'cos I'd pick the Slayer which I'm collecting tomorrow morning. ;)

the moose 15 October 2004 09:54 AM

The Scott was light, for sure, and Mrs Moose loved riding it. I'd destroy it in about a week though - tree/bike interfaces tend to have that effect.

ChrisB 15 October 2004 09:59 AM

Generally, interfacing anything less than a tank with a tree tends to result in the tree winning!

MarkO 15 October 2004 11:07 AM

What about chalets? ;) :p

the moose 15 October 2004 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by MarkO
What about chalets? ;) :p

B@stard!

At least my bike's ready, collected, and has been ridden. Not by me - Mrs Moose wanted to ride it today - but it's not sitting in a bike shop, unlike some others, eh MarkO?

MarkO 15 October 2004 11:29 AM

I believe there's a chance mine might be ready today, assuming the M4 monos turned up yesterday. But it doesn't make any difference to me anyway, 'cos I can't ride it until tomorrow even if I wanted to. ;)

TopBanana 15 October 2004 11:39 AM

The Scott does look interesting. Thanks for the tip-off. Problem is... that's miles away from me!

Edcase 15 October 2004 11:43 AM

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=370934

I can get you one of these (frame only, rrp 1100 in the sale) for silly money.

PM me if you are interested. :)

MarkO 15 October 2004 12:15 PM

TopBanana - see if you can get a demo of a Scott somewhere locally, and then just get that shop to post one to you. :)

Edcase, how much is 'silly money'? ;)

Edcase 15 October 2004 12:24 PM

*cough*575*cough*

MarkO 15 October 2004 12:31 PM

Pffft. My Rocky Mountain Slayer frame cost £100 less than that. ;)

Edcase 15 October 2004 12:36 PM

:eek:

er, how?

Edcase 15 October 2004 12:38 PM

Out of interest of course, I much prefer the moho slix anyway ;)

MarkO 15 October 2004 12:39 PM

;) '03 frame, direct from a shop the US. It'll actually come out at about £520 by the time I've paid VAT, but we've had no invoice from Customs yet. :)

They had 16 in stock 2 weeks ago, but at least two of them have been sold now. No major differences between the '03 and '04 frames (other than the paint job) so given the choice of £1299 RRP for the '04 frame in the UK, and approximately £400 + VAT for the '03 frame from the US, it wasn't a hard choice to make. ;)

Got some US '05 130mm Fox Vanilla Rs on eBay for £260, too. I love the internet. ;) :D :cool:

Edcase 15 October 2004 12:50 PM

Got some US '05 130mm Fox Vanilla Rs on eBay for £260, too. I love the internet. ;) :D :cool:

bah, now that does make me smart. Not convinced by these mx comp 110's, but maybe thats cos I'm coming from Pace Monstors...

MarkO 15 October 2004 12:54 PM

I thought about getting some Pace, but having worked in a shop where (not even during the winter) we had to send a pair back to Pace about every 4-6 weeks to get the seals replaced, it's clear they're just not up to the british weather (which is daft for a british fork). The guys at the shop offered me some RC40s with a decent discount, but I just don't trust 'em.

Whereas Fox are totally <ronseal> and seem pretty bombproof. In a year I don't really remember anyone coming in with major problems on Fox Forx, except for one chap who'd DH raced a pair on a 222 (D'uh) and even then Tim Flooks sorted them again fairly easily.

Edcase 15 October 2004 12:55 PM

like these???

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...106701324&rd=1

MarkO 15 October 2004 01:02 PM

Basically, but mine are just the Rs, not the RLCs. Don't really need compression adjust, and certainly will never use lockout. That's not a bad price, actually, for the RLCs. I think they're about $600 in the US, and hardly anyone (except, IIRC, Stif) have the '05s in the UK yet.

The guy selling the pair I bought had 3 sets or Rs on eBay, and there was a buy-it-now price of £250 + P&P. Seemed too good to miss. :D

the moose 15 October 2004 01:05 PM

I thought about getting some Pace, but having worked in a shop where (not even during the winter) we had to send a pair back to Pace about every 4-6 weeks to get the seals replaced, it's clear they're just not up to the british weather (which is daft for a british fork). The guys at the shop offered me some RC40s with a decent discount, but I just don't trust 'em.

Whereas Fox are totally <ronseal> and seem pretty bombproof. In a year I don't really remember anyone coming in with major problems on Fox Forx, except for one chap who'd DH raced a pair on a 222 (D'uh) and even then Tim Flooks sorted them again fairly easily.

Manitou Minute 3 - best fork I've ridden.

Edcase 15 October 2004 01:12 PM

Basically, but mine are just the Rs, not the RLCs. Don't really need compression adjust, and certainly will never use lockout. That's not a bad price, actually, for the RLCs. I think they're about $600 in the US, and hardly anyone (except, IIRC, Stif) have the '05s in the UK yet.

The guy selling the pair I bought had 3 sets or Rs on eBay, and there was a buy-it-now price of £250 + P&P. Seemed too good to miss. :D

Dag-nammit!

Just been right through and nothing doing :(

TopBanana 15 October 2004 01:13 PM

The Scott doesn't have disc brakes, I don't think the frame will take them either. Seems a bit retro :(