ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Camera van.. cant work out what for?? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/370447-camera-van-cant-work-out-what-for.html)

mart360 13 October 2004 09:06 PM

Camera van.. cant work out what for??

Had a short day today.

on the way home i was traveling up the A27 nr Chichester

came of the bypass over one roundabout onto the next nat speed limit dc

lamposts so it should be 60..

at the next rb its 30 then as you join the next dc its nat speed (60)

there was a car behind so i set off, and clocked a cam van sitting the layby

approx 50 yds from the start of dc..

there was a fed starship with him too

question is what was he after

speed?? or tax

it was a tranny with blacked out rear windows, but had the cam logo on the van..

are they being sneaky and trying to catch people accelerating out of a 30

its a 30 limit going north south over the roundabout, but 60 (dual carrage way) 30 (roundabout) 60 ( duel carrageway) going east west

i,m pretty sure i was only doing 40 but i have this sneaking suspician they

were aiming for the people coming on at over 30..

feckers

Mart

Dave_A 13 October 2004 09:13 PM

Sounds about right - saw a camera van with two traffic cars parked up in front of it yersterday on a dual carrigeway, just off a 50mph speedlimit + roundabout. Its a ******* of a place to sit, because, like me, many people come onto the roundabout via the designated 'on' lane (ie no need to give way as its segregated off from the actual roundabout) and then accelerate into the right lane to pass slower moving lorries that have slowed down due to camber/corner/gradient of hill. Of course you are busy looking at the traffic in front and anything alongside, not whats parked up on the grass verge 500 yards up the road, so anyone giving it some will get nabbed.

The odd thing is that in the days of undermanned police forces and lack of traffic cars in general out on the road, why the need for a camera van + 2 cars + whatever had gone off in pusuit of offending vehicles?

Dave
www.scoobyphotos.com

chris's scooby 13 October 2004 09:16 PM

Don't know. Not any mention of it on here.

http://www.sussexsafetycameras.gov.uk/mobile.htm

mart360 13 October 2004 09:21 PM

hmm interesting,,

and i didnt see any warning signs either..

Mart

highlander68k 13 October 2004 09:57 PM

The middle of the month tends to be the purge on tax dodgers.

IIRC the computer system will now be updated with those who have not renewed their tax from the beginning of the month.

I'm sure someone will put me right (quickly) if I'm wrong.

theotherphil 14 October 2004 07:33 AM

If it were a speed camera, it wouldn't have the fed starships. They only use the Police cars when stopping for tax/ insurance (which can also be checked immediately via number plate recognition). A friend of mine always gets stopped and given a producer in these "traps" as he runs his own car on his traders policy, hence it looks like the car is uninsured.

corradoboy 14 October 2004 07:49 AM

Just so you know, NSL on a DC is 70mph, unless you're towing (60) or in a HGV (60 < 7.5 tonne / 50 > 7.5 tonne)

jasonius 14 October 2004 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by corradoboy
Just so you know, NSL on a DC is 70mph, unless you're towing (60) or in a HGV (60 >7.5 tonne / 50 > 7.5 tonne)

Spot on!

mart360 14 October 2004 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by jasonius
Spot on!

unless indicated otherwise!!

there is a nice dc in the next county at 30 with a gatso to boot!!!

corradoboy 14 October 2004 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by mart360
unless indicated otherwise!!

If it was indicated otherwise, it wouldn't be NSL :rolleyes: ;)

Sbradley 14 October 2004 06:18 PM

theotherphil, your mate *must* have his vehicle specifically mentioned on his trader's policy and must advise the MID accordingly. We got stitched up like this last year by our f-wit broker who sold us some extremely expensive cover which turned out not to be covering us at all...

So anyway, he shouldn't keep getitng tugged if he's done that ;)

SB

Subaru_Impreza 14 October 2004 06:51 PM

hi i saw that van yesterday and there were two police cars sat a bit further up do you know if they were speed checking can they catch me if i was on the other side of the dual carriage way
thanks

mart360 14 October 2004 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Subaru_Impreza
hi i saw that van yesterday and there were two police cars sat a bit further up do you know if they were speed checking can they catch me if i was on the other side of the dual carriage way
thanks

ermm dunno thats why i posted..

now its the waiting game.

Mart

Felix. 15 October 2004 02:02 PM

If the camera van has traffic cars further up the road, then the camera is being used to stop insurance/MOT/Tax dodgers, crime cars, disqual drivers, crime pool cars, drunk drivers, drug-trafficing cars, missing persons, wanted persons etc etc.

It works by the camera feeding registration info into a computer, which in turn will inform the traffic cars if a certain car is wanted.

It does work very well and leads to good arrests

simo 15 October 2004 02:17 PM

Its deffo one to crack down on the tax dodgers uninsured scum & general low life with o/s warrents etc.

Much as it pains me to say this I support the feds on this one. At least it gets some of the above twats off the road b4 they crash in to you & me.

they might even catch a stolen car or 2 :)

simon

warrenm2 15 October 2004 04:18 PM

it would have been a ANPR van - gvmt has given each force some cash for this so they have to be seen to be using it....

davegtt 15 October 2004 04:23 PM

seen this used on the A1 before and Im in full support of it, as said at least they are catching some proper motor criminals

f1 15 October 2004 05:41 PM

just seen one of these today. Had a sign in front of it, but you couldn't see the sign 'cos someone had parked in front of it. All for them catching the dodgers though. The marked cars were about a mile ahead in the layby, no probs there though 'cos there was nowhere for anyone to turn off anyway !!!

Good for them.

mart360 15 October 2004 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by f1
just seen one of these today. Had a sign in front of it, but you couldn't see the sign 'cos someone had parked in front of it. All for them catching the dodgers though. The marked cars were about a mile ahead in the layby, no probs there though 'cos there was nowhere for anyone to turn off anyway !!!

Good for them.

The feds were in the layby with the van... if they had been anywhere else, the offenders could have turned off at some of the other roundabouts..

Mart

TDT 15 October 2004 05:57 PM

ANPR is a fantastic bit of kit. Stolen scoob sailed past our base at shift change time - you've never seen such a stampede to get out of the yard.

Oh.....2 in custody :D

f1 15 October 2004 07:36 PM

Matt360, no they weren't in the layby, there literally was no where else for anyone to turn round, unless they can jump the ditch either side of the road.

Dark Blue Mark 16 October 2004 11:06 AM

Now that sort of sneaky behaviour I do approve of, and they will catch genuine criminals rather than just a bit of speeding :)

MB