ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Mandatory donation (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/370230-mandatory-donation.html)

OllyK 13 October 2004 09:26 AM

Mandatory donation

Just wondering if the company I work for can do this from a legal standpoint.

They have introduced a casual day for charity once a month. If you come in casual clothing you have to pay £1. If you don't, you have to pay £2. Can they legally force employees to do this??

This is not an objection to contributing to charity, I contribute myself to the charities I choose and more than £1 a mont, I just object the draconian measures being employed.

Pastor 13 October 2004 09:28 AM

Just don't pay, tell them why and let them take whatever action is required. I'd love to see what an industrial tribunal would have to say about this.

Old_Fart 13 October 2004 09:29 AM

They can't legally enforce it. Kick up a fuss and bask in the good opinion of your fellow workers...though somehow I think it more likely they lable you a tightwad.
Cman

andrewdelvard 13 October 2004 09:30 AM

No they can't but it's only a pound or two. No big deal is it? You tired today? ;)

CrisPDuk 13 October 2004 09:33 AM

It is illegal for a charity to pressurise a person into making a donation. Therefore, I would assume that it is illegal for a third party to pressure a person into making a donation on behalf of that charity?

CrisPDuk 13 October 2004 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Old_Fart
They can't legally enforce it. Kick up a fuss and bask in the good opinion of your fellow workers...though somehow I think it more likely they lable you a tightwad.
Cman

IMO that's a bit unfair, he's already stated that he donates to charities of HIS choice, why should he be mad to feel guilty about not donating to a charity of somebody elses choice?

I fully agree with Olly's standpoint, I used to, but now no longer give to any charities, as I am totally p!ssed of with the guilt trip tactics most of them now choose to employ:mad:

OllyK 13 October 2004 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by andrewdelvard
No they can't but it's only a pound or two. No big deal is it? You tired today? ;)

It is a pound or 2 that then does not go to the charities that I choose to support, so yes it is a big deal. I don't have a problem with supporting charities, but I prefer to choose the ones I want to support and not have to have it imposed upon me.

andrewdelvard 13 October 2004 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by OllyK
It is a pound or 2 that then does not go to the charities that I choose to support, so yes it is a big deal. I don't have a problem with supporting charities, but I prefer to choose the ones I want to support and not have to have it imposed upon me.

Reasonable enough.

fast bloke 13 October 2004 09:42 AM

go dressed really really scruffy and refuse to pay :D

OllyK 13 October 2004 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by fast bloke
go dressed really really scruffy and refuse to pay :D

I shall stay in my suit (for which they want twice the donation), but shall still refuse to pay, just wanted to know where I stood that's all.

Neanderthal 13 October 2004 09:56 AM

Can't you just tell them which charity your £1 should be donated to?
I'm all for standing up for your principles but I have to wonder what your co-workers are going to think of you....

davegtt 13 October 2004 10:01 AM

dont think any1 here is calling Olly a tightwad but I see the point, his work mates would probably think hes a grouch and tight... (unless they already do ;) ) tbh Id rather go down the pub with that £2 ;) :D

OllyK 13 October 2004 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Neanderthal
Can't you just tell them which charity your £1 should be donated to?
I'm all for standing up for your principles but I have to wonder what your co-workers are going to think of you....

No, this is the problem, they did this for the first time a few weeks back. I came in dressed as normal, but paid anyway as I assumed it was a one off. Seeing as it has "gone so well", they have decided to enforce it for the last Friday of every month for just this one charity. It isn't even like everybody was asked which charity and the majority was selected, or that it rotates each month, it was chosen by the head of HR and that is the one charity the money goes to.

davegtt 13 October 2004 10:13 AM

if its gonna be once a month it sounds a little steep, thats £25 a year :eek: half a tank of fuel there :D

King RA 13 October 2004 10:16 AM

pay the money you tight ponce. For crying out loud I'd gladly pay that not to wear a crappy suit.

You must look like a right dick at work being the only one walking around in a shirt and tie.

What people must say about you behind your back...*snigger*

Pastor 13 October 2004 10:17 AM

Surely it isn't about being "tight" it's about being forced to do something by some tin pot dictator. I bet there are others unhappy about the situation but worried to dissent because of the attitude of people like ra.
Mail 'em a link to this this thread and I'll be happy to explain what's wrong with their policy.

OllyK 13 October 2004 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by King RA
pay the money you tight ponce. For crying out loud I'd gladly pay that not to wear a crappy suit.

You must look like a right dick at work being the only one walking around in a shirt and tie.

What people must say about you behind your back...*snigger*

You really haven't read this thread at all have you??

I donate rather more than £2 a month to charity, but to the charities that I support, I don't like others telling me I have to support their charity when I would rather the spare cash goes to the charities I have a close affinity with.

Besides I am in a customer facing role so I still have to wear a suit anyway as do the rest of the consultancy team so that point is moot.

King RA 13 October 2004 10:22 AM

Well I still think your a ponce ;)

Surely you don't have to wear a suit if it's a casual day??

lightning101 13 October 2004 10:28 AM

Is the person collecting the money a registered charity collector and have you seen proof of this ?

You need permission to collect money from the public.

OllyK 13 October 2004 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by King RA
Well I still think your a ponce ;)

Surely you don't have to wear a suit if it's a casual day??

Which part of "I am in a customer facing role so I still have to wear a suit anyway" don't you understand??

OllyK 13 October 2004 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by lightning101
Is the person collecting the money a registered charity collector and have you seen proof of this ?
You need permission to collect money from the public.

No a marked up tin is placed with a "nominated" person in each department and it is up to them to collect the money.

Frosty The Snowman 13 October 2004 10:30 AM

These things do bug me as I choose to support just one charity, The Red Cross, and really would prefer them to get and money I give than anyone else. I pay a DD to them once a month, for much more than I used to give, and get evils from the Psycho Charity Girl here every time I don't donate to whatever charity of the moment some celebrity is banging on about on TV.

Brendan Hughes 13 October 2004 10:32 AM

If you are giving money to charity, aren't you allowed to claim the tax back on it? So you donate a quid and the government should chip in an extra 30p? Are you seeing proof of that? Tell 'em you don't want to be any part of their money laundering scheme :D:D

King RA 13 October 2004 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by OllyK
Which part of "I am in a customer facing role so I still have to wear a suit anyway" don't you understand??

Don't get shirty son ;)

OllyK 13 October 2004 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
If you are giving money to charity, aren't you allowed to claim the tax back on it? So you donate a quid and the government should chip in an extra 30p? Are you seeing proof of that? Tell 'em you don't want to be any part of their money laundering scheme :D:D

You have to gift aid or covenant it for that to apply. When you sign the document it allows the charity to claim back the tax on your donation. Another reason I prefer to dontate the way I do, the charities I support get more.