ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Dealer and Third Party Supplier Queries (https://www.scoobynet.com/dealer-and-third-party-supplier-queries-3/)
-   -   Uk 6 Speed (https://www.scoobynet.com/dealer-and-third-party-supplier-queries-3/368485-uk-6-speed.html)

DaveBlueRA 07 October 2004 12:12 AM

Uk 6 Speed

Anyone any ideas where the best place to get a uk 6 speed from or a rough idea of how much they are from subaru

cheers

theotherphil 07 October 2004 09:11 AM

Yeah, I'd be interested in this also for my MY95 UK Turbo. Is it just a box I need or do I need supporting components?

Cheers.

JohnS 07 October 2004 11:48 AM

These can be found 2nd hand for about £1.5k - £2k from breakers, and also people who import Japanese car parts, but there is a keen market for them, so you'll need to be quick if you find one.

You can buy them new from a Subaru dealer, but expect to pay well over £3k for one, by the time you pay VAT.

As well as the box, you'll also need a gear linkage (extra if buying a new one from Subaru, but probably included on a 2nd hand one), gear knob, and a propshaft of the correct length (I believe the auto box propshaft is the same length), but again you can buy new from Subaru (think they were between £300 and £400).

You are probably looking at a new clutch and flywheel at the same time (makes sense if everything else is out, unless you replaced it recently).

Quite a few people have fitted these to classics now, so have a search in the projects/drivetrain sections for more info and hints on how to fit them.

John

Mark A 07 October 2004 12:34 PM

Contact David at API, he's been selling these for a while but the majority are JDM

Mark

M0NEY 07 October 2004 08:15 PM

Fitted mine to the classic no probs.

6 speeds quite hard at the mo. Used to be able to get them for about £1500 but now can get them for around £1650. All depends if supplier has stock. Supplier has 2 in stock i believe but these are sold already :(

APIDavid 08 October 2004 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Mark A
Contact David at API, he's been selling these for a while but the majority are JDM Mark

True indeed!, We do get them but almost only ever JDM. I have had 15 JDM and one UK type this year. We are now getting the first few JDM with dccd arriving.

We currently have unloaded 6 total this week, of which 5 are sold, we sell as a ' kit'

The kit comprises gearbox, selector linkage and propshaft. ALL other parts fit Ok and can remain as standard. Quite often the Japanese have nicked the six speed gear knob:mad: but that's life.

If fitting to a UK car you'll need a 3.9:1 rear diff, because the transfer gears on a JDM bos are 1:1 whereas the UK boxes are 1.1:1. [ Don't ask ]

APi Japan have another 5 in stock at the moment and we expect to have those here late in November or early December.

Price from me for a kit is £1800 plus VAT and delivery for standard and £2500 plus vat and delivery for the kit of the dccd variety.

David APi Engines / APi Imports

DaveBlueRA 10 October 2004 05:20 PM

Had a price of £2500+vat for 6 speed box, gear linkage and prop shaft :eek2:

blue-scoop 03 November 2004 05:27 AM

Can someone go through the process of fitting one of these and the problems that may arise. Also will the wiring be the same as the classic.
I have a UK 6-speed by the way:)

The Fixer 09 November 2004 11:29 AM

I will have a UK 6 speed for sale very shortly but it needs front diff repairing, on the upside it comes with the prop & linkage :D Open to offers :)