ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   Ultimate high power build (4cyl)? (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/367391-ultimate-high-power-build-4cyl.html)

Danny Boy 03 October 2004 10:56 PM

Ultimate high power build (4cyl)?

If you were starting from scratch building a high power subaru engine what route would you choose assuming you were staying with the 4 cylnder design.

Which block? Im thinking early closed deck design
Which crank, rods, pistons? Possibly 2.2 / 2.33 stroker option
Which heads?
and any other ancilleries that would be preferable from one MY over another?

Im thinking of starting a bit of a project but need to do more research on the internals side of things. Have been lurking for quite a while so have got a fair idea of whats going on.

Thanks

Dan.

john banks 03 October 2004 11:07 PM

Budget? Usage? Do you mind it blowing up?

IMHO, if budget less than say £15K (minimum IMHO) +car (unless you do a lot yourself or have a lot of the supporting mods already), you want genuine 500+ BHP performance and want to use it every day and want it to last properly forget it, it is all experimental.

Which of these things do you want to compromise on?

Danny Boy 03 October 2004 11:24 PM

Just treating this as a hyperthetical exercise at the moment to guage what the general concencuss is, the cost side of things can be thought of later once i have figured out the best way to go.

As for the usage side, this would be a seperate buid over quite a long period to be put in my existing car, so i can put a working UK2L and gearbox on the shelf for when the high power one blows up.

It would get used hard for trackdays and drag racing cos it would be rude to build something like that and not give it some stick.

As for labour it will be mostly done myself and i have a fair few supporting mods on the car already and the grated knuckles to prove it!

I appreciate that alot of this state of tuning is very experimental at the moment, but i really enjoy tinkering around with my scoob and see this as a challenge to learn and potentially build something bl00dy quick!

Dan.

Andy.F 03 October 2004 11:32 PM

Perhaps "ultimate" is a bad word to use ? The ultimate build will cost 20x JB's price estimate................do you really mean ultimate ?

Andy

Danny Boy 03 October 2004 11:45 PM

Prob is the wrong word to use but it got the right guys looking at the thread, it's people with your sort of experience i reall yneed to pick the brains of.

Dan.

P.S. your car looked great @ TOTB3 andy, gave some of the more established guys a bit of a fright i think.

Danny Boy 03 October 2004 11:47 PM

If i can find out what the best or ultimate would be, then i can scale down my ambitions more in line with my wallet ;-)

Dan.

Andy.F 04 October 2004 12:01 AM

It's just that my "ultimate" would involve a new design of block, crank, rods, head castings, cams, plenums, throttle bodys etc etc :D In fact there would be very few if any oe parts left and considering development costs, little change from £500k :eek:

If you mean a reliable, say 500 bhp then that's a bit easier, any more then I'm afraid you are leading the way WRT to running any sort of mileage on it.

Andy

Danny Boy 04 October 2004 12:04 AM

Ok lets put a 500hp ceiling on it and stick to mostly stock parts with some mods for major things like block and heads to keep things on a not so insane path.
Maybe it should read ultimate realistic high power build.

Dan.

Pavlo 04 October 2004 01:27 PM

LOL

I say go back to the ultimate plan but I will only charge you £400k ;)

Paul

john banks 04 October 2004 01:38 PM

Swap ultimate Impreza for a house ;) A fairly nice one up here :D

P20SPD 04 October 2004 02:01 PM

Agree with John :D

Pavlo 04 October 2004 02:57 PM

maybe he already has a house?

I want ultimate! I want ultimate!

ULTIMATE!!!!!!

Paul

Tim W 04 October 2004 03:06 PM

Well go down to your local BP Garage then Paul :rolleyes:

:p ;)

Pavlo 04 October 2004 09:42 PM

uuuurgh!

Danny Boy 04 October 2004 10:13 PM

No ure quite right a house does have to come first but there is no harm in dreaming and maybe syphoning a bit of cash off towards a pretty sorted impreza.
There is no point trying to dissuade me now i have the modding bug!
Oh for money to be no option, Andy and Pavlo might have got quite alot of business!

Andy.F 04 October 2004 10:20 PM

Danny, have you seen the mess you caused with this on 22b ! ;):D

Andy

Danny Boy 04 October 2004 10:22 PM

LOL
Just about to go and have a look, didn't mean to cause a riot!

Dan.

stevebt 05 October 2004 12:00 AM

pmsl :)