ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   X-box live via NTL (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/366591-x-box-live-via-ntl.html)

scoobyvirgin 30 September 2004 04:47 PM

X-box live via NTL

I've already got 750k broadband so how do I connect my X-box to it? I've seen that NTL have a seperate X-box broadband tariff so do I have to order that?

Cheers.

Hanslow 30 September 2004 04:51 PM

If you have a router (or you change the xbox mac-address to that of your PC) then you don't need the gamers pack. Their broadband service ties it in to the mac address of your network adaptor. You can get round this by spoofing the mac-address of your XBox to be the same as the PC, then you can just swap cables over.

The gamers pack allows two mac-addresses on the connection, allowing you to run the XBox and PC in parallel on broadband. If you have a router though, you just plug the NTL cable into that so they only see one mac-address anyway ;)

Iain Young 30 September 2004 05:00 PM

I've got a router connected to the BB modem, and I've got the xbox, 3 pcs, and 2 laptops (wireless) connected to the router :)

Hanslow 30 September 2004 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Iain Young
I've got a router connected to the BB modem, and I've got the xbox, 3 pcs, and 2 laptops (wireless) connected to the router :)

...and no space left in the house :D

I've just got 2 PCs, one laptop and the XBox going through my router :(

Need to get some more toys ;)

scoobyvirgin 30 September 2004 09:11 PM

Ok, so what router do you recommend I get and how do I go about spoofing the mac address?

ScoobyJawa 30 September 2004 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by Hanslow

I've just got 2 PCs, one laptop and the XBox going through my router :(

Need to get some more toys ;)

Ditto :D

Hanslow 30 September 2004 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by scoobyvirgin
Ok, so what router do you recommend I get and how do I go about spoofing the mac address?

If you get a router, you don't need to spoof the mac-address. Have a look on http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk for lots of stuff :)

What you will probably have to do though is ring NTL and get them to reset your connection when you plug the cable into the router as they will have currently logged your PCs mac address. Plug the cable into your router, ring them up and tell them you've bought a new PC which has a different ethernet card so you need your connection resetting.

Once you have done that, they will only see the router from their end. Means you can then plug as many internet things into the router as you are able, and they will still only see the one address.

I'm personally running a Netgear FM114P wireless router and the XBox connects via a wireless Linksys WGA11B. If your XBox is near the router, you can probably just run some ethernet cable between the two :)

Hanslow 30 September 2004 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by ScoobyJawa
Ditto :D

Which, the list of hardware or the requirement for more toys ;)

Let me guess....both :D

ScoobyJawa 01 October 2004 10:07 AM

Got it in one! :D

Iain Young 01 October 2004 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Hanslow

How did you guess :D

scoobyvirgin 20 October 2004 01:59 PM

Is this one any good? Netgear RP614v2 Broadband Router

SPelham 21 October 2004 11:09 AM

As far as I am aware you do not need to register a new Mac address anymore on NTL, just plug in the ethernet connection and restart the PC and Modem.Then away you go! :)

However saying that I would still recommend getting a router as it would be a pain in the arse having to restart the modem each time you swap between PC and xbox !!

Simon

PiNkEyE69 22 October 2004 10:46 AM

Make sure you get a router preferable that has been certified xbox live compatible, I've had a few friends with major NAT problems playing games over live from just buying any old cheap router.

More info found here