ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Anyone here TSL'd their WRX PPP 03? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/365751-anyone-here-tsld-their-wrx-ppp-03-a.html)

GREGGYG 27 September 2004 03:42 PM

Anyone here TSL'd their WRX PPP 03?

Just very interested to talk to someone who has done this, by TSL'd, I mean their upgrade package of a sports catalyst downpipe, new up pipe, remapped ECU and higher spec fuel pump. This package is approx. £1400, and should considerably improve driveability, especially around town, with the turbo coming in from around 2000 rpm. Basically it gives the car a wider powerband than the PPP. TSL say should get approx 290lb torque and similar bhp, with a very noticeable improvement in driveability and additional torque! I am aware of warranty being void! By doing this to my car, would I be putting considerable stress, say, on my clutch and gearbox? Thanks in advance for any help!

Gutmann pug 27 September 2004 03:45 PM

I love my TSL STi, but please dont think that all your power will be available from much lower down. Admitidely it pulls better from low revs, but there is still loads of turbo lag. It doesnt come on song till 3000rpm or so. It wont be pulling like a train at 2000 rpm.

merlin71 27 September 2004 04:48 PM

Can they actually remap a PPP'd ECU?

marklemac 27 September 2004 05:12 PM

yes, they just overwrite the existing map.

john banks 27 September 2004 07:13 PM

IMHO, keep your warranty, resale value and sensible exhaust that is your PPP setup, which IMHO is a fantastic all round package for normal people rather than serial modders. Trivial gains which are all you'll get with the original turbo are not worth the downsides from my experience. You've already had a respected tuner's version (and the only OEM approved) of breathing mods and ECU map which add value to your relatively new car. I say time to do something more substantial rather than duplicate it to just make it noisier and slightly quicker, or leave it as the well judged package it is.

Get into perspective the improvement 10 or 20% (very optimistic now) performance is.... it's nothing.

pbee 27 September 2004 08:46 PM

I agree with John

You are not going to notice that much different between PPP and an aftermarket Map, yes the aftermarket map will be an improvement, but not to warrant the additional 1400 squid.

I have a aftermarket modified wrx and have driven PPP demonstrator cars there is a difference (including price), but not worthy of paying for the whole thing again

You would be better off selling it and putting the money towards an sti to mod.

You will be spending £3k to get to the same point I have (with less torque) and I spent less than half that amount.

Steve777 27 September 2004 10:13 PM

I was lead to believe that if you have a car that is already PPP'd then the TSL 333 (Sti Of course) would not be 1400 quid but nearer 500/600 quid.

:confused:

Steve

virgin 27 September 2004 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by GREGGYG
Just very interested to talk to someone who has done this, by TSL'd, I mean their upgrade package of a sports catalyst downpipe, new up pipe, remapped ECU and higher spec fuel pump. This package is approx. £1400, and should considerably improve driveability, especially around town, with the turbo coming in from around 2000 rpm. Basically it gives the car a wider powerband than the PPP. TSL say should get approx 290lb torque and similar bhp, with a very noticeable improvement in driveability and additional torque! I am aware of warranty being void! By doing this to my car, would I be putting considerable stress, say, on my clutch and gearbox? Thanks in advance for any help!

someone looking at the same as me ! ,only my wrx 04 doesnt have the ppp fitted, was trying to decide which way to go, ppp or tsl,,,,,no warrenty or more torq and power , tsl`s up pipe has a better flow rate, thats why there sti version of ppp prudces 333bhp and the same in torq rather than 305 on ppp

i still dont know which way ):

GREGGYG 28 September 2004 02:17 AM

Thanks all of you for your feedback, much appreciated!