ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Another what is the world coming to ???? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/364384-another-what-is-the-world-coming-to.html)

Alas 22 September 2004 02:22 PM

Another what is the world coming to ????

Can't believe this one. Council cutting down conker trees cos
1. Dangerous to kids - a kid fell out of one(are they going to cut all trees down?)
2. The kids throwing things into it may cause a car accident. Have they been on a motorway recently??

It's getting a bit daft. South Tyneside council in case you want to know.

Alas

jasey 22 September 2004 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Alas
It's getting a bit daft.

Understatement of the year nomination ;).

davegtt 22 September 2004 02:35 PM

stupid, thats all part of growing up aint it?

Geezer 22 September 2004 02:36 PM

Personally I think they should ban bikes too. I fell off one whe I was a kid, not my fault, oh no, scarred for life. And I nearly caused a car accident :rolleyes:

While we're at it, lets ban childrens playgrounds. I often see children falling in these dangerous places.

And they cause, er, traffic accidents.

Geezer

Goochie 22 September 2004 02:38 PM

The kids playground near the in-laws (Tamworth, Staffs) has been closed/removed recently because some kids parents tried to sue the council after their child fell off and broke a finger!! It had all the correct safety matting stuff and everything.

jasey 22 September 2004 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Geezer
Personally I think they should ban bikes too. I fell off one whe I was a kid, not my fault, oh no, scarred for life.

Hey - So Did I - All we need now is a Lawyer and we can get a Class action going against Raleigh - Always knew the Chopper had serious design flaws.

They should ban Kids - That would solve a lot of problems :D.

Goochie 22 September 2004 02:39 PM

Perhaps they should introduce a minimun branch height for trees? then kids couldnt climb up them ;)

scoobynutta555 22 September 2004 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Goochie
The kids playground near the in-laws (Tamworth, Staffs) has been closed/removed recently because some kids parents tried to sue the council after their child fell off and broke a finger!! It had all the correct safety matting stuff and everything.

They should name and shame these parents in the local paper. Twats.

hedgehog 22 September 2004 02:44 PM

It's gravity and solid objects that we need to ban. Most accidents are caused by solid objects.

I'll vote for any party that will get them banned, oh and water, errr and dangerous gas, and bad rays from the sky as well. All that stuff needs banned so I can behave like an idiot and not hurt myself.

Brendan Hughes 22 September 2004 03:04 PM

Actually I think they should ban living, as it's lethal. Everyone who's done it dies.

Where's my lawyer?

Ringpeas 22 September 2004 03:20 PM

The trees will be the council's responsibility.

In this sue for everything world, you can hardly blame them really.
Still sad though.

the moose 22 September 2004 03:21 PM

Did anyone actually bother to read the story? If so, you'll know there's just a bit more to it than has been splashed around the tabloid press.

Geezer 22 September 2004 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
Actually I think they should ban living, as it's lethal. Everyone who's done it dies.

Where's my lawyer?

LOL :D

Alas 22 September 2004 03:47 PM

Yeh - I read the whole story before posting . Still a stupid reaction to what has been decided to do. Also you have to ask if the council in their wisdom have decided that it is dangerous on the 2 counts I've listed. Why are they replanting other trees. Kids will still climb them.
Alas

jasey 22 September 2004 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Alas
Yeh - I read the whole story before posting . Still a stupid reaction to what has been decided to do. Also you have to ask if the council in their wisdom have decided that it is dangerous on the 2 counts I've listed. Why are they replanting other trees. Kids will still climb them.
Alas

Assuming you live in the area I would be asking the council why they are wasting their time and YOUR money on this bollox - I'm sure there will be more pressing needs that the local folk need looking at / sorting !

fast bloke 22 September 2004 04:40 PM

Falling out of a tree isn't dangerous - hitting the ground is the dangerous part - send them a letter asking them to remove the ground near the trees and replace with those soft balls you get in kids ball pits - If it works, let me know where you live, cos those ball pits are class :D

mattstant 22 September 2004 04:48 PM

Had one recently in our local paper about a woman who bought an incorrectly labeled tin of peaches and recieved tomatoes instead
Sainsburys quite rightly apologised and offered to replace it on her next regular visit.

Err end of story surely and nothing but a faintly (but not very) amusing anecdote at the daft bints next canasta evening

Oh no the local paper has to be involved and she wants some kind of compensation and at the very least lord Sainsburys head on a spike.

Alas 22 September 2004 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by mattstant
Had one recently in our local paper about a woman who bought an incorrectly labeled tin of peaches and recieved tomatoes instead
Sainsburys quite rightly apologised and offered to replace it on her next regular visit.

Err end of story surely and nothing but a faintly (but not very) amusing anecdote at the daft bints next canasta evening

Oh no the local paper has to be involved and she wants some kind of compensation and at the very least lord Sainsburys head on a spike.

Not at all surprised. Her reputation was ruined at the dinner party that evening when the peach souffle turned out red. :eek:

Leslie 22 September 2004 06:09 PM

If these PC roman sandal wearers win in the end, we will all be forced to sit indoors and not even walk about in case we fall over! Seriously, it difficult to imagine where it will all end. The worst result is that children will mature with absolutely no idea how to take care of themselves and cope with life.

Les?

BOB.T 22 September 2004 07:22 PM

If these PC roman sandal wearers win in the end, we will all be forced to sit indoors and not even walk about in case we fall over!
Don't be stoopid, you'll get DVT! Sitting down is far too dangerous!:eek:

Leslie 23 September 2004 05:11 PM

Do you think that would really occur to the woolly headed idiots making these rules then BOB.T

Les ?

Jo Peters 23 September 2004 05:21 PM

I was speaking to our solicitor recently and she said that there had just been a case in America where a woman fell over a child in a furniture store, injured herself, sued the furniture store and won compensation ..... the crazy part is that the child was her own !!!

M444GY 23 September 2004 05:37 PM

better cut down the climbing frame and lock the kids away in a padded room then!