ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   Engine heat insulation - is it worth it? (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/363644-engine-heat-insulation-is-it-worth-it.html)

TelBoy 20 September 2004 04:32 PM

Engine heat insulation - is it worth it?

Has anyone ever measured what the potential benefits of doing this are?

I've got lagged headers and a lagged downpipe, but with lots of hot water hoses around, i guess there's still scope for further heat reduction using pipe shielding in the engine bay. But is it worth it, or would the benefits be marginal?

One thing that Agriemach do is a turbo shielding kit, which looks tempting, as this is the greatest heat source. But none of the Subaru tuners i've talked to use them. Has anyone? Is it dangerous to keep the heat from the turbo enclosed? Would this evaporate oil and lead to failure? Any thoughts?

harvey 21 September 2004 04:35 PM

Lots of us lag the turbo.

Peanuts 21 September 2004 06:31 PM

Tel,
turbo wrapping is something I am seriously considering.
they do specific blankets depending on turbo size and its a complete kit.
must remember to make the order over £100 though to get the reduced carriage price and keep the lion's share of the discount ;):)
Q's...
does this mean we will be able to leave off the turbo heatshields if its wrapped within a blanket?
how long is the smokeyness around for?

Andy

harvey 22 September 2004 12:16 AM

You can put the heat shield back on or leave it off.
Mine still smokes when toasted and this blanket has been on for five weeks plus.
Check out Nimbus Motorsport for price. £100 sounds expensive. contact me if you cannot find their site.

jim litten 22 September 2004 12:35 AM

Well worth it, I've used the DEI kit for several k and yes it goes crispy, but it cuts the heat down big time, especially if you're still using the griddle like I am.

Jim

TelBoy 22 September 2004 08:20 AM

Jim/Harvey - worth it as in a measurable improvement in performance?

For £100 or so, i'd want to know that i'll really notice it...

flat4 22 September 2004 10:49 AM

i wrapped my turbo in normal exhaust wrap which is a lot cheaper than £100, can't say if it's as good as a blanket though, it should keep the exhaust gasses hotter inside the turbo, so in theory they'll flow quicker, less lag etc. (someone correct me ;))

TelBoy 22 September 2004 11:30 AM

Yep, that's the sales pitch that Agriemach use, Kev. I'm just concerned that not allowing such high temperatures to dissipate after the engine has been switched off would lead to oil evaporation problems.

flat4 22 September 2004 12:27 PM

turbo timer ;)

TelBoy 22 September 2004 12:40 PM

Possibly, but if these kits are as good at retaining heat as they say they are, a minute of extra running won't make a lot of difference, i wouldn't have thought. In fact, they also supply a kit specifically designed to keep an oil supply to the turbo after switching off, so the cynic in me is wondering whether this was developed to combat problems encountered with turbo lagging. Dunno.

AndrewC 22 September 2004 01:06 PM

Telboy, most of the Turbo Blanket kits will do 2 of our size turbo's find someone to split the kit with.

As well as the gas flow benefits of keeping heat in the exhaust gasses, you are also keeping heat away from your inlet pipe/compressor/IC pipes.

Andrew...

TelBoy 22 September 2004 01:21 PM

Yep, all true Andrew.

In fairness i've not seen anyone say they've had problems with lagging their turbos - i just didn't think it was particularly common, but obviously some people do it with no ill-effects. Ah well, another £80 spent! :D

flat4 22 September 2004 01:26 PM

i guess it depends on the amount of running your car does, daily driving might take it's toll on the turbo after 80,000 miles, weekend toy on the other hand...

Adam M 22 September 2004 02:29 PM

I hope you lot are only lagging the exhaust side of the turbo and not the compressor asw the compressor and pipework is the first part of the intercooling circuit.

ps. I don't think its £100, I think that £100 is just the cut off price to get a one off packaging cost!

vulnax999 04 November 2004 03:01 PM

Agrie's turbo blanket kit IS £94 or £96 each ... !!

minty 04 November 2004 07:53 PM

anyone got any images of lovely snug turbo's in their new jackets :)

nyscooby 04 November 2004 09:37 PM

I have a mixture of wrapping. Sheets, bandage etc, but the best stuff i use if from RS components, 'Superclad', it is a fabric sheet that isulates up to 1200c, headers, up pipe and downpipe wrapped up nice and tight.

Only costs £40 for a huge sheets of it.

http://www.607max.com/prod_superclad.htm

harvey 04 November 2004 10:32 PM

The turbo blanket results in quicker spool. Ask those that have fitted one who checked the spool before and after. Prove it for yourself. Start off at 1700rpm in 4th.Check the revs where you get 1 bar or some other suitable boost figure in 4th gear when the engine oil is warmed up but the turbo is relatively cold. Then give it lots of WOT and load for five mins and repeat the test.
I rest my case.
Try Nimbus Motorsport. You might save money. Tell them it is for a Subaru etc.

nyscooby 07 November 2004 11:03 PM

Fitted my turbo jacket yesterday, possibly not the most professional fitment ever but its on and its doing its thing!

Does work, engine bay doesnt heat up as much when car is at stand still at lights etc.

Turbo kicks in slightly sooner. Boost feels stronger and quicker.

Got to get this thing on the rollers soon....... I needs to know!

Oh yeah! you never seen so much "new wrap" steam.........

Dried out today and the public can stop panicking about my engine bursting into flames.