ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Ocean Finance and the ilk (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/363303-ocean-finance-and-the-ilk.html)

J4CKO 19 September 2004 03:28 PM

Ocean Finance and the ilk

What are they up to, why would anybody borrow from them based on their adverts, and do you have to be massively fat to borrow money off them ?

wrxmania 19 September 2004 03:49 PM

Who knows - you'd have to be a real mug. Apologies to anyone who has taken an overpriced loan from then.

:(

NotoriousREV 19 September 2004 04:29 PM

Fat and hopelessly ugly.

deano 19 September 2004 04:48 PM

And while your at it........ What about Yes Car credit ??? Lets all dress like Andy Pandy and sign for a Vauxhall Vectra on 33% APR :rolleyes:

"Yes you can" :hjtwofing

NotoriousREV 19 September 2004 04:50 PM

Noticed a car ad this weekend that was offering 02 reg Focus's saving £5000 on the new price! Er, yes, I should hope so, it's 2 years old!!!!

deano 19 September 2004 04:51 PM

And my personal favourite: http://www.****e.org/imgpoo/vordermanloans.jpg

rossyboy 19 September 2004 05:12 PM

Maybe they got into debt with the cost of all the food they were eating :confused:

what would scooby do 19 September 2004 05:31 PM

..and no "complikated" forms to fill in ;)

NotoriousREV 19 September 2004 05:34 PM

Doesn't one of them say something like "the people on the advert seemed like normal folk". Maybe where you live, mate, but not in the circles I move in.

what would scooby do 19 September 2004 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
Doesn't one of them say something like "the people on the advert seemed like normal folk". Maybe where you live, mate, but not in the circles I move in.

Yeah, he's the one that looks like Bernard Manning's idiot brother!

supertouring 19 September 2004 06:02 PM

"We also offer a competitive interest rate" - shown (quite small) on screen 19.9% APR

NotoriousREV 19 September 2004 06:07 PM

Total Amount Replayable (T.A.P.) £everything you have plus your soul when you die, mwuhahahahahahaha

logiclee 19 September 2004 06:22 PM

And all the above companies are cheap compared to the little finance houses you see on the high street like Shopacheck and London and Scottish.

These have agents that visit houses and offer very small loans or goods from catalogues and can charge well over 100% interest.

My Father in Law is a retired Shopacheck manager, some people will borrow £50 and pay £2.50 a week back over a year. They also do TV's where you put money in to view until you have bought it. A Tatung 21" with a value of around £150 takes well over £600 before it is paid for.

It certainly pays to have a good credit rating.

Cheers
Lee

astraboy 19 September 2004 08:55 PM

Viz's early parodies were a lot better IMO.
"I'm almost broke, please finish me off. Lend me _____ Quid. Thanks"
astraboy.

Trucker Ted 19 September 2004 09:05 PM

P.m.s.l at Notorious REV :lol1:

Hard to believe the interest these places charge!
You would be cheaper going to your not so friendly local drug-dealing,pimping,extortion racketeering,loan-shark gangster:):)

andypugh2000 19 September 2004 09:28 PM

Why are all the people in the ocean finance ads all old chain smoking chavs from essex?? "I took aaatttt er lown from eershan fynance aand it changed my lyfe" I now have no fcuking life more like, tossers.

boxst 19 September 2004 09:38 PM

Hello

I don't have a problem with the more interesting section of our society being shown to need loans. What I DO have a problem with is the tag lines that go along the lines of "Consolidate your debt, and have spare cash to spend on a holiday or a new car".

How stupid is that? You are in money trouble, so you take a larger loan and then spend it on frivolous things. Sigh.

Steve.

wwp8 19 September 2004 09:50 PM

FUNNY how you guys are talking so much about finance/loans/mortgages last few days.

i was asking for a loan from freedom finance

they only offered me £25500

to be paid over 360 months thats 30 years :eek:

paying just over £330 a month:eek:

NOW WORK OUT THE INTEREST

well they can :hjtwofing

J4CKO 19 September 2004 10:09 PM

That is truly sickening.

There should be some legislation against this, to protect the thickos from themselves.

fast bloke 19 September 2004 11:29 PM

Wait until 31 October. The FSA is taking over all secured lending and these comapnies will not be able to exist

Buckrogers 20 September 2004 01:29 AM

No wonder why the country has so much "personel" debt....

J4CKO 20 September 2004 09:01 AM

I havent !

Well apart from the two grand I owe our savings account, I left a two grand sized hole in it after buying a Fiat Coupe, to be honest I would rather have a Loan Shark's boys on my case than the missus, "remember your sex life is at risk if you do not keep up payments".

Jiggerypokery 20 September 2004 10:58 AM

The two funny ones I've noticed:

A fat lady from Ocean Finance saying "It felt like a huge weight had been lifted from my shoulders"

Umm, no it hasn't, dear. You have quite obviously sold your mirror to buy more cakes.

And the Carol Smilie loan ad with the dad washing his Ford Focus. "I'd like to spend the money on a new car" he says, nodding to the picture of an MX5.

It's a two seater, you've got a family of four you ****! No wonder you struggle at basic maths...

Wurzel 20 September 2004 11:31 AM

Other adverts that pi55 me off are the stupid mobile ringtone adverts that get repeated over and over and over again.

Also on the subject of loans all the thickos that say " and we had enough left over to buy a new car/snooker table! if you have enough left over to buy a new car or go on holiday then you borrowed to much in the first place you stupid tw4t.!!!!!!!!

EddScott 20 September 2004 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Jiggerypokery
The two funny ones I've noticed:

A fat lady from Ocean Finance saying "It felt like a huge weight had been lifted from my shoulders"

Is that the one that looks like she's got the gravity up too high?

The Vordaman adverts are just soo patronising there almost offensive. Funny how the adverts show mostly during chat shows like Trisha etc.

A mate works for a finance company and his favorite slogan is "Borrow off us, we'll earn money from your misery".

SD 20 September 2004 01:29 PM

Can I just add?

I used to work in the same building as 'Yes' car credit in Horsham (they were the floor below us). In fact, when the company I worked for left, they expanded 'upwards' and took over at least one of our old floors.

Anyhow, seeing some of the money that some of their top guys were earning (by the cars they'd drive to the office) would make you cry. I understand that to lend money to 'riskier' clients means you have to charge a slight premium on your APR to cover the likely extra administration costs associated with the loan and also to cover the fact that in many cases you won't get the money back. The problem is that companies like this prey on the desperate and the stupid and those who have no other choice than to take money offered 'now' no matter what the cost.

I like what Fast Bloke says about the FSA. Can't wait. Then companies like 'Yes' can :hjtwofing :cuckoo: feck off. :razz:

Simon.

fast bloke 20 September 2004 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by SD
I like what Fast Bloke says about the FSA. Can't wait. Then companies like 'Yes' can :hjtwofing :cuckoo: feck off. :razz:

Simon.

The FSA wont stop them operating, but the will make sure that the finer points are explained - like 'You are unlikely to ever clear the debt with us unless you win the lottery three of four time running'

They (FSA) are about to do to lending what they have done to endowment selling over the past couple of years, so at least the people who are about to be fleeced know they are about to be fleeced

Ted Maul 20 September 2004 03:07 PM

I don't get it, if you owe £20k on credit cards costing you 24% apr, then why not take out one of these loans, against your house, at an apr of 9% or whatever. lower interest charges, over longer period = more manageable debt.

it's the stupidity of going 20k on your credit cards in the first place thats the problem.

Ted

Robert Rosario 20 September 2004 03:34 PM

And the Carol Smilie loan ad with the dad washing his Ford Focus. "I'd like to spend the money on a new car" he says, nodding to the picture of an MX5.

It's a two seater, you've got a family of four you ****! No wonder you struggle at basic maths...[/QUOTE]
Class :notworthy

Dr Hu 20 September 2004 03:44 PM

Who else thinks the vv fat woman sitting on the sofa from Ocean Finance ad looks like Jabba the Hut........:D

aahhhh Solo.......