ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Wireless help needed!!! (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/362675-wireless-help-needed.html)

Bravo2zero_sps 16 September 2004 08:41 PM

Wireless help needed!!!

Have installed a wireless access point connected via ethernet cable to my adsl router. I have a wireless pcmcia card in a laptop. I can not get the two to talk as I don't understand the bloody setup of the ap! :mad: What the fcuk is a RADIUS server for christ sake???

Please can someone tell me the easiest way to setup one of these up and what the settings should be. Also need to setup wep etc!

PLEASE HELP! :)

Bravo2zero_sps 16 September 2004 09:24 PM

OK well got it working but don't understand it :D

Probably about as watertight as a teabag regarding security :rolleyes:

SJ_Skyline 17 September 2004 10:01 AM

We found that the easiest way to secure the network is to have it open and only permit specific MAC addresses onto the network.

This means that the whole world can see your network but they can't get on unless the MAC address of their network card in on the list of permitted addresses. Far easier than dicking around with WEP and encryption!

Its also faster! - Drop me an MSN mate if you need any help :)

Bravo2zero_sps 17 September 2004 10:07 AM

Cheers mate, yeah thats what I ended up doing last night, I disabled broadcasting ssid, added the mac address of the laptop card to the permitted list and left the wep key as it was, enabled but all zeros lol. However have looked into wep this morning and got myself a wep key generator so will just use that when I get home to sort the wep :)

I just couldn't get my head around why it said it was connected but with limited access or no access - couldn't get the point, its either connected and working or its not?! :D

Anyway once working got to sit back on the sofa wire free with the laptop browsing and reading my emails, much better than having to sit upstairs at the pc :D

super_si 17 September 2004 10:32 AM

What equipment did you use? Got my PCMIA card just looking at routers and print servers etc

Si

SJ_Skyline 17 September 2004 10:36 AM

Now here's a horror story - One of my colleagues found some wireless network sniffer software that includes a new network card driver. When connected wirelessly, every packet of data includes the mac address of the sender, the sniffer sniffs these packets out and the driver spoofs your mac address to appear the one that is sniffed!

Far too h@X0rish for me!! ;)

Bravo2zero_sps 17 September 2004 10:40 AM

:eek: so not much security in the mac address list then! lol

I fancy doing a bit of war driving and get a copy of airsnort :D Thing is I wouldn't know what to do once I found a network to hack anyway :rolleyes: :D

Si I got my access point from scan.co.uk and just plug it into my existing adsl router, its the US Robotics one at £21 or what ever it was, £30 delivered. Wanted cheap and got cheap :D

super_si 17 September 2004 11:12 AM

Interesting maybe all i need is a Access Point then instead of a new router!

Is your Xbox/PS2 wireless connection too?

Bravo2zero_sps 17 September 2004 11:25 AM

No got a long cable for that as I hardly ever play on them now, and when I do I havent been on line in months so not worht the cost.