ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   Golf GTi 1.8T staring problems :-( (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/362617-golf-gti-1-8t-staring-problems.html)

Dark Blue Mark 16 September 2004 04:35 PM

Golf GTi 1.8T staring problems :-(

Has anyone else had this?

The car keeps draining the battery and won't start. RAC say there's nothing drawing a current on the battery and VW cant replicate the problem or find anything wrong. Seems to be intermittent, ie some days it will start fine, others the battery will be dead. Seems as if somethings draining it....

Any ideas?

MB

allywrx 16 September 2004 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Blue Mark
Has anyone else had this?

The car keeps draining the battery and won't start. RAC say there's nothing drawing a current on the battery and VW cant replicate the problem or find anything wrong. Seems to be intermittent, ie some days it will start fine, others the battery will be dead. Seems as if somethings draining it....

Any ideas?

MB

A guy at work recently had the same problem with his Passat, the battery would go flat on random occasions after leaving it parked overnight or for a long time.
Turned out to be the door control unit draining the battery, think it cost him just under £300 to fix it with a new unit.

Nat 16 September 2004 05:59 PM

mate had the same with a TT, cant remember what it was but i'll ring him later for ya....

Dark Blue Mark 16 September 2004 07:57 PM

Thanks both :)

MB

Nat 16 September 2004 07:59 PM

Rang him, no answer! Sorry, he's probably out crusin in his tart mobile ;)

Dark Blue Mark 16 September 2004 08:39 PM

;) ta for trying!

MB

Nat 17 September 2004 05:28 PM

spoke to him earilier, he had a duff battery.

Dark Blue Mark 17 September 2004 06:10 PM

Tried that - still doing it...

MB

danny-boy 19 September 2004 12:20 AM

Mark have you tried looking on the VW forum? It on the off chance be worth searching on www.seatcupra.net they probably use the same sensors/parts so you might get lucky.

Good luck :)

MGJohn 19 September 2004 10:20 PM

If those VW type probs already mentioned are not the cause, in my experience intermittent or persistent battery drain even after fitting a new battery is sometimes caused by a faulty alternator. Get a spare cheaply from your local breakers yards. Failing that and possibly less expensive, if you know a friend with a similar car or one with a similar known good alternator, swap the alternators on both cars and see if the problem is transferred.

Dark Blue Mark 19 September 2004 10:22 PM

Thanks both, will look at those options...

MB

Beastie 19 September 2004 10:27 PM

I had this with my golf, turned out to be water in the rear door lock (hatchback) switch. Had to be replaced as a whole unit but cured the problem. When the switch had more water in , it was draining the battery as it is still live when you lock the car, apparently a common fault.

allywrx 20 September 2004 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Beastie
I had this with my golf, turned out to be water in the rear door lock (hatchback) switch. Had to be replaced as a whole unit but cured the problem. When the switch had more water in , it was draining the battery as it is still live when you lock the car, apparently a common fault.

Agree :)

Dark Blue Mark 20 September 2004 10:47 PM

Cheers again, all, seems like the windows might be a good bet. He found the rear window squirter wasn't working right and was spraying inside the roof lining :eek: could make its way into the door skin I guess....

MB