ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Retirement and grumpyness.......is it inevitable? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/362616-retirement-and-grumpyness-is-it-inevitable.html)

paulr 16 September 2004 04:29 PM

Retirement and grumpyness.......is it inevitable?

Basically its my next door neighbour,great bloke,but oh what a moaning old s0d he is at times.Always someting to moan about.
Is this the inevitable result of retirement or can it be avoided.Is there such a thing as a carefree happy retired person?

Brendan Hughes 16 September 2004 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by paulr
Is there such a thing as a carefree happy retired person?

Yup. My Pa. Far more mellow than he was when working. But there are many, many factors involved.

Some know how to deal with retirement, others don't.

chaos. 16 September 2004 04:45 PM

I've been retired for almost a year :)

Neil Smalley 16 September 2004 04:45 PM

I think it's to do with boredom. When they were at work, they did'nt have all day to mope around. Now anything will bother them as it
a/ gives them something to do.
b/ Disrupts their time doing stuff during the day(Garden, Reading etc etc)

Jerome 16 September 2004 04:49 PM

Some of us don't wait until we retire to be whinging barstewards. :D

paulr 16 September 2004 04:50 PM

My neighbour must have his jetwash out nearly every day washing his drive:rolleyes:.

Brendan Hughes 16 September 2004 04:53 PM

Actually, Jerome has a point...

Originally Posted by paulr
Basically its my next door neighbour,great bloke,but oh what a moaning old s0d he is at times.Always someting to moan about.
Is this the inevitable result of retirement or can it be avoided.

No, it's the inevitable result of starting to read Scoobynet...

ChrisB 16 September 2004 04:54 PM

My Grandad is terrible. If you visit, it's just constant moans about how they can't find a decent pub for lunch anymore (rude staff, greasy tables and the rest).

They also insist of going shopping for 8am on a Saturday morning? Why?!!?!? They've had all week to stay out of the working populations way!

ajm 16 September 2004 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisB
They also insist of going shopping for 8am on a Saturday morning? Why?!!?!? They've had all week to stay out of the working populations why!

That is a pet hate of mine too, post offices in particular! They lie in wait all day and then at lunchtime, the only time in the day you can get to the post office, they all decide to arrive en mass to cash their giros! :mad:

Oh, and with regard to grumpiness I am there already! I have been called a "crabby old git" by an old lady behind the deli counter at the supermarket. I was delighted! :D

FASTER MIKE!! 16 September 2004 11:12 PM

ajm you'll have to come to my post office then:D because the old bugger tend to come first thing:rolleyes: .as for moaning yep its a retirement thing, my dads been retired for about 7 years and he's got worse as its gone on, all he does is winge on about how badly my car is parked in the garage(nowt wrong with the way its parked) his moan is he can ge at the bentch at the back, behind my car. if he lost some weight he could get round, or the simple answer is to move the frickin car, it not rocket science......... ooooooopppppppppppsssssssss now i'm at it:eek:

mike:D