ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Would you buy this base unit? (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/362513-would-you-buy-this-base-unit.html)

brendy 16 September 2004 12:13 PM

Would you buy this base unit?

Gettting a new base unit on house insurance after previous machine sustained power surge damage.
Insurance company assessed using Dixon's group and have told me they will pay for a Packard Bell imedia 3084 which is a P2.8 with 512DDR RAM and a 128MB video card(Ati radeon 9100) with DVD and DVD rewriter.
This will cost me the 60 pound excess only - is this a reasonable system for playing high end games or would I be better to spend some more cash for a more powerful system - would like to be able to play Far-Cry and similar.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

lightning101 16 September 2004 12:29 PM

The base processor and board sound fine - but 9100 card for 3D is basic and won't run any new games.

Also if you get a new X800 ati - is the PSU powerful enough, unusual for more than 300watt standard.

swaussie 16 September 2004 12:32 PM

everything but the graphic card looks ok for high end gaming. The 9100 is a fairly decent solution for casual gaming and you MIGHT be able to run farcry at low settings using it ( dont expect too much from it). See what it costs extra for a 9800pro or XT or at a stretch if you can afford it and get it an X800Pro. If you can add another 512Mb would be nice but not necessary.

DemonDave 16 September 2004 07:26 PM

Depends on what your old pc was .... and is your policy new for old ...

what spec was the pc when you brought it ... that spec of PC sounds quite low compared to current specs ...

the other thing to do is base it on price paid ... how much did you pay for your pc ... the specs gone up but the prices have remained in the same area. look for the current prices at the same place your brought the old pc at and see what they have for the same price

Dave.

WRX_Rich 16 September 2004 08:22 PM

Packard Bell, not even with yours mare ;)

do your self a favour and buy computer shopper DAN, DELL, Eversham Micro (sp ), Mesh, IBM, Compaq, all are good

Iain Young 17 September 2004 10:35 AM

Wouldn't touch it with a barge pole myself. I've had to deal with too many HP machines which have gone belly up. They're a nightmare especially if you need to re-install (at least all the ones I've seen have been).....

Also as already said, it does seem a low spec (especially the gfx). I don't fancy your chances trying to run stuff like Doom3 or Halo2 on it....

See if they'll let you have a Dell - much better made and easier to upgrade...

brendy 18 September 2004 01:13 AM

Will put some money towards claim and buy a Compaq SR1080 has a 3.2 P4 , 1024 DDR and 256 FX5200 card.
Probably not ideal but should do.
Thanks for above advice.