ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   Audi RS3 (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/362494-audi-rs3.html)

Silvafox 16 September 2004 11:14 AM

Audi RS3

Anyone heard much about these? Due out early 2006. A friend of a friend has just placed a deposit on one. From what I gather it'll be a seriously nice fast car. Around 350 bhp with 450nm. Obviously quattro, 6 speed paddle shift linked to a 3.2 V6 with turbo. Nice!

Andy M3 16 September 2004 11:40 AM

Sounds pleasent, the RS audis haven't been a let down yet, but you never know. Worse case scenario is it weighs 1700 kgs, and with that gear box and drive train it porduces 200 whp - lets hope not !!

Silvafox 16 September 2004 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Andy M3
Sounds pleasent, the RS audis haven't been a let down yet, but you never know. Worse case scenario is it weighs 1700 kgs, and with that gear box and drive train it porduces 200 whp - lets hope not !!

Only had experience of one RS and that was an RS2. Awesome performance especially top end. I believe it held the record for a 0-30mph start according to some magazine I had a while ago too! My friend had one for about a year and in 6th from around 70mph to 140mph it was rapid and thats in top gear. I think it was around 315bhp but he then had it remapped with full exhaust and bits to around 346 in the end. I would have thought the RS3 will be something else too.....

RichWalk 16 September 2004 11:50 AM

Planning on getting one for my 40th, so they had better be worth the money!!

Brendan Hughes 16 September 2004 12:08 PM

Stunning performance, but what about handling? a) Modern Audi = soulless, and b) hooooge great lump up front. What is it, basically a turbo'd R32?

Silvafox 16 September 2004 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
Stunning performance, but what about handling? a) Modern Audi = soulless, and b) hooooge great lump up front. What is it, basically a turbo'd R32?

Think its is based on the 3.2 with bi Turbo apparantly. The RS2 was tweeked by Porsche. Loads of stuff under the bonnet had Porsche written on it and so did brakes and other stuff. Dunno whether same will happen with RS3? ie Give Porsche a 3.2 A3 and then tweek away...??

Brendan Hughes 16 September 2004 12:19 PM

I know of the RS2, but since then there has been the RS4 and RS6 - surely better to look at them for clues?

Silvafox 16 September 2004 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
I know of the RS2, but since then there has been the RS4 and RS6 - surely better to look at them for clues?

Definately, I only use the RS2 as an example as I have no experience of the later ones although I hear they are very good from all the reviews i've read of them. I'd have an RS6 if i had the money.

Freak 16 September 2004 12:56 PM

RS2 is stunning- someone i know has one and demonstrated....
S3 is fast enough, let alone an RS3.
If its anything like the rs4 or rs6, it will be stunning competent and very expensive

Andy M3 16 September 2004 01:08 PM

"S3 is fast enough, let alone an RS3."

It is not often i disagree with someone over a car i have never owned, but a good friend of mine had a 210 version (just sold for a 330 clubsport). frequently we went out with our other mate in a Boxter S and the boxter skinned it alive. The S3 got a better start most of the time, but 50mph + it is destroyed. I am very disapointed with the on road performance of an S3, for the cash they are too slow, too heavy and don't like bends. It is something you buy when you have more money than a golf GTI owner !?!?!?

chrome 16 September 2004 10:44 PM

RS6.. hmmmmmmmm /drool

Jeff Wiltshire 17 September 2004 06:14 AM

This is what it's mean't to be.....maybe

3.2litre Bi-Turbo
350bhp with around 400Nm
0-62mph less than 5 seconds
155mph limited top speed, 170mph unlimited
Quattro 4WD Haldex
Uprated Quattro brakes, suspension and exhaust etc
DSG with paddle shift on steering wheel
Based on new Mark5 Golf platform
Expected price £32-35k
Expected around late 2006 - mid 2007

Info here

http://www.germancarfans.com/spyphotos. ... udi/1.html

Cupramax 17 September 2004 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Silvafox
Dunno whether same will happen with RS3? ie Give Porsche a 3.2 A3 and then tweek away...??

Nope, all new RS's are developed by Audi's "GMBH" division.

cheddar bob 17 September 2004 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Andy M3
"S3 is fast enough, let alone an RS3."

It is not often i disagree with someone over a car i have never owned, but a good friend of mine had a 210 version (just sold for a 330 clubsport). frequently we went out with our other mate in a Boxter S and the boxter skinned it alive. The S3 got a better start most of the time, but 50mph + it is destroyed. I am very disapointed with the on road performance of an S3, for the cash they are too slow, too heavy and don't like bends. It is something you buy when you have more money than a golf GTI owner !?!?!?

It's not really the same comparing a Boxster S with an S3 though is it? first off the Porsche is lighter, more powerfull and has less transmission losses. 200bhp/ton RWD vs 166bhp/ton 4WD(225 version). I'd reckon 4 seconds difference of 0-100mph and I'd fully expect it to destroy an S3 or similar cars at higher speeds. This however doesn't mean the S3 is slow though, and a simple remap would make some difference.

Vate 17 September 2004 06:25 PM

S3 is FWD 90% of the time not 4WD so transmission loss is not so bad.

Cupramax 17 September 2004 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Vate
S3 is FWD 90% of the time not 4WD so transmission loss is not so bad.

S3 is FWD 100% of the time until it detects wheelspin, then power is apportioned to the rears as well. It does have extra weight to carry though, for comparison a Leon Cupra R which is the same basic chassis, engine and gearbox (minus 4wd gubbins) weighs approx 100kg less.