ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   whats the best anti virus software? (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/362015-whats-the-best-anti-virus-software.html)

steve2k 15 September 2004 12:09 AM

whats the best anti virus software?

Anybody know whats the best anti virus software on market and what version it is as i need to update.
Heard the nortan one is good where it shows a map of the world and the location of where intruders are but dont know what version it is. Any Help?

cheers in advance peeps

steve

BlueBoy 15 September 2004 12:22 AM

Before this gets moved to Computer Related Stuff - I've always used McAfee online subscription for my Anti-Virus needs. You always get the latest version available and any updates included in the original price and it's always on the ball for me ;)

G4Tyrant 15 September 2004 12:27 AM

I agree ! I always use McAfee Viruscan ....latest version is 8 for home users ! ;)

Rasher 15 September 2004 07:45 AM

are there any you can download for free??

markr1963 15 September 2004 08:06 AM

This one's free - AVG

HTH
Mark

ariel 15 September 2004 08:06 AM

I use Avast and find that it works fine for me. It's free btw.

beemerboy 15 September 2004 08:28 AM

norton corporate edition. or sophos, which i have used in the past.

BB:)

jowl 15 September 2004 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by markr1963
This one's free - AVG

HTH
Mark

I use AVG free edition. I also sell the Full version to my customers..I think it's excellent and good value.

I wouldn't touch Norton with a 10 foot pole.

No experince of McAfee and Sophos seemed a pain to update easily. Thought that was from a server, not using a stand-alone system

Nick 15 September 2004 09:12 AM

McAfee is best, also look at Panda. All of my customers have McAfee & none have ever been zapped.

JackClark 15 September 2004 09:39 AM

I used Norton yesterday on a couple of new PC's, oh my god, what a mess! I'm biased though.

Dr Nick 15 September 2004 09:46 AM

You can use the Kasperski AV product free for a month. It was recently voted most useful softare package of all time in Computer Shopper and regularly is their flavour of choice for effective protection.

I have been using it for a month and am now going to buy it.

Does anybody who already has it know if I can get it to scan files on a different PC across my home network?

The licence had expired before I figured out how to access these files through my firewall.

Cheers

Iain Young 15 September 2004 10:00 AM

Why do people keep on saying AVG is good... Yes it's free, but I've seen and had to deal with several machines with it installed (with all the latest updates) where it has let quite nasty viruses through.... You get what you pay for IMO....

I've got Norton AV 2004 on one machine, and McAfee 8 on another, and to be honest there doesn't seem to be much difference between them. I've found problems / annoyances with both products, but both seem to do a good job of stopping the nasty little critters....

Both are pretty cheap as well, so it's worth spending a little to keep your files safe...

Daz34 15 September 2004 10:16 AM

Another vote for Kaspersky AV.
It is less of a system hog than some others I have used & is simple but very effective with updates every few hours :thumb:

Darren

Dave Cox 15 September 2004 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Iain Young
Why do people keep on saying AVG is good... Yes it's free, but I've seen and had to deal with several machines with it installed (with all the latest updates) where it has let quite nasty viruses through.... You get what you pay for IMO....

I've got Norton AV 2004 on one machine, and McAfee 8 on another, and to be honest there doesn't seem to be much difference between them. I've found problems / annoyances with both products, but both seem to do a good job of stopping the nasty little critters....

Both are pretty cheap as well, so it's worth spending a little to keep your files safe...

I've used AVG on two machins for over 6 years without problems.
Perhaps i've just been lucky!!!

krazy 15 September 2004 02:13 PM

if your buying then i'd look as kaspersky or f-secure

J1nxy 15 September 2004 03:32 PM

I bought Trend PC-Cillin 2004 for about $25 from the us which is about £15. That includes firewall, anti-spam as well as AV. Personally I prefered it to others having tried both McAfee, Norton and a couple of the others.

Just my 2ps worth

Steve