ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Can anybody recommend DV to DVD software?? (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/361969-can-anybody-recommend-dv-to-dvd-software.html)

scooby66 14 September 2004 08:55 PM

Can anybody recommend DV to DVD software??

Need an all in one package i.e. Capture, Edit ,Burn and can I get this for freemans or some body send me a back up??? Thanks gents

Paul:D

Iain Young 14 September 2004 10:01 PM

I doubt you'll find anything free that does all that.

Ulead VideoStudio is worth a look if you're on a budget....

MAFFA 14 September 2004 10:34 PM

I got Cyberlink Powerproducer free with my DVD burner & it's well simple to use. I'm not one for all singing and dancing as long as it does it's job & that's fine :).

For capturing & editing I use Pinnacle Studio which once again isn't all singing and dancing but it does exactly what it says on the tin :D That came free with my digital camcorder along with two ton of other stuff they wanted to give me at Singapore airport ;) Very generous on their electrical goods they are :D:D

I'm no PC expert but if you're after simple to use, cheap stuff then i'd recommend it :)

MAFFA

bigsinky 14 September 2004 10:40 PM

got pinnacle studio 9 and it does the lot, real easy to use as well

Iain Young 15 September 2004 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by bigsinky
got pinnacle studio 9 and it does the lot, real easy to use as well

and it's absolutely full of bugs....

I bought it, and ended up throwing it away because the number of problems I was having made it unusable. The patches Pinnacle released just made it worse... :( It seems with the Pinnacle software, that if you have a machine that it likes, then you'll be ok, but if it doesn't like your hardware configuration for some reason, then you're stuffed.... Their tech support is hopeless as well....

Switched to Premiere now and have not had a problem since. :D

bigsinky 15 September 2004 10:18 AM

Switched to Premiere now and have not had a problem since
and spent the next three months with your head in "adobe Premiere pro" bible. learning curve a bit steep for my tastes as is the £550 price tag :( I'm afraid it is TMpeg and DVD Lab for me

Iain Young 15 September 2004 10:25 AM

and spent the next three months with your head in "adobe Premiere pro" bible. learning curve a bit steep for my tastes as is the £550 price tag :( I'm afraid it is TMpeg and DVD Lab for me

Actually, I'd captured, edited (with fancy transitions etc), titled, and created a dvd of my first video within 2 days of buying it. Premiere is actually pretty easy to use.... :p

Admittedly, it did cost a little more than Studio though. I got the complete Adobe video package (Premiere, Encore, After Effects, etc) with the matrox video editing card I ordered at the same time (cqame to about a grand altogether).

The quality of final output, features, reliability, and speed is much better than Studio, but then you'd expect it to at this price... :D

ozzy 15 September 2004 10:26 AM

£1000 :eek:

Iain Young 15 September 2004 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by ozzy
If you want something very basic, stick with Pinnacle. Yeah, it's supposed to be very buggy, but it's never caused me a problem in 18mths.

I presume you're using Studio 8 then (not version 9)

Have a look at the Studio 9 support forums and you'll see hundreds of people having problems with the software. Even the reviews of the product said that they were shocked at the lack of quality and number of bugs...

I think Studio 8 was a much better / reliable piece of software, (it only crashed every now and then when editing titles), but unfortunately I don't think you can buy that any more...

Iain Young 15 September 2004 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by ozzy
£1000 :eek:

Yep :D:D

But the whole lot (including the RT.X100 Extreme Pro capture card), came to less than buying the software on its own from Adobe, so I was happy ;)

bigsinky 15 September 2004 10:35 AM

@ ozzy

mate for video editing software thats like pi$$ing in the ocean. try pricing a copy of sonic scenarist. holywood studios use this one and it is roun the $40K mark, so £1000 is not that much really. have seen results from premiere pro and have to admit they are first class, a real top notch piece of software.
@Iain - did you get the 14 or so dvds with adobe after effects and is it worth the money.

cheers

sinky

Iain Young 15 September 2004 10:42 AM

@Iain - did you get the 14 or so dvds with adobe after effects and is it worth the money.

No, I'm afraid not.

The version that came was the standard version, so it hasn't got all of the features of the pro version, but it does work very well. For fancy text it is superb, and you can do stuff like specifying an area of the screen to track and overlay video onto. So for example, if you had a bit of video of a football match, you could get it to track the side barriers and overlay a different piece of video onto it (like the adverts you see on televised matches etc). Or at a race track, you could get it to display your own video on the trackside screens etc...

The only downside to this is the rendering time required to do it. However, from what I've seen so far, it's a cool piece of software :)

bigsinky 15 September 2004 10:46 AM

hmmmm.......... nice features. sooooo much better than DVDlab, but then again you pays your money, you makes your choice...yadayadayada. :D

ozzy 15 September 2004 10:59 AM

sinky,

I know how much editing software costs & that it's nothing in the larger scheme of things.

Try telling a home user they have to spend £1000 to get their DV footage onto a DVD and I'll guarantee the same reaction.

Sorry, but £1000 is still a lot of money for most home users.

bigsinky 15 September 2004 12:49 PM

@ozzy

totally agree mate that for a home user, to add another £1k onto the price of their home pc is a hard pill to swallow, but as has been said before, you get what you pay for. compromise has to be made somewhere and this usually ends up being the software packages as opposed to the hardware. sad but true.

cheers

sinky

scooby66 15 September 2004 05:14 PM

ThanKs guys for all replies got pinnacle. 8 Nero 6 but these do not get on at all, may go for pinnacle 9 anybody give me back up copy to try!!! or simlar software?? Email me if you can thanks again Paul......:D

ozzy 15 September 2004 10:27 PM

Get yourself DC++ ;)