ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   How much should I charge em for it. (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/361872-how-much-should-i-charge-em-for-it.html)

Stueyb 14 September 2004 03:06 PM

How much should I charge em for it.

Hi guys,

Just after a bit of advice really re: a cash IT job im about to commence. Basically its a 3.5 day go in, fix, repair, new server job.

Now this company doesnt have an IT bod (10-12 users) and they are all doing peer to peer sharing the data via folders :Whatever_: and no backups to speak of. All the machines are virus ridden and old crap basically so the job encompasses:

1 install and configure new dell server with TBU
2 Install 3 new machines.
3 Some recabling
4 Defrag, remove spyware viruses etc on the rest

I reckon 3.5 days in all (including straightening all the stuff out.)

They also want some support (1/2 day a month)

So I was thinking around £150 a day, billed on the half day and £100 per month support.

Does this sound reasonable.

aqua 14 September 2004 03:15 PM

How straightforward a job does your gut feeling tell you this really is. How confident are you that everything will fall into place with minimal/easy to overcome problems. Things in IT rarely go as planned.

Are they also likely to keep pestering you with questions whilst you work, are you allowed to do the work irrespective of what the individual users are doing, ie can you kick them off the system with very short/no notice etc.

IMHO I think you may be selling yourself a little short.

Regards
Henry

Frosty The Snowman 14 September 2004 03:37 PM

I would also say that it's a bit on the light side. I would probably double the daily rate but it depends on what the company you are dealing with is like, if they are cash strapped they may not be able to afford it, but I would doubt they could find much cheaper.

The support is guess work, I would perhaps consider sticking to the daily rate charged on a per hour, minimum of 1/2 hour, sort of basis. So if they pester you lots they pay for it. You may also consider a lower charge for telephone support.

Mark

Figment 14 September 2004 03:39 PM

When I looked to see what others were charging I was quoted £75 an hour

lightning101 14 September 2004 03:42 PM

Agreed - £45-75 an hour or £350 - £400 a day

Stueyb 14 September 2004 03:59 PM

I think I may bung it up ~£200/250 a day but this is an off the books affair. I mean I told them that if something needs to be slung and replaced id tell em ,no mincing about. However the bill for the server and workstations is coming to about 3K (cheap in my normal IT administrator day job but not for this company) so I have to be careful as they may just decide to "keep it going" without fixing anything.

jods 16 September 2004 10:30 AM

Make sure you are covered in case you go in and things go "POP" They could potentially turn around and say "You Screwed our systems" and sue ya ass...

Bear that in mind when setting rate. For what it is worth I'd not go in for less than £300 a day based on 7.5 hours with overtime at £60 / hour. :)