ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Jack? McAfee 8.0i (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/360408-jack-mcafee-8-0i.html)

Nick 09 September 2004 11:15 AM

Jack? McAfee 8.0i

Jack

I had my first crunch from Enterprise v8.0i last night. I was shutting down & got an application error, however I just got some paper to write down the error codes & the pc shut down. I seem to remember something like 0x0000008c or something like that.

Unfortunately I've also rolled this version out to my customers! :(

System: PIV 3.2gHz, 1gb RAM, Win XP Pro SP2, VS Enterprise v8.0.0, engine 4320, DAT (as at last night) 4389.

JackClark 09 September 2004 12:53 PM

Nothing on the knowledgebase https://knowledgemap.nai.com/phpclient/mainpage.aspx and not much I can do with the little information provided. All I can say is we have 3500 rolled out here and all's well.

Nick 09 September 2004 02:44 PM

OK, thanks Jack

JackClark 09 September 2004 03:45 PM

If you find out anything else let me know. So far the product's been very well behaved. But that doesn't help you.

Nicks VR4 09 September 2004 04:37 PM

Nick If your running ePO or Protection Pilot with 8.0i read this

https://knowledgemap.nai.com/solutio...for_XP_SP2.pdf

Nick 09 September 2004 06:11 PM

Thanks Nick, I check out the link

I'm not using using ether of those products.

Nick 11 September 2004 08:22 AM

I got the error again during shutdown last night.

Dialogue box:
Mcshield.exe - Application Error
The exception unknown software exception (0xc0000008) occurred in the application at location 0x7c964ed1.
Click OK to terminate the program

The dialog box stays on the screen for a few seconds & then the computer shuts down. On boot up, the computer is fine with no errors. The error has only happened twice & only since XP SP2 installed. The last program usually I close before shutdown is Outlook 2003. System tray apps are Lavasoft Adwatch build 38a, Windows Messenger 5.0, McAfee Enterprise 8.0.0, Boinc 4.05, Palm Hotsync Manager 4.0, MS ISA Firewall client.

http://www.microuk-adsl.demon.co.uk/images/vseerror.jpg

JackClark 11 September 2004 09:20 AM

I know it's a pain in the arse, but a reinstall of VirusScan may well help, I'm no guru but do know that a lot of problems are caused by the order in which things either start up or shut down. I'll post your picture to an internal list when I get back on the work network on Monday.

Nick 11 September 2004 03:55 PM

Ok Jack - I'll give it a try.

Kieran_Burns 11 September 2004 09:46 PM

The big thing with 8.0i is that it now has port blocking activated, (one of which is MSN messenger if I remember) it may be that one of the ports is being blocked?

There is also scripting protection, java filtering as well... I'd spend some time going through the default settings (which are mainly set to warn first) and see if anything obvious pops up.

It may be that a thread is being closed just as it tries to pop up a warning and this is causing the exception.

Nick 11 September 2004 11:38 PM

Hi Kieran, thanks for your reply.

It's difficult to test as this error on shutdown is not consistant - it's only happened twice since I installed v8.0i.

I am only blocking IRC ports with McAfee (I also use both a software & hardware firewall). I'll try the settings for a while with scripting turned off & see what happens. I'm also going to try to test if there is an issue with how quickly I shut down the pc after closing Outlook.

Regards
Nick

Nick 13 September 2004 11:10 PM

Tonight I heard from a customer that at least one of their pcs is doing the same thing. Not able to confirm an exact duplicate error code as they don't have a digital camera.

That pc also has VSE v8.0i & XP Pro SP2, however they use Outlook XP, whereas I use Outlook 2003. Both systems are part of a Windows 2000 domain.

JackClark 14 September 2004 10:52 AM

This just in....

ERROR: The exception unknown software exception (0xc0000008) occurred in the application at location 0x7c964ed1.
Defect ID : KB38146 Last Modified : 7SEP2004

Goal and/or Problem Description
ERROR: The exception unknown software exception (0xc0000008) occurred in the application at location 0x7c964ed1.
Sporadic McShield.exe crashes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Problem Environment
McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.0i

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Changes affecting this problem
Change information is not available for this solution

Cause of this problem
Cause information is not available for this solution

Notes
BZ 209434

Solution 1:
This issue was first reported by McAfee Engineering. Contact Tier 3 Support to discuss this issue further.

Disabling Buffer Overflow will prevent the issue.

Nick, can you give that a go. Rest assured we're working on it.

Nick 14 September 2004 11:01 AM

Thanks Jack

I've now disabled buffer overflow & will feedback if this helps the prob.

Maybe a v8.1 coming out soon? ;)

Nathan L 14 September 2004 11:08 AM

Spooky, I got exactly the same thing last night :eek: I was going to have a look through here and lo and behold it was the first thread on the page :D

Lol.

The only problem is WTF is buffer overflow and how do I disable it?

Computer thicky here :rolleyes:

JackClark 14 September 2004 11:29 AM

Unfortunately the only copy of 8.0i I have here is locked down, I can't even see the settings. Nick's probably better placed to tell you where the button is.

Nathan L 14 September 2004 11:31 AM

Okay cheers Jack :)

Nick 14 September 2004 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Nathan L
The only problem is WTF is buffer overflow and how do I disable it?

Hi Nathan

Right-click the "V" icon in your system tray & choose Virusscan Console.
Double-click the 2nd option "Buffer overflow protection"
Remove the check from "Enable buffer overflow protection" box
Click "OK"
Shut the Virusscan console window

:)

Nathan L 14 September 2004 01:04 PM

Wooohooooooooo!!!!

That was easier than I was expecting ;)

Cheers for that Nick, will wait and see what happens :D

Nick 14 September 2004 01:36 PM

No probs! :)

Kieran_Burns 14 September 2004 10:19 PM

Best go and change the setting on the old EPo server tomorrow then - I inadvertently upgraded 50 odd p.c.'s to v8.0 today

Please dont't ask how I managed to accidently upgrade 50 p.c.'s

Hats off to NAI tho' - no one noticed!!!

aqua 16 September 2004 10:37 AM

Same error here now but on a tablet PC just upgraded with SP2.

Will also try aforementioned temporary fix

Nick 01 October 2004 11:41 PM

The temp fix worked fine on mine & customer's pcs. However last night on shutdown I got the error again - despite having Buffer Overflow protection disabled.

It disappears quickly, but here's what I got:

Application error
The exception unknown..... 0xc0000008 ........ 0x7c964ed1

Any ideas Jack?

JackClark 02 October 2004 09:28 AM

Pretty sure there's a hot fix available for 8.0i, not sure if it covers this issue. It's on the support site, but I don't have a grant number here at home.

Nick 02 October 2004 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by JackClark
Pretty sure there's a hot fix available for 8.0i, not sure if it covers this issue. It's on the support site, but I don't have a grant number here at home.

Hi Jack, thanks for your reply

I just checked the download section, no hotfix available & only v8.0i in the product upgrade section. :(

JackClark 02 October 2004 12:34 PM

I'll find out where it is on Monday. Almost 100% one's available.

Nick 02 October 2004 03:59 PM

Ok Jack, thanks

ozzy 02 October 2004 05:06 PM

There was talk about the hotfix on one of the McAfee forums (not the official ones). When I checked on the support site with our Grant Number I couldn't find it listed.

We've rolled out 8.0i to 100+ workstations and haven't had any negative feedback from normal users. We have however, disabled the Access and Buffer Overflow protection as it was causing some weird issues with our .NET Developers.

Stefan

JackClark 02 October 2004 07:12 PM

TVDUG on Yahoo Groups is a great resource. A lot of our SE's hang out there.

JackClark 04 October 2004 09:49 AM

Apparently there are 2 available, you have to call support to get them, no idea why!