ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ICE (https://www.scoobynet.com/ice-2/)
-   -   JL 6W0 mini subs (https://www.scoobynet.com/ice-2/360275-jl-6w0-mini-subs.html)

Mike P 08 September 2004 09:56 PM

JL 6W0 mini subs

Anyone used these in an install?

I'm not looking for trouser-flapping bass, just a bit more bottom end from my system. Currently have infinity components up front and infinity 6x9 co-axs in the back.

I was thinking of adding an amp and then popping one of these subs in a very small enclosure in the boot - I don't want to lose too much boot space. the other option is possibly the 8W0, which is a bit bigger.

Curious to see if these are a reasonable solution, or if the only option for bass reinforcement is to go for the standard dustbin-lid sub loved by many.

Car's a MY98 saloon

chiark 09 September 2004 09:14 PM

I've heard and recommend the 5 inch (yes, really!) FOcal subs. Not heard the 6 inch JL audios...

MadDog74 11 September 2004 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by chiark
I've heard and recommend the 5 inch (yes, really!) FOcal subs. Not heard the 6 inch JL audios...

I agree with the above, I think the Focals sound better than the JL`s.

I`d go for an 8inch sub myself

I heard good systems using JL 8w6, Crystal Comp 8 and an RE 8

But these have all been in smaller cars than yours.

:)
Paul

Scooby-Doo 11 September 2004 11:21 PM

Hi,

I have 2 6W0's in my car and the box was built to mm perfectection based on the parameteres of the speakers. To say the sound is stunning is an understatement. I will try and post a pic tomorrow to give you an idea of the ported size. If you are in the Croydon/Surrey area you are more than welcome to have a listen.

David

mark*b 12 September 2004 10:52 PM

Could these possibly fit in the rear doors with the right adapters and sound proofing?

Scooby-Doo 12 September 2004 11:29 PM

The speakers are not designed to work in a free air enviroment. They would need to be boxed which may be tough in the rear door especially if you want the window to open :) The 5 inch mentioned above only requires a box slightly larger than the speaker so they may be a better choice although both have fairly hefty magnets.

mark*b 13 September 2004 10:24 PM

Okay, so what's a bass reflex enclosure ? Did you make yours or is it pre-fab jobby? Are you running the subs off one amp or two? And where did you buy them from?

Sorry to ask so many questions but I've got to get some proper bass in my car pronto.

MadDogWRX 13 September 2004 10:50 PM

Why not put a small sub in to glove box.

Scooby-Doo 14 September 2004 12:21 PM

The box was hand made over a period of 2 weeks using MDF and glass fibre to seal all joints. The box also took about 2 weeks to design as I wanted to ensure the internal volume was exactly as required based on the speaker parameters. When calculating internal volume you need to take into account speaker displacement and vent displacement if you are building a vented enclosure. You need to be aware that different speakers require different internal volumes although they maybe the same size speaker. It sounds difficult but its not too bad if you spend a bit of time calculating the box correctly. An incorrect box can range from sounding OK to total rubbish with boomy flappy uncrontrolled bass. I have 110w rms into each 6W0. I have a pair of 5's and tweeters in the front doors and the 6W0's in the boot and people and somewhat confused as to the sound you can get from such a simple setup.

Good luck and shout if you need any help.

David

Mike P 17 September 2004 04:50 PM

Thanks for all of the replies - been on holiday for a week so I've just seen the posts.

Scooby-Doo, I've PM'd you with an email address if you've got pictures I'd been keen on seeing the install.

Chiark, what install arrangement was being used with the Focal subs? I'm not sure if the best option is to remove the rear Infinities and have the subs fire directly into the cabin from an enclosure under the shelf, or to keep the rears and have the subs fire into the boot? From the Talk Audio forums there seems to be a lot of debate about the value of rear speakers.

Mike

Scooby-Doo 17 September 2004 05:19 PM

Got the mail post a shot tonight. They are not in a Scoob anymore so I will take then out so you can appreciate the size a little better.

David

Mike P 17 September 2004 09:07 PM

Cheers, David.

Scooby-Doo 17 September 2004 10:51 PM

Here you go, sorry not the smallest of files. The unit is two seperate chambers so if you only run 1 speaker it will be half the size. A sealed box is smaller still but its a few DB down on the ported version. The box is very low in height due to the mounting location which is why its quite wide.

Shout if you want any more info

http://www.zato.co.uk/JL.JPG

Mike P 18 September 2004 03:47 PM

Cheers David, got the picture. Particularly like the use of the Coke can to give an indication of size :)

Mike