ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Tek3 up and down pipes (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/359530-tek3-up-and-down-pipes.html)

billythekid 06 September 2004 01:00 PM

Tek3 up and down pipes

Mods - I posted this in the right place but got no response and need to sort this asap so can you leave it here please? many thanks.

Hoping to get my car Tek3'd this week (now booked in for Friday). Need to decide about up and down pipes etc.

My initial plan was for just the down pipe.

What is everyone elses experiance of this?

I want to keep the noise down too, already have H&S Bbox and that about as loud as I want it.

Cheers

BTK

billythekid 06 September 2004 01:25 PM

There has got to be someone out there with thoughts on this... :ponder2:

RB5_IOM 06 September 2004 01:37 PM

I had a TEK3 install a couple of months back. I fitted a Magnex down pipe with a Blitz nurspec r centre and back box. I would say that it would be louder with a downpipe but not too much.

chris singleton 06 September 2004 01:49 PM

What year and model car do you have?

If it's a 2001/2002 WRX you should probably have the up-pipe done as well.

If it's a classic, I don't think there is any need to do the up-pipe.

For 2003 onwards................................sorry, don't have a clue, no doubt someone with a bit more know how will be along soon :)

Chris

chris singleton 06 September 2004 01:50 PM

Forgot to add, if you are going to a reputable tuner, they should be able to give you the proper advice you need.

Jay m A 06 September 2004 01:50 PM

Whether you go for the downpipe only, or use both - get them lagged - it will will help performance, less noise is also a benefit.

billythekid 06 September 2004 02:10 PM

Cheers, its an 03 wrx.

I am going to a well known tuner.

They have said I can either do the Tek3 on its own, or with down pipe, or with up and down.

The up and down will give best power but will be quite loud, I want it to remain quiet really.

I just wanted to know what other people have done.

billythekid 06 September 2004 03:07 PM

Decided to go for:

Green OE replacement filter
Decat down pipe
Tek3 ECU

Already have H&S back box.

WRX_Rich 06 September 2004 09:13 PM

only thing I ve ever heard is the the cat in the up pipe gets to hot when running high boost etc and can break up and go through the turbo

not sure if this is a scoobynet rumour but it sounded good enought for me to warrent getting rid of the up pipe in my02 wrx

fuz 06 September 2004 09:30 PM

done up pipe ,down pipe and headers got 316 ib/ft so :D

oh my01 wrx ;)

Midlife...... 06 September 2004 11:21 PM

Billythekid

WRX Rich beat me to it............ :)

I was advised that when running mods with bigger gas flows that the CAT in the up-pipe could disintegrate and wreck the turbo !!

Scoobynet folklore ??

I took no chances and de-catted the up-pipe as well. Not a big increase in the total cost (or noise) for a big increase in peace of mind !!

Who's mapping the car ?

NewAgeWRX 07 September 2004 07:57 AM

To the guys who have had the up pipes changed, where did you put the EGT sensor - did you just buy a decat pipe with flange in it for the sensor or have the downpipe modified to put the EGT after the turbo ?

Im thinking of having the up pipe done (already got full sports catted Power Engineering system) - they say its best to take the downpipe off again, cut a round hole in it at the top and weld in a flange to take the EGT. They say if you just leave it in the up pipe, as some tuners do, that the end of it can fall off and go through the turbo. How true is this, as all that work adds alot to the fitting price !!!!

Midlife...... 07 September 2004 11:04 PM

NewageWRX

Errr....... I just bought the haywood and Scott up-pipe / down pipe and had them fitted by my local scooby dealer :) :)

Ninybobs at TTS is a bit more technical than me and is running 370 odd plus BHP on his newage....... :) maybe he might have an answer ??

The Fixer 08 September 2004 12:51 PM

Put the EGT in the down pipe ;)

WRX up-pipes & cats, its not just folklore, the CAT will break up at higher boost / states of tune and it will go through your turbo destroying it on the way. The newage STi's do not have CAT's in the up-pipes ;)

If your modding the WRX change the up-pipe and while your at it, fit a TD05 FE for good measure. (potential 350~370hp) :D (PS I have one if anyone wants it £350)