ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Film: Needfull Things (1993) (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/358900-film-needfull-things-1993-a.html)

16vmarc 03 September 2004 05:32 PM

Film: Needful Things (1993)

My dads just borrowed this Stephen King film off someone from work, is it worth me watching IMO?

It stars, Ed Harris, Max Von Sydow and Bonnie Bedilia.

Its rating on IMDB is 5.7/10 :rolleyes:

beemerboy 03 September 2004 05:44 PM

watched it a while back, quite weird, about a curiousity shop, some kid, some magical football cards and a dude behind the counter with special powers...

from memory i dont think i rated it much, but its down to personal choice.

watch a bit and see how you get on.

BB:)

jaycee 03 September 2004 05:49 PM

The book is much much better as is usually the case with Stephen King's book - film with the exception of Christine, The shining and IT.

Jason

jaycee 03 September 2004 05:50 PM

Oh and Running Man which he wrote under the name Richard Bachman.

D'oh!! Forgot about Misery as well!!

Jason

16vmarc 03 September 2004 05:51 PM

I remember getting the IT out on video years ago, the ending where he turns into a giant spider let the film down for me.

beemerboy 03 September 2004 06:32 PM

so what your saying JC is the films are better than the books basically ;)

LOL

BB:)

jaycee 03 September 2004 07:03 PM

Bollox!! They were the exceptions the books are miles better!! :p

Jason

IWatkins 03 September 2004 11:25 PM

Caught Needful Things on TV a few months back. Just happened to turn over just as it started.

Good film and is worth watching but wouldn't go out of my way to watch it again nor go so far as to buy in DVD etc.

Cheers

Ian

STi-Frenchie 04 September 2004 10:34 AM

I remember reading the book when I was recovering from typhoid. Not sure if that particular illness had anything to do with it :) but I remember thinking that at the time, it was one of the best books I'd read for a very long time and certainly the best Stephen King book I'd ever read. I still think it's the best Stephen King book. When the film came out I was expecting it to be something special...unfortunately it wasn't and turned out to be an average film. I'd give it 2 out of 5...or 2.5 out of 5 for the pedantics :)

16vmarc 04 September 2004 05:21 PM

Well ive just watched it, was quite a good film actually. Definatly worthy of a higher rating.

STi-Frenchie 04 September 2004 06:07 PM

Glad you enjoyed it. I think King's books and the films from the books are a bit of a mixed bag - I had a hard time slogging through the first 100 pages of the Tommyknockers and almost stopped reading it as it was as slow as hell...the film on the other hand was quite entertaining !

Anyone know what sort of shape he's in these days? Last I heard he'd been in an accident involving a large truck and was in hospital...but that must've been a year or more ago.