ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   MY98 Mapping (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/358894-my98-mapping.html)

KMH 03 September 2004 05:20 PM

MY98 Mapping

Guys

Hope someone can help me on this.

I have a MY98 UK Turbo 2000 (pre face lift model) with full H&S decat exhaust apart from the Magnex (Oval) back box, SAMCO hoses and K&N Panel Filter. Other than that it's pretty much standard.

Could anyone tell me what is the best map for my car, who is the best person to do it and how much approximately are we talking about.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Kieran

DreXeL 03 September 2004 05:35 PM

The 97/98 cars are a nightmare as far as mapping goes, you can't get a cheap ScoobyECU chip to drop in, and they can't be ECUTEK mapped. Your options are:

Power Engineering 'phase 1' conversion, where they solder a small board into the ECU to map it. Works well, but is expensive at around £700, and for that price a Power FC would be the best option (see below).

'Piggyback' ECU like a Unichip. Again works quite well but there are loads of dodgy mappers out there for these, the only people really trustworthy with a Unichip are Owen Developments or Powerstation. There are also limitations, for example it can't control bigger than standard injectors. Around £500 fitted and mapped.

Complete replacement ECU (GEMS, Motec, Link, Apexi Power FC etc), the best option but can be expensive (up to around 2k). However you can get a Power FC fitted and mapped by Andy F (the best Power FC mapper out there, without question) for around £700.

I went for the Andy F mapped Apexi Power FC for my MY97, and it's probably the best mod I've made to my car :D :D

SoNiCa 03 September 2004 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by DreXeL
I went for the Andy F mapped Apexi Power FC for my MY97, and it's probably the best mod I've made to my car :D :D

on dyno or what?
edit: I meant how does Andy mapping the Apexi ecus, on dyno?

DreXeL 03 September 2004 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by SoNiCa
on dyno or what?
edit: I meant how does Andy mapping the Apexi ecus, on dyno?

No, he maps it on the road.

KMH 07 September 2004 05:03 PM

Thanks Drexel. That's just the sort of info I'm looking for.

Are there any other suggestions/options available to me?

scooby-tc 07 September 2004 05:30 PM

nope

gossythevaleter 08 September 2004 12:27 AM

yup teg do a mappable ecu for the 98

andypugh2000 08 September 2004 10:09 AM

with just those mods its not worth the extra effort, mine is running more boost and still doesnt need mapping with similar mods to yours ;)

andy

AndrewC 08 September 2004 10:22 AM

Whilst I would agree that with your current mods the std ECU will cope fine (I ran my MY98 like that for 2 years) fitting a mappable ECU will give performance improvements, specifically in mid-range torque.

I went for a second hand Link about 18months ago, but then I wanted to map it myself and had a load of extra mods planned (turbo,fmic, injectors, headers etc etc), but even with just a decat, induction kit and samcos I got a good improvement with being able to sort the fuelling and boost.

You won't go far wrong with a PowerFC from Andy, if I was choosing an ECU now, I would probably go with the PFC.

I would give Rich Wild at Jap Innovations a ring (although he may be on holiday at the moment). He took an MY97 about as far as you can go with the std ECU and then got a PFC and was more than happy with the results.

Be warned though, you are starting down a slippery slope once you move past the decat/filter/hoses stage.

Andrew...

KMH 08 September 2004 12:55 PM

Slippery Slope....... Oh I know all about that one.

Decision time now I think.

Thanks for all the replies and advice guys. It's much appreciated.

markwild 08 September 2004 01:47 PM

Another Happy PFC customer from AndyF - on a my98 UK -

I had the PE jobby before - very good, as long as you don't want to take it further, but cost as much as PFC, so I'd go that route from the off if I were you (I wish I had - would've saved 600 quid !)

I'd agree that the remap is not entirely necessary at the stage you're at, but its probably next (or a dawes...) - and its certainly next if you're going any further..

Mark

PS _ Bit confused about the 'pre-facelift' ?

Hol 08 September 2004 03:29 PM

Got a Link ECU on mine. Mapped by Bob Rawle. It was on the car when I bought it and Ive just remapped as I have added parts. I also have it mapped for Optimax without octane booster.

It works well, but does cost more than the AndyF option.

KMH 09 September 2004 10:05 AM

So link or PFC seems to be the way to go then.

Pre-facelift -- Before the crystal lights and front bumper changes as the car is late 98. Just trying to give as much information about the car as possible.

markwild 09 September 2004 12:44 PM

KMH - gotcha - certainly a 98my then (like mine ;) - except I've fitted the new lights ;) ) - the 99 has the new lights (the my numbers go October-October (ish))...

The 97 and 98 have the same ecu 'issue', but its different for 99 and on (and pre-97)...

Happy Scoobying :D

Mark

Johnny50 09 September 2004 03:12 PM

I opted for GEMS on mine. (MY98) But it certainly isn't the cheapest of options.
If i was starting all over again, i would speak to AndyF for an Apexi unit.