ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   ntldr error (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/356994-ntldr-error.html)

InvisibleMan 27 August 2004 10:10 AM

ntldr error

been trying to load windows on me new pooter but getting this error?

lightning101 27 August 2004 10:16 AM

Go into the bios and leave it oon the hardware monitor for a few minutes - temp of processor should be 40-50 degrees, if it is in excess of this then your processor heatsink and fan are not mounted correctly/missing thermal paste. This error is just and install crash as the processor begin to overheat.

i.e. blue screen of death NTDLR error

ozzy 27 August 2004 10:25 AM

ntldr is the boot process; before it loads the OS kernel. could be a problem with the partitioning or the boot.ini file pointing to the wrong location.

what type of computer is it? you don't have any fancy disk controller that may need it's own driver?

lightning101 27 August 2004 10:30 AM

Ozzy - I understand that, it's just that I built a computer the other day and had the same problem, kept cutting out on the NTLDR part and it was down to overheating, not thay NTDLR had anything to do with the heat.

Temp was at 84 deg C - quick power off, some silicon paste and remount heatsink, temp down to 41 deg c and everything installed fine.

Also he mentioned it was a "NEW" computer hence my advice.

Gymbal 27 August 2004 10:31 AM

My limited experience with this invloved once a corrupt MBR (linux and Xp not getting on).

The other was just windows screwing itself.

Once I used Linux to repair the MBR the other time I used XP boot disk and sytem repair.

I vaguely remember a horrendous DOS based MBR repair session. Dos boot disks for XP anyone?

Good luck (you'll need it)

ozzy 27 August 2004 10:40 AM

I wasn't diss'ing your advice, just adding a bit more info.

New computer could just be a laptop or something like a Dell rather than a home-built one that may be prone to overheating. Of course InvisibleMan may have explained all this in another post somewhere.

Stefan

InvisibleMan 27 August 2004 11:40 AM

its a new desktop ive built 3.2ghz. It all seem to have a nice firm "click" so it sounded & looked like it went into place ok. Well check tonight as well as temp. Its a sata drive so i may have not set something right in the bios. It says its in sata enhanced mode tho it says ide-master 3 next to it so not sure.

InvisibleMan 27 August 2004 11:52 AM

to add it was after the first installation stage when it loads the setup files then whats to reboot. Its at this stage when rebooting back up it stops with ntldr is missing.

ozzy 27 August 2004 12:16 PM

Is it just a std SATA controller. Not sure what driver XP would use for this, but check it's not using a fancy chipset (like a RAID controller) that may need a driver loaded from the motherboard/controller manufacturer.

Used to be a common problem with older versions of NT and W2K on servers with RAID. Still get some problems on new PC motherboards and XP with so many using IDE/SATA built-in RAID controllers.

What motherboard are you using?

Stefan

InvisibleMan 27 August 2004 12:36 PM

abit ai7 - i thought it may need something like that. its got a sata raid diskette but i thought that would be for only setting up raid. The docs say to install windows first then the chipset, raid controllers then other drivers.

InvisibleMan 27 August 2004 12:44 PM

think i may need install the raid controller first as it asks for it at the beginning of the windows setup

ozzy 27 August 2004 12:52 PM

Doubt XP will have the correct driver and the std IDE ones probably won't work with your controller.

Check on the Abit website if they have a newer driver and then use that when first configuring windows. Used to have to do this before creating the partitions - F6 hotkey as it started NT install. Haven't needed to do it on XP so I'm all a bit vague after that.

Stefan

InvisibleMan 27 August 2004 01:18 PM

the docs are all geared for xp & have all the latest drivers. They say to do raid install after xp install but ill try before

Pars 27 August 2004 07:15 PM

lal I love messy DOS repairs :D