ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Leaky boot still (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/356371-leaky-boot-still.html)

Paulo P 25 August 2004 01:09 PM

Leaky boot still

This is a problem that's been there a while on my sisters classic :cry:

I thought I'd solved it the other day by taking the rear light out that had been replaced last year and cleaned everything with white spirit then re-fitted it using silicone sealer but it's still leaking really badly :(

I have gone around every grommet & bolt and sealed them up too but so far I haven't cured it :(

Has anyone got any other idea where it could be leaking from? I'm getting p!ssed off with it now and she can't use it because she can't put the baby's pusher in the boot :cry:

Thanks in advance :)

P20SPD 25 August 2004 02:30 PM

Paul, i had this on my 1st scoob, and it took the garage 6 months to believe me that it leaked.

They eventually found where, by putting one of the mechanics in the boot, and then spraying the boot area with a high pressure jet of water.

It transpired it was the bolt holes for the spoiler.

Cure was to take spoiler off carefully, clean up, and put bucket loads of sealant underneath.

Steven

Paulo P 25 August 2004 02:53 PM

Hi Steven

I was thinking about laying in the boot tomorrow night with a torch and getting her to spray it but she would probably forget about me and leave me in there :lol1: I will try that tomorrow night. Did you use silicone type sealer to seal it?

Thanks

Paul :)

richiewong 25 August 2004 03:13 PM

Had this on mine as well, just needed the rubber seal pulled out a bit and sorted :D

Paulo P 25 August 2004 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by richiewong
Had this on mine as well, just needed the rubber seal pulled out a bit and sorted :D

Pulled out where? I had a quick look at this on Saturday and it looked ok by sight.

richiewong 25 August 2004 03:33 PM

Just to the left of the lock.
Used the palms of my hands to push the rubber down and out a little.
This created a better seal with the bootlid. (think I bent the metal slightly as well but you can't see it anyway)

blue haze 25 August 2004 04:29 PM

after 4 seperate leaks , i am now the king of leaking impreza boots.

only was is to get in the boot unfortunately. (better to do it with someone who likes you)

main probs i had:

1 lights re-sealed on both sides
2 spoiler holes
3. air vent down the side not fitted properly
4. leaking between panels and along the seals.... leading to me thinking new seals required.

others suggested leaking rear window etc etc etc.

enjoy your time in the boot.

Paulo P 25 August 2004 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by blue haze

enjoy your time in the boot.

:lol:

Originally Posted by blue haze
after 4 seperate leaks , i am now the king of leaking impreza boots.

only was is to get in the boot unfortunately. (better to do it with someone who likes you)

main probs i had:

1 lights re-sealed on both sides
2 spoiler holes
3. air vent down the side not fitted properly
4. leaking between panels and along the seals.... leading to me thinking new seals required.

others suggested leaking rear window etc etc etc.

I've sealed one of the lights and all other seals that I can see. I'll check out if it's the spoiler because that's been off before :)

CataIunya 25 August 2004 07:48 PM

I had this the other day there is a gromet down the left hand side near the jack....it was missing....still have not got round to fixing properly though. Whats this air vent you mention ?

Meanie 25 August 2004 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by CataIunya
I had this the other day there is a gromet down the left hand side near the jack....it was missing....still have not got round to fixing properly though. Whats this air vent you mention ?

I've got this problem on my MY93 and can't work out where the leak is coming from!

It seems to be affecting the bottom of the rear window (as it condensates sometimes) and leaks into the boot from somewhere, so whether its leaking from the rubber sill of the window or not I'll have to find out. Gonna have a thorough investigation this weekend.

Jim

Paulo P 27 August 2004 10:41 AM

It turned out to be the rear light :mad: The same rear light that I took out at the weekend and sealed back in :cry:

We managed to fix it in the end using plumbing putty because nothing would seal it and the water was pouring in!

What a stupid design :mad:

Paulo P 27 August 2004 03:54 PM

And it still leaks :mad: What a sh!t design :mad: Any other ideas please before I take a sledge hammer to it :norty:

minor_threat 27 August 2004 04:45 PM

If you can't solve the problem you could always turn it into a positive situation and have the first (that I'm aware of) biological modification, a Subaru Boot Aquatic-Creature Environment. Is your sister fond of newts, frogs etc? ;)

Paulo P 27 August 2004 04:48 PM

PMSL :lol1: