ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Fault Code 66 - Import Legacy GTB (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/356320-fault-code-66-import-legacy-gtb.html)

APIDavid 25 August 2004 10:43 AM

Fault Code 66 - Import Legacy GTB

Sorry guys, I'ved asked this question before but didn't write it down.

Can anyone tell me what code 66 is on a GTB Legacy 99T plate.

Thanks.

David APi Engines / APi Impreza

DuncanG 25 August 2004 11:31 AM

Unfortunately its rather non-specific. It means there is something wrong with the twin-turbo system which isn't really a lot of help. I'll send a diagnostic pdf by email.

Midget 25 August 2004 04:39 PM

Code 66 Normally occurs after an engine job due to the fact that the piping
for the twin turbo has been incorrectly refitted ! I have first hand experience !

the below is some info i got from Subaru iRL at the time

This code is shown when primary turbocharger is operating, and throttle open angle is 30degrees or more, and the output voltage of Differential pressure sensor is 1.4V or more.
The differential pressure means the difference of supercharged pressure between Secondary and Primary turbocharger ASSY. Therefore, if Secondary turbo is excessive over boost or Primary turbo is excessive low boost, this code is shown.

Main check point for 66SBSYS(S)
1. Check if turbine of primary turbo is broken or not.
2. Check if relief valve, intake air control solenoid valve, exhaust gas control solenoid valve and differential pressure sensor are working normally.
3. Check the waste gate valve (included Primary turbocharger ASSY). If waste gate valve is abnormal, replace Primary turbocharger ASSY. This valve itself can not be ordered as a spare part.
4. Check if the vacuum hose connection (No1,2,3,5,6,8,10,21,22,23 shown in the above diagram) is incorrect.

There is actually 3 different versions of code 66
Trouble code 66
66SBSYS (T) è Twin turbo operating area (Both Primary & Secondary turbo are operating.)
66SBSYS (S) è Single turbo operating area (Only primary turbo is operating.)
66SBSYS (H) è High supercharged pressure area

Let me know if you require a copy of the piping diagram !

DuncanG 25 August 2004 04:46 PM

Midget, could I have a copy of the piping diagram please?

APIDavid 25 August 2004 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by DuncanG
Midget, could I have a copy of the piping diagram please?

Me too please, because l'm lumbered with helping a ' mate ' in the motor trade who has bought the car with this fault and I offered to try and help.

A diagram will get me off the hook as he can then sort it out himself.

David APi Engines / APi Impreza

Fax number here 01926 614907. Ta !!

Midget 25 August 2004 05:12 PM

e mail sent to both of you !

Midget !

camdonald 31 March 2009 10:40 AM

Midget, could I also have a copy of the piping diagram please?

stoneface 31 March 2009 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by camdonald (Post 8612204)
Midget, could I also have a copy of the piping diagram please?

Good luck ;)

Flyinspanner 14 May 2009 09:20 PM

Loads of info on code 66 on UKlegacy.com.
Good luck with the fix.

Bob Rawle 14 May 2009 09:55 PM

David I have the full workshop manuals for the TT's now, let me know if you need anything further, Code 66 specifically relates to an inbalance in the TT system during transition, often caused when pipework has been frigged around with and specificly required restrictors left out. See it quite a lot when I am mapping them especially when std pipework around the engine bay replaced with Samco and restrictors are not transferred.

cheers

bob

EcuTek, Simtek, Link, Gems, DTA, Autronic, Motec, E-Manage, Apexi, Bosch, AEM

For Subaru, Misubishi, Porsche, Nissan

98gt-b 10 June 2009 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Midget (Post 3661888)
e mail sent to both of you !

Midget !

Midget, could you please send me the diagram, I have got 2 fault codes, 66 & 22 and I am new to owning a Subaru and finding them a right nightmare:cry:

Thanks

legacytt 10 June 2009 08:55 PM

code 22 is your knock sensor but that might be thrown up because of your code 66 seen it before

98gt-b 10 June 2009 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by legacytt (Post 8757859)
code 22 is your knock sensor but that might be thrown up because of your code 66 seen it before

Cheers, so would you advise 2 ignore the knock sensor until the piping has been checked out? The engine has been out and partially rebuilt by some one who I have no faith in what so ever, and now they cant and dont want 2 help rectify this problem

legacytt 10 June 2009 09:10 PM

do all the checks like midget has posted even better if you get the copy of the pipework the knock sensor has probably been thrown up by the ecu detecting a fault in the turbo/s whether over or under boosting so as not to damage the engine and dont worry there are many more who have had code 66 .

FUlloCK 20 July 2009 10:17 AM

Darn Subi's

um Midget could i also please have a copy?

GazJenno 20 July 2009 05:10 PM

I had this code 66 on my old Leggy TT, was because one of the turbo's wasnt really doing as much as the other... fecked basically

dregordon76 02 February 2010 06:40 PM

Hi Midget, could you send me a copy of the PDF? I also have the same issue with low boost on a TT legacy 2001. I have had the first Turbo replaced however this has not helped at all!! I need to find a good Subaru Engineer to help me!!

thanks

bobsyauncle 17 February 2010 06:35 PM

hi there,
could someone post me diagrams of the twin turbo piping as my engine was replace and i have code 66 throwing up!!!

Flyinspanner 10 March 2010 08:53 PM

Hi all
if you look on the uklegacy.com site there is lots about the code 66.
Look up in the for sale section 'solenoid' - member Nutbeam refurbs solenoid boxes to clear this code.

nutbeam 17 June 2010 08:24 PM

just noticed this, cheers flyinn one!:thumb:

subzerogtb 22 June 2010 12:46 AM

vac pipes cock up

hi i am a newbie can any one supply vac pipe diagram foo a 2000 gtb as i have code 66 and22 showing please send to my e mail cheers;):norty:

kitunga 14 December 2010 07:05 PM

TWIN TURBO PIPING

would like twin turbo piping for ej20

nutbeam 14 December 2010 07:07 PM

suggest you register on uklegacy.com and look me up

Tyrone_aupiais 11 September 2011 11:25 AM

Bob could you please send me a copy of the work shop manual, I have a Legacy TT GTB wagon and I have code 22 and need to know how to change the knock sensor. WOuld also appreciate any other doc and info.
And Midget may I pease also have a copy of that piping diagram.

NZ RS man 07 November 2011 09:14 AM

ej20tt vaccum pipes

Hello, i'm a new member rom New Zealand, and have found your club, I to would very much like the diagram everybody has been asking for so I can corect the vaccum hose connection the owner before me has got wrong, please send me a copy

jimmytesco 07 November 2011 10:41 PM

yip as above nutbream on uklegacys the man to ask:luxhello:

subie crew 20 May 2013 11:29 AM

hey can I please have a piping diagram as well

actaylor 15 June 2016 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Midget (Post 3661685)
for the twin turbo has been incorrectly refitted ! I have first hand experience !

Any chance that you could send me any diagrams that you have pertaining to this issue? I have a 98 legacy twin turbo with code 66. There aren't any mechanics that have worked with this type of engine where we live and diagnosing issues has been very difficult!

Our mechanic thought that our issue seemed to be a coil problem - we have now replaced spark plugs twice and the coils as well as the O2 sensor (we were also getting an O2 code). Each change seemed to fix our problem for about a week and then it goes right back to where it was. The sputtering was making the car almost un-drivable, would sometimes stall or not start (particularly if very cold or wet weather), idles at very low rpm and rpm will fluctuate, car gets a shake/shimmy while idling. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Chickenwing00 14 August 2017 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Midget (Post 3661685)

the below is some info i got from Subaru iRL at the time

This code is shown when primary turbocharger is operating, and throttle open angle is 30degrees or more, and the output voltage of Differential pressure sensor is 1.4V or more.
The differential pressure means the difference of supercharged pressure between Secondary and Primary turbocharger ASSY. Therefore, if Secondary turbo is excessive over boost or Primary turbo is excessive low boost, this code is shown.

Main check point for 66SBSYS(S)
1. Check if turbine of primary turbo is broken or not.
2. Check if relief valve, intake air control solenoid valve, exhaust gas control solenoid valve and differential pressure sensor are working normally.
3. Check the waste gate valve (included Primary turbocharger ASSY). If waste gate valve is abnormal, replace Primary turbocharger ASSY. This valve itself can not be ordered as a spare part.
4. Check if the vacuum hose connection (No1,2,3,5,6,8,10,21,22,23 shown in the above diagram) is incorrect.

There is actually 3 different versions of code 66
Trouble code 66
66SBSYS (T) è Twin turbo operating area (Both Primary & Secondary turbo are operating.)
66SBSYS (S) è Single turbo operating area (Only primary turbo is operating.)
66SBSYS (H) è High supercharged pressure area

hey midget could I scab a copy of piping diagram too pleas

Billy Locke 04 March 2021 08:16 PM

I have engine code 66 come up

I've put a new engine in my 1998 legacy mk2 gtb and now have a engine code come up and pretty sure its vacuum not piped up correctly could you please send the diagram over so I can double check please