ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   .avi (divx) to home dvd player (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/356091-avi-divx-to-home-dvd-player.html)

DazV 24 August 2004 04:14 PM

.avi (divx) to home dvd player

whats the application of choice to convert an avi (divx) file onto a CD-R or DVD-R for use on a home DVD player?

DJ Dunk 24 August 2004 06:04 PM

I use NeroVision Express 2. Nice & simple but plenty of options & good audio config.

Leg@cy 24 August 2004 06:46 PM

Same here......... tis simple to use....

NickAdams 25 August 2004 11:32 AM

Does NeroVision Express 2 do xvid too or is there another app that can do that??

Cheers

DJ Dunk 25 August 2004 12:13 PM

Does that too provided the codecs are installed on your PC.

markwild 25 August 2004 01:06 PM

maybe not exactly the answer you're after, but - I ditched the DVD player and replaced with a chipped XBOX - Plays DVDs (multiregion) and Divx/avi ...... (oh and mpegs) - works with the remote and, therefore, doesn't need the pads plugged in.....

Just an idea,

Mark

NickAdams 25 August 2004 01:10 PM

Thanks Dunk :)

Originally Posted by markwild
maybe not exactly the answer you're after, but - I ditched the DVD player and replaced with a chipped XBOX - Plays DVDs (multiregion) and Divx/avi ...... (oh and mpegs) - works with the remote and, therefore, doesn't need the pads plugged in.....

Just an idea,

Mark

Cheers Mark
I have an xbox and have been toying with getting it chipped etc etc and installing the Xbox media centre which I downloaded off the web last week in preparation...
I assume the Xbox media centre will do all what you list above? (Sorry,am a bit lacking in my 'modified' xbox skills!! ;))

King RA 25 August 2004 03:53 PM

a chipped xbox is better than any dvd player could ever be. Fullstop.

Scooby Dooby Blue 25 August 2004 04:39 PM

...or treat yourself to a DivX DVD player.
Good ones now available for £50-60 (support mpeg3, mpeg4 & mpeg5)

Just burn the raw DivX and play away :D

Paul

markwild 25 August 2004 05:55 PM

If you're considering chipping the xbox, I'd go that route - if you wireless network it to your PC (easily done), it'll save you 'burning' anything - simply FTP the program/film to the box.....

And, yes, my list is an xbox capabilities list.... (I have 3 such boxes, one of which I use purely for media playing (30 Gb disk fitted) and 2 for games (120 Gb Disks))

If you're not chipping, then Paul's Divx DVD player is a good choice....

Hope this helps,

Mark

lightning101 26 August 2004 09:02 AM

I bought myself a UMAX DVX6600 that can (with firmware updated) play anything my computer can play DIVX, XVID all MPEGS 1,2,4, JPEG photo player, MP3, WMA, and is fully upgradable using a CDRW with the latest firmware in the drawer and pressing a button, therefore virtually futureproof.

Got it for £47 + vat on Aria Specials months ago.

CustomScoobyIOM 26 August 2004 11:25 AM

I got a Philips DVD that is progressive scan, digital audio out and plays Divx.

lightning101 26 August 2004 11:31 AM

The DVX-6600 is an allround DVD player, which is not only compatible to the standard but also to the latest format MPEG4 SP (Simple Profile) and MPEG4 ASP (Advanced Simple Profile) resp. AVI. It is super flat and has an elegant mirrored-glass front.

please click for hires pictures (167KB)
DisksCD-Audio, CD-Video, S-Video, MP3-CD, MP3-DVD,
JPEG-CD, JPEG-DVD

FormatsMPEG1 (ISO11172), MPEG2 (ISO13818),
MPEG4 SP (Simple Profile),
MPEG4 ASP (Advanced Simple Profile), XviD,
MP3, WMA, PCM, Voibs-OGG

ASPGlobal Motion Compensation (GMC)
Quarter Pixel Compensation (Q-PEL)
B-frame
Higher bitrate up to 10Mbsp

AudioDolby Digital, DTSInterfacesback, video S-video, composite video, scart

back, AudioStereo, coaxial, optical, 5.1 channel outputOSD Menue8 languagesUpgradeFirmware upgrade per CD-RDimensions50 x 430 x 260 mmAccessoriesremote control, batteries, video cable, audio cable, manualWarranty12 months

Leg@cy 26 August 2004 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by lightning101
I bought myself a UMAX DVX6600 that can (with firmware updated) play anything my computer can play DIVX, XVID all MPEGS 1,2,4, JPEG photo player, MP3, WMA, and is fully upgradable using a CDRW with the latest firmware in the drawer and pressing a button, therefore virtually futureproof.

Got it for £47 + vat on Aria Specials months ago.

I'm with you on that one... 6600 all the way... ;)

Local Maplins had them at £59.99

Phil