ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   best exhaust for a classic? sudgestions welcome (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/355835-best-exhaust-for-a-classic-sudgestions-welcome.html)

boabster 23 August 2004 08:28 PM

best exhaust for a classic? sudgestions welcome

looking for that mighty flat 4 rumgle at idle and awesome burble as you drive away nice and easy...heard a scooby in front of mine on sunday in st andrews and it sounded awesome and would like to know if he is on this forum what kinda exhaust you have..or if anyone has any sudgestions of the exhaust make...:)

hoskib 23 August 2004 08:33 PM

best bet mate is to go to a scooby meet, listen to some exhausts and ask the owner what he/she's using.

expensive trial and error otherwise:)

i've had magnex 3 1/2 round b/box and full decat and that was quite nice and burbly without being over the top and unbearable on long journeys.
currently use full magnex decat with TSL afterburner b/box and it's about as loud as i would want an exhaust to be!

if you want mental loud go for a blitz NUR exhaust, if you're friends with your neighbours now, you won't be after waking them up with that beauty;)

mervil 23 August 2004 08:38 PM

How about the Afterburner Vortex mate, had one since march, makes me smile everytime i drive it! Highly recommended

M444GY 23 August 2004 08:43 PM

blitz nur spec is fookin loud with a lovely rumble! thats what i have and i love it. dunno about the neighbours though:)

Ozzy Scoobourne 23 August 2004 08:44 PM

I'm currently running an afterburner vortex like below and would highly recommend one to anybody.

http://photos.fotango.com/p/eba00460546f00000002.jpg
but if you're looking for something a little less extreme I've got a magnex backbox for sale at the moment. Only had it since the end of March and recently changed it for the vortex.

i8gtmf 23 August 2004 09:19 PM

Got to be a Blitz Nur Spec heres mine :) clicky

boabster 23 August 2004 09:26 PM

i like that sound of the blitz:notworthy

dlynch 23 August 2004 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by boabster
i like that sound of the blitz:notworthy

Sounds very raspy.

I have a magnex 6x4 it keeps the neighbours happy but really gives off that deep flat four note

scoobyboy1 23 August 2004 10:24 PM

I had a HKS Super Dragger with full decat and i didnt think it was to loud, so i got a exhaust company down the road to custom make one with a jap style backbox, and flippin hell the exhaust i have now sets car alarms off and rattles shop front windows, even the deaf bloke in my street can hear it (only jokin about the deaf bloke).

a11exf 23 August 2004 10:44 PM

I have got the afterburner vortex and it sounds excelent. I havent heard one better than the vortex yet

NelsonUK 23 August 2004 10:51 PM

A full Hayward and Scott *original* Scoobysport Decat Exhaust Setup sounds the mutts nuts mate. I have had endless remarks about the way my Scoob sounds since sorting the Echaust on it :) Now it recorded 103 DB's recently on a noise test but I can tell you that it in now way sounds that loud (I think its more the pitch) ;)

theotherphil 23 August 2004 11:42 PM

I have a Revolution full 3" de-cat downpipe and system. It keeps the lovely flat four sound but is not overly loud.

PHILYB 24 August 2004 08:16 AM

i have full magnex de cat on my P1, it sounds ace and throughs falmes once she is hot!! i have the uprated P1 stainless back box to finish it off.

paul_davies 24 August 2004 12:57 PM

I'm with theotherphil!!

Revoloution full system, Nice 5 x 3 oval tail pipe, not too loud except when it pops, bangs and flames!! (but I am running a forge VTA and its heat wrapped to the rear box)

Next day delivery too!! Top blokes at revoloution.

spence7 24 August 2004 08:04 PM

Running a 95WRX Import and fitted a Hayward and Scott decat Mid-section ...... started off with an Afterburner Vortex and it sounded fantastic racing up through the revs but was too boomy on cruise and low speed driving for me...replaced with a Ninja and it looks IMHO 'smarter'/'neater' than the Vortex, but still has a lovely smooth growl and roar up through the revs. The polished and rounded silencer box looks the mutts nutts imho and I the slash cut end looks spot on. Cheaper than the Vortex too by a few quid.

Overall ? If you want loud go for Vortex without question you will not be disappointed. If you do many motorway miles and spend time at 2-3K and don't want boom, I'd say you'd be happier with Ninja as I was.

Hope this helps,
Alex

WH03JAM 24 August 2004 08:24 PM

Thumbs up for the Ninja from me too :thumb:

Had one of these fitted to my previous Scoobie, and just had one fitted to my current one now. Love the sound it makes, and I've only got the rear box

Gear Head 24 August 2004 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by boabster
looking for that mighty flat 4 rumgle at idle and awesome burble as you drive away nice and easy...heard a scooby in front of mine on sunday in st andrews and it sounded awesome and would like to know if he is on this forum what kinda exhaust you have..or if anyone has any sudgestions of the exhaust make...:)

Just replaced my scoobysport cat back with a blitz nur spec. What a difference!!! Everyone, and I mean everyone that you drive by, can hear you coming 3 mins before you get there. Im such a child!!!

TheSquirrel 24 August 2004 10:01 PM

We are having a meet/run on Sunday.Why dont you come along and you will probably hear every type of exhaust imaginable

Sunday at 0830 meeting at the Bothwell services on the M74 Your more than welcome

Grant

PS 1998 WRC downpipe,3 inch bore,into a side exit makes a Blitz sound very weedy