ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   SWRT WAP Site (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/3556-swrt-wap-site.html)

JDS 24 June 2000 02:32 PM

Is anyone, or has anyone, had any trouble connecting to the SWRT WAP site on a Nokia 7110?

Everytime I try and access the site I get the message "Page Cannot be Displayed". Orange can't take repsonsibility or offer advice as it is not an officially Orange supported site. The only advice is contact the page administrators as the page might be "too big" to display on the screen. The only difficulty is that there is no contact number or e-mail address on the SWRT site where you can address a specific concern/problem.

MartinM 24 June 2000 04:15 PM

Yep, same problem. Tried all sorts of things to no avail.

There was a thread on this a couple of weeks ago. Try the Search facility. I don't think there was a satisfactory conclusion - some people said it worked, others had no luck

James Neill 24 June 2000 05:02 PM

IMHO - the 7110's aren't the greatest of WAP phones. All in all there are around 50 versions of the firmware in these phones. Early versions of the firmware were a bit buggy.

Richard Simpson 24 June 2000 05:31 PM

If you want to complain about the poor standard of the WAP offering, send a few e-mails of complaint to Domino Systems, the Prodrive & SWRT Web developers.

mark@domino.com

Neil Micklethwaite 07 July 2000 02:57 PM

I have just heard through the grape vine a rather disturbing rumours regarding this topic.

It is unconfirmed BUT would ask can any Orange Nokia 7110 users to confirm or deny this.

"Orange deny access to any URL not hosted on their Servers"

So as SWRT is not hosted by Orange you cannot access the site.

Has anybody actually got through to a site not hosted by Orange ?

Or does anybody know Watchdog's E Mail address.

MartinM 07 July 2000 03:03 PM

Not true

I have a WAP site, exposed to the Internet, running on an in-house server.

It can be accessed with no probs through Orange, Cellnet and Vodaphone.

Ade 07 July 2000 04:15 PM

Only got my 7110 (4.84) on Monday, but I have already got WAP working and coded my own site.

I don't use the Orange connection settings. I started off using wapmx.com on an 0845 number, but this didn't come under my inclusive minutes (Talk 120/150).

I now have it set up to dial my ISP (Via Networks) on an 01784 number and access sites through Erricson's public WAP gateway. This way I can use up inclusive minutes, as the it is charged as a national landline call.

Try

Steve Perriam 07 July 2000 06:47 PM

i've got a nokia 7110 on orange (4.84)

never been able to connect to a non orange site - ie SWRT.

if anyone on orange has managed let me know !

Lee 07 July 2000 07:08 PM

WAP - Waste a Phone

Ian Cook 07 July 2000 07:32 PM

Lee http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/wink.gif LOL

I have a 7110, hardly ever bother with the wap, but the reception and signal strength is much better than other phones, so i justify it that way, I can access sites other than orange hosted ones with no problems when i have bothered, but cant access SWRT

WAP isnt worth the hassle really, better off waiting for G3 !!!!

TonyNesta 08 July 2000 01:03 PM

I have one also, with no probs accessing non-orange sites. I do get several sites, notably SWRT, that cannot be displayed though. I use mine mainly to browse email from my Freeserve account, and it is invaluable in this respect.

Neil Micklethwaite 08 July 2000 01:27 PM

Thanks for the replies.

As I said it was a rumour by a collegue in the industry and I wanted to dispel it.

Ian Cook surely you would be better waiting for the new i-mode phones ? http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/wink.gif

ADE - I have just set up via

RobMac 09 July 2000 08:21 PM

On Cellnet you can access SWRT.com really easily...

And I've been keeping up with the Tour De France on the letour.com WAP site while I've been at the Bike Grand Prix. It updates every two minutes just like the SWRT one!!

Rob.

Ian Cook 09 July 2000 08:51 PM

Neil, G3 are the i-mode phones !!!! Its what all the fuss was with the bidding with billions of pounds was a month or so back !!

Neil Micklethwaite 10 July 2000 09:43 AM

Ian

You know I am new to the City and you know we don't even have electrickery back home. http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/wink.gif

Neil Micklethwaite 14 July 2000 01:09 PM

The SWRT WAP site is now available through Orange.

Huxley 15 July 2000 01:33 AM

I spoke to Orange data services on monday and complained like F--- about not being able to get SWRT site and told them that there was lots of people on this site that were not happy to and you can get it on Vodafone,Celnet,without any problems at all!

There reply was we do not support third party
site but there own but i keep on at them about the fact that it is no problem on the other networks they said they would get some one to phone me back and now look it's Working at last

JDS 17 July 2000 03:21 PM

Good news for all Orange users!!

I have been in close contact with the providers of the SWRT WAP site over the past couple of weeks since I started this thread. The good news is that it is up and running with no problems from the Orange WAP phone.

Thanks for all your posts. I'm glad that I wasn't the only one suffering. My only regret is that I wasn't able to post this before the Rally of NZ as I was in Blackpool on a good old Stag Party (not mine!). However, the site was up and running on Friday.

Cheers,

James.

gregh 17 July 2000 03:38 PM

BTW anyone know of a cheap way to get a 7110 that doesn't involve me taking a new contract? I'm on a company 6110, and would like to move to a 7110 and keep my current sim without paying through the nose!

greg

Huxley 17 July 2000 11:08 PM

Gregh you could try diamond free adds or take your work phone into a phone shop and see if they will do a part ex on (i'm sure work would not mind would they !)

Paul

Ps. I paid £50.00 for mine through vodafone on a staff deal but i use it on orange as my wife works for them and has one as well.