ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   help with gearbox please (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/355487-help-with-gearbox-please.html)

billy scoob eck 22 August 2004 08:13 PM

help with gearbox please

hi
im after a better gearbox but i dont know what 2 go for??????
was thinking about a RA box but havin 2nd thoughts bout it now (130mph top out) i know it would be good low down but with getting a new ECU with anti-lag i dont think il need the RA box

the std box is no good ( to weak)
so what do i go 4? ppl have said the sti8 box is strong and a few r getting them fitted
i want sumt that will take about 400bhp?
how loud r the the dog boxes? maybe a bit much for a road car?

what r all the big BHP scoobs using? surly not a std boxes

all options please

billy scoob eck 22 August 2004 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by billy scoob eck
hi
im after a better gearbox but i dont know what 2 go for??????
was thinking about a RA box but havin 2nd thoughts bout it now (130mph top out) i know it would be good low down but with getting a new ECU with anti-lag i dont think il need the RA box

the std box is no good ( to weak)
so what do i go 4? ppl have said the sti8 box is strong and a few r getting them fitted
i want sumt that will take about 400bhp?
how loud r the the dog boxes? maybe a bit much for a road car?

what r all the big BHP scoobs using? surly not a std boxes

all options please

BTTT

any1??

911 23 August 2004 08:38 AM

Billy, just my opinion:

Daily driver/400 bhp go for the 6 speeder. Nice and quiet,reliable, 240mm clutch (if you want) and all that. Cheap @ £1600 for the 'kit' and will be plus about £600 labour for a good guy to fit it. Bad news is it is very heavy, but so what?

Weekend warrior/400 bhp consider the above (!) or a dog box. Bad news is ££££££££££££££, noisy and not always realiable, but fast change, street cred (so what) and keeps it light.
Cost is in the fitting as well as the maintenance needed if driven on the road a lot.

6 Speeder it is then.

911 :norty:

AndrewC 23 August 2004 09:34 AM

Billy,

The first 4 ratios on the 6 speed (both UK and JDM) are still very short and you will need fifth on the 1/4 mile.

It is however the cheapest option for a strong box.

Andrew...

911 23 August 2004 01:05 PM

Andrew, are the 'short' gears equal to an RA box or an Sti classic box do you think?
I hill climb an Sti v3 and will soon need a 6 speeder I think.

billy scoob eck 23 August 2004 11:41 PM

cheers andrew and 911
id like the 6 speed box i have a budget ov around 2k and the six speed box will probly cost just over 2k ( not that botherd)
but i cud do with a new ECU as mines at its limits

so my next option is a sti 5 speed and a ECU which il probly get both fitted for just over 2k
what do u think??

iv got 2 do this pritty fast as iv got a rolling road coming up and the clutch has totaly gone on me now :-(

help!!

911 24 August 2004 06:47 AM

If you go that way, watch-out for the rear diff ratio otherwise you will be fitting a rear diff and that takes about 4 hours.
Recently, there was a P1 drivetrain on the Snet, £800 low low miles, with rear diff etc, a bargain as it is the Type R box, short ratios too.

Good luck!

billy scoob eck 24 August 2004 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by 911
If you go that way, watch-out for the rear diff ratio otherwise you will be fitting a rear diff and that takes about 4 hours.
Recently, there was a P1 drivetrain on the Snet, £800 low low miles, with rear diff etc, a bargain as it is the Type R box, short ratios too.

Good luck!

cheers mate