ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Wheels, Tyres & Brakes (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/)
-   -   sorry to rant on, but how long do your brakes last? (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/355301-sorry-to-rant-on-but-how-long-do-your-brakes-last.html)

hoskib 21 August 2004 09:48 PM

sorry to rant on, but how long do your brakes last?

thought my dealer was taking the piss when i was told i need new discs and pads every 20k, turns out this is quite the norm.

so come on, who really changes their discs at the recommended minimum thickness? my mate had his done (on a scooby) and he had a lip of about 4mm on his disc and his dealer was quite happy to leave it that long before changing them.

as in the title, sorry to moan a bit, but i'm just gutted i've gotta spunk out cash for fcuking brakes that look barely worn!

end of the day your brakes are the only thing stopping you from having a bit of a prang, so i guess i'll bite the bullet and get it done. but jesus christ, do they have to wear out so fooking quick:mad:

WRX Jase 21 August 2004 10:00 PM

I was told at 20K service to change pads at next service (30K) . I don't drive hard that often though, wife and child in car too many times and LOTS of motorway miles.

As for discs dunno. Ask on Sept 3rd once the dealer has had his £500 + from me.

scoobchrissy 21 August 2004 10:14 PM

I have a MY02 moded WRX and i've changed mine 4 times so think your self lucky :) mind you it's not the disks or pads its my heavy right foot :D

hoskib 21 August 2004 10:14 PM

500 quid? lucky bugger;) my next service is a 700 quid jobbie (cam belt+ fluid change) hence my reluctance to change the brakes and bump the price up even more!

will have to look into sorting it out elsewhere, anyone doing a group buy on discs?;)

sKunk 21 August 2004 10:41 PM

I did nearly 40k in my last scoob and only had to change the pads. I guess I must be brake friendly :)

steve_g 21 August 2004 10:45 PM

My fronts have about 3mm of pad left at 16,000 miles on my MY03 STi.

I'm going to replace them with some EBC Redstuff ceramic pads.

The discs barely have a lip at all, maybe 0.5mm.

ALi-B 21 August 2004 11:00 PM

I found the standard pads like to munch their way through discs and deposit them on the alloy wheels ;)

TBH most uprated pads seem to be more disc friendly, and work better too.

Although the dealer trick for many cars is to chuck on a set of discs whenever they need pads just to bump up the bill a bit. Down to trust in the end of the day ;)

chris's scooby 21 August 2004 11:07 PM

My MY02 WRX, which had covered about 34000 miles when i got rid of it was i think on it's 4th set of pads (may have been it's 3rd) and still on the original discs, which had a fairly deep lip on them, although the dealer hadn't suggested changing them at the time.

Chris

ALi-B 21 August 2004 11:40 PM

Oh Forgot to add that my last discs and pads were changed at 30K (MY97)

The pads didn't need replacing, but the discs were fubared - I had a dead spot on the brakes as the lips on the disc were pushing the pads away from the disc. Also the brakes seemed rather dire in general too (fade, squishy pedal, play etc).

Replaced with uprated discs and pads, cheaper and performs better, no disc wear as of yet either :)

scoobyboy 22 August 2004 10:19 AM

at the end of the day subarru state the minimum thickness for a reason imagine if they didn't and everyone kept using the same set of discs until one day they brake and the disc disintegrates under pressure imagine the carnage that would cause and the law suits and the comments like "why don't they stamp a minimum thickness on the disc" so they do and yet people are still not happy.
and no dealers don't just it needs new discs to bump up the bill they say it to keep you alive.

peaquod 22 August 2004 10:42 AM

7000 miles was all i got from my 03 wrx ppp,the discs were ok.i must be pressing the wrong peddle.

colex 22 August 2004 07:46 PM

I got only 20k out of my first sets but over 40k when I switched to EBC redstuff. Mind you my usual drive route (to work) has changed as well and is very brake friendy (slow) :(