ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   STi8 Pulling hard right under throttle (HELP!) (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/354740-sti8-pulling-hard-right-under-throttle-help.html)

Steve Holmes 19 August 2004 06:40 PM

STi8 Pulling hard right under throttle (HELP!)

I have just noticed that when I accelerate hard at say over 60 mph the car pulls quite hard to the right. I have checked tyre pressures and whilst they were not equal it doesn't seem to change it after correcting.

I am meant to be doing a track day this Saturday but I am nervous that something is not as it should be.

The only other thoughts I have are that I changed the front left tyre recently (Goodyear F1) as I mashed it recently on track and secondly that I have had a new rear right strut fitted due to some knocking.

Does anyone have a clue or advice please?

Steve

ST AYE 19 August 2004 06:50 PM

Had similar, car pulled right on acceleration and drifted back left on lifting off.
Was fine before changing from RE070's to Goodyear F1's.
Turned out to be geometry.
Goodyears must be more sensitive

corradoboy 19 August 2004 06:52 PM

If the geometry wasn't redone after fitting the strut it could be that. Otherwise I'd be having a good check of the bearings and tierods or possibly a driveshaft or CV joint.

I haven't had a Scoob long and as such haven't encountered problems in these areas, but on other cars if you grab the tyre at 3 and 9 o'clock and give it a good hard wiggle (wiggle isn't a very hard word is it :confused: ;) :D ) to check for any play (you might feel it or even hear a slight ticking) in the tierods or bearings, to confirm which, then grab the top of the tyre and wiggle that. If the play is still evident then it's probably a bearing, if not, tierod. For CV & driveshaft you'll need to jack her up and check if the wheels will rotate whilst in gear, I think.

Good luck.

Steve Holmes 19 August 2004 06:53 PM

It sounds similar to yours. What specificaly had changed or do you not know?

thanks anyway for getting back

ST AYE 19 August 2004 11:34 PM

To be honest I am not sure. Powersation checked the alignment and suggested some changes. I can only suggest you give them a try. I had the car set up by another "well known" outfit previously.

ALi-B 20 August 2004 12:11 AM

Another suggestion is that you have replaced the one tyre. Some tyre batches can vary in grip, even being the same brand. Or it could be your new tyre hasn't scrubbed in yet.

I have seen cars handle very odd when only one tyre has been replaced.

You can try swapping the wheels round front to rear.

Seeing it's had a bash, I'd get a full geometry check first. Only after your satisfied that is ok you can point your finger at the tyres. (any wear in the suspension/ or bent bits - should show up on the geometry check)

MikeWood 20 August 2004 09:05 AM

Steve

It's because the LF tyre is now a different diameter to the RF. When you make the tyres pull the car it will steer away from the larger tyre.

Mike

Absolute Shower 20 August 2004 10:35 AM

Agree...tyres on the same "axle" should be changed at the same time - number one rule that.

Other thing is, you said tyre was mashed...if you smacked it, then it will also be tracking. Get both sorted...job done.

Steve Holmes 20 August 2004 05:40 PM

Cheers guys,

getting the 4 wheel alignment done at Power Station tomorrow morning but changing the OSF tyre seems to be so logical it must be true, cheque book out again!!!! cheers

Steve Holmes 21 August 2004 08:41 PM

Went to Powerstation today and had 4 wheel alignment done, tyres changed and anti lift kit fiited........wow what a difference!!

Turn in is much sharper, car feels planted to the round under hard aceleration and as if its a new car again.

Advice....get down to Powerstation, and oh year, pulling to right totally gone!!