ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Cats - should we have one or two? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/353610-cats-should-we-have-one-or-two.html)

EddScott 16 August 2004 01:14 PM

Cats - should we have one or two?

A work colleague has 3 kittens he is trying to find homes for. There are 5 in total, one of which they intend to keep and another which I pikced up on Saturday.

One of the three left is a male and is quite timid and I don't think he will cope with our daughter who is nearly 3.

They've spoken to a cat shelter who will take them but it seems a shame for them to end up at a shelter. I don't think its too much of a big deal to have two however I guess its two mouths to feed instead of one.

I don't really want to get carried away and get another one so remain fairly undecided. My GF and I both work so I guess they could keep each other company etc.

Although unsure I'm reasonably happy to have another as she seems lonely at night but my GF flatly refuses to allow her upstairs and into the bedroom (thinks its going to steal her breath while she sleeps!) which is gutting cos I used to like have my old cats on the bed at night.

My daughter is still fairly scared of her but they'll get used to each other over time - I'm hoping my GF will also get used to her as shes never had a cat before and isn't too sure about them - however it was her that first suggested we have another rather than them end up in a shelter.

Thoughts anyone?

SomeDude 16 August 2004 01:18 PM

FWIW, two cats are not that much more work than one.

OTOH cats are fairly individualistic critters, so they may or may not enjoy each other's company - sometimes they just "tolerate" each other.

But then again, when they are young, it's dead funny seeing them play.

Let your heart decide :)

tiggers 16 August 2004 01:20 PM

Get two as they do provide company for each other and as they grow up together their interaction is just so much fun to watch. Realistically it doesn't cost that much to keep a cat so two shouldn't break the bank.

Go on - you know you want to.

tiggers.

P.S. Be prepared for the SN anti-cat brigade to pay this thread a visit at some point - just try and ignore them.

Ted Maul 16 August 2004 01:32 PM

get two as the other one can clean the hard to reach places, rather than you having to do it...

the moose 16 August 2004 01:40 PM

Two cats are better than one, particularly if they're from the same litter. Just make sure they don't scratch everything to bits, and GET MEDICAL INSURANCE FOR THEM. At approximatley £8/month/cat it's not that expensive, and if you have to take them to the vet in an emergency situation, the costs mount up astonishingly quickly.

OllyK 16 August 2004 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by tiggers
P.S. Be prepared for the SN anti-cat brigade to pay this thread a visit at some point - just try and ignore them.

Get a dog instead :D

tiggers 16 August 2004 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by OllyK

Sorry, did someone say something :D

OllyK 16 August 2004 01:46 PM

Sorry, did someone say something :D

If you hadn't put anything I'd have just left quietly, sometimes it is better to let sleeping dogs lie!!! ;)

messiah 16 August 2004 01:54 PM

got to have 2. otherwise they'll fight with you.

EddScott 16 August 2004 02:48 PM

My GF is thinking it over today as it has to be a joint decision.

Anyone got small children and cats? My daughter will get used to her but she's still quite jumpy if she goes for the furniture.

Senior_AP 16 August 2004 02:53 PM

Dogs smell like poo.....thats just their breath.

OllyK 16 August 2004 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Senior_AP
Dogs smell like poo.....thats just their breath.

I'll resist the temptation to hijack the thread :)

Senior_AP 16 August 2004 03:11 PM

I'll resist the temptation to hijack the thread :)

:)

Daz34 16 August 2004 05:24 PM

I have two that came out of the same litter. They are great fun to watch as kittens & keep each other company when they get older.
No more trouble than having just the one either.

Darren

SomeDude 16 August 2004 05:46 PM

Ed,

If anything, in a few weeks the reverse will be true... you'll have to protect the cats from your little one. A 3 year old needs to be kept in check with kittens.

OTOH, she will learn responsibility, respect, interaction...

To the other guys: sorry for giving on-topic answers, don't you have some redneck poll to start ? ;)

logiclee 16 August 2004 06:55 PM

If you have a good relationship with your neighbours I would suggest you first ask them if they have any objections to you introducing more cats into the area.
Most people will tolerate one cat roaming their property but may find more than one to be a nuisance.

Depends if you value the relationship with your neighbours or not.

Cheers
Lee

EddScott 16 August 2004 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by logiclee
If you have a good relationship with your neighbours I would suggest you first ask them if they have any objections to you introducing more cats into the area.
Most people will tolerate one cat roaming their property but may find more than one to be a nuisance.

Cheers
Lee

:D

If I was concerned for my neighbours opinion I wouldn't have bought an Impreza with a 5" exhuast ;)

Pixxie 16 August 2004 07:47 PM

2 Cats as they really just play with each other.

Get a water spray that you can used later as they get older as a form of discipline. it's funny cos in the end you just show the bottle to them and the leg it! will help save your furniture (and your legs!)

My niece had a kitten from when she was 2. The cats very patient with her and must admit the cat takes a far amount of abuse esp when she has friends over!
Also she stopped being scared of other cats and animals!

Good luck- they will give you unlimited love and hours of fun!

M444GY 16 August 2004 08:39 PM

none!

andypugh2000 16 August 2004 08:40 PM

Where is AJM :D

sti555 16 August 2004 08:40 PM

get another cat and I did has worked out well :D

ALi-B 16 August 2004 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by logiclee

Cheers
Lee

Well said, and not mention that you are prepared to take the reponsibility of keeping them and not kick them out all day...or night as and when you please.

Steve vRS 16 August 2004 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by EddScott

Anyone got small children and cats? My daughter will get used to her but she's still quite jumpy if she goes for the furniture.

I've got two cats and a one year old boy. One loves him and puts up with so much abuse of him :D, the other just ignores him and keeps out of his way. Neither have harmed him and he shows no allergic reaction to them. We just ensure they don't go in his room as they like to sleep in his cot.

Steve

Buzzer 16 August 2004 09:21 PM

Agreed ;) always best to reach decisions after smoking one of those :)

Stueyb 17 August 2004 12:10 AM

I reckon 2 is a good number. Got 2 here. They will have company etc and a better quality of life imho

RB5 Paul 17 August 2004 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Well said, and not mention that you are prepared to take the reponsibility of keeping them and not kick them out all day...or night as and when you please.

I'll second that sensible considerate suggestion ;)

jasey 17 August 2004 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by ALi-B

Are you talking about Cats or Children ?

ps Get Two - They're cute when they fight each other as Kittens then when they get older they're still cute but they get much smarter. The "Cat on Cat ambush" is still one of the funniest things you'll see even form a pair of old gits like mine ;).

CrisPDuk 17 August 2004 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by jasey
ps Get Two - They're cute when they fight each other as Kittens then when they get older they're still cute but they get much smarter. The "Cat on Cat ambush" is still one of the funniest things you'll see even form a pair of old gits like mine ;).

It's funny watching the meeker one learn to avoid one ambush, only for the dominant one to come up with another:) The only downside to my two is that they often play and chase in the middle of the night, you ain't heard nothing till you've heard the noise two cats can make thundering up and down a staircase:) but it's only a small downside and it's far outweighed by pleasure you will get out of them.

PS, IMO cats and kids soon learn where the boundaries with each other are:)

PPS if you end up with a brother and a sister, make sure you get them 'done' males have no problem whatsoever with bit of incest:eek:

jasey 17 August 2004 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
It's funny watching the meeker one learn to avoid one ambush, only for the dominant one to come up with another:) The only downside to my two is that they often play and chase in the middle of the night, you ain't heard nothing till you've heard the noise two cats can make thundering up and down a staircase:) but it's only a small downside and it's far outweighed by pleasure you will get out of them.

PS, IMO cats and kids soon learn where the boundaries with each other are:)

PPS if you end up with a brother and a sister, make sure you get them 'done' males have no problem whatsoever with bit of incest:eek:

You aint heard nothing til you've heard "Will" being chased by "Gav" - Gav was recently weighed - 8KG :eek:. The Vet said He's not particularly overweight - he's just BIG !!!

CrisPDuk 17 August 2004 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by jasey
You aint heard nothing til you've heard "Will" being chased by "Gav" - Gav was recently weighed - 8KG :eek:. The Vet said He's not particularly overweight - he's just BIG !!!

:eek: If Gav is like our Tiddles and goes for the full on 'leap on back and try deathgrip to neck' manoeuvre I hope Will's got a strong back:) Our Jock tends to roll over & squirm free, but even he'd struggle to get out from under that sort of weight:D I bet you don't feel your feet for long if he gets on your knee either:)