ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Omega Watches (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/353465-omega-watches.html)

Tim Taylor 15 August 2004 10:28 PM

Omega Watches

I'm in the market for a Omega seamaster 300 M Diver Chronometer. I am also going to New York in a months time. Is it cheaper to buy these watches out there? Can I buy them 'Duty Free'? If any one is in the USA can they tell me how much they cost over there?

Thanks guys

Tim

yoza 15 August 2004 10:42 PM

They are cheaper in the US.

I have the model you are after, full size auto, as new, make me an offer.

No worries about getting collered for import duty and luxury items tax, just buy mine.

Boxed, papers, authenticity wallet and card, as new........

£700 and its yours.

P1Fanatic 15 August 2004 11:16 PM

Is that really your name? Quality if it is - PMSL at Home Improvements :D

Simon.

Tim Taylor 15 August 2004 11:35 PM

lol at P1Fanatic - Yes it's the 'Tool Man' here and yes it's my name.

Yoza - I am planning to buy a new one so thanks for the offer. Do you know the cost in the USA?

Freak 16 August 2004 12:02 AM

:p
thread hijack/
yoza, best price on a Tag carrera with perforated strap and three white ring chronograph sil vous plait... this one: http://ww2.tagheuer.com/_images/smal...3_FC6182_s.jpg
I know you hate tags, but i know you know the best place to buy all sorts of watches too

/thread hijack

p.s nice choice of omega

rotty 16 August 2004 12:53 AM

They are cheap in the US , I bought the "bond" full size auto for $850 :) though this was an exceptional price , $1100 is more the norm , don't forget though that 20% discount is easily available in the UK

thecirsch 16 August 2004 02:39 AM

Tim,

Just think, you'll be able to turn the clocks back LEGALLY on these things :p ;) :D

BTW, wanna go paintballing?

paulr 16 August 2004 07:35 AM

Tim...if you wear it home then you should be able to avoid import duty.I would post the documents home while in NY just to make sure.
If i was buying one in the US i'd still want to buy it from an authorised dealer.You should save something by the exchange rate as well as looking for a discount.

Dont forget you can get a discount in the UK too.Do what i did,get a list of all Goldsmiths stores off the net and ring round telling them what you're doing.If its £1100 in the UK you should be able to get a £200 discount with a bit of work.

Iwan 16 August 2004 08:20 AM

Agree with the above. If you're really paraniod send the docs to a mate rather than your home address. You don't want customs inspecting the package and then lying in wait when you return.

Also as has been said above, you _can_ negotiate discount in the UK from approved dealers. When i bought my Omega Speedmaster moon-watch from Watches of Switzerland in Cardiff i was paying cash so they gave me £250 off the list price of £1500. I told them i'd seen it cheaper at a place in Yorkshire (on their website) which was true, i said if they didn't match it then it'd be cheaper for me to drive from Swindon to Yorkshire to buy it there.

:D

Dieseldog 16 August 2004 08:29 AM

I tried buying a Seamaster Automatic from the States but couldn't get a dealer to get near the price of 'Blitz', the UK internet store. Sure, US internet sites are cheaper but if you're on holiday / business are you confident that the watch will get to you in your hotel? Result was a sale by Blitz (paperwork showed watch was sourced from a jewellers in Las Vegas!), taxes paid for something like £875 iirc.

paulr 16 August 2004 08:30 AM

Personally i'd buy in the UK.We are more trustworty imo.

Dieseldog 16 August 2004 08:47 AM

... or alternatively, if you do return with the documents, box etc. on your person, you could wear a top hat and carry a cane. That way the Customs Officer will think you're so impossibly wealthy you wouldn't need to have saved a few quid buying abroad and they won't search you.

Tim, it may just work...

ProperCharlie 16 August 2004 09:26 AM

Yoza - let's have a look at it. Any chance of a pic?

wakeboardar 27 November 2004 07:00 PM

long shot but is that watch still for sale yoza
we think our 2 year old has put mine in the bin and its gone with the binmen

PG 27 November 2004 07:16 PM

:eek: now that is a pisser !!

mart360 27 November 2004 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by wakeboardar
long shot but is that watch still for sale yoza
we think our 2 year old has put mine in the bin and its gone with the binmen

anyone wanna buy a slightly bashed omega..

found on the council tip last week

best offer secures!!

Ouch... i know the feeling,,, my 12 year old threw my brand new knock sensor out with the other rubbish in the back of the car!!!!

i was going to fit it on my return from the tip..

M

Jamie 27 November 2004 07:42 PM

I have a omega auto geneve 1958 seamaster by turler ;)

wakeboardar 27 November 2004 07:57 PM

his mum has taught him to clear up
worst thing she ever did

nice one mart

yoza 28 November 2004 08:43 PM

Sorry, it went to a fellow ScoobyNetter whos name eludes me......:rolleyes:

There will be some happy 'tip troll' somewhere, who has sold that watch for £20.:(