ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   3 mobile phone network ?? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/353353-3-mobile-phone-network.html)

f1 15 August 2004 04:47 PM

3 mobile phone network ??

yes or no ??

Have heard nothing but bad things, does anyone have anything good to say ???

Cheers

Ray_li 15 August 2004 04:51 PM

NOOOOOOOOO

Wher in the country are yo? Im in birmingham and it sh1t

gsm1 15 August 2004 05:14 PM

I've used it since Jan 2003. The main problem for me is the switching of reception from 2.5g to 3g. Between switching it goes out of service for 30 seconds, at least. I also find plenty of callers have been diverted to my voicemail then I don't get the notification of the voicemail until 2 days later sometimes. There is a way of forcing the phone to stay in 2.5g to resolve the No service issue but I've not got round to sorting that yet. I don't use the video service so I'm not fussed about that but you can only use one of these bloody bricks with crap battery life to work on 3 Mobile.
Other than that, with all the special offers and inclusive minutes it's reasonably priced but if your wages rely on receiving calls I wouldn't recommend it.

Ray_li 15 August 2004 05:22 PM

gsm1.

im using the LG u8110.
found a way of setting it to 2.5g but it does not stay on. if it does i would not have a problem with it.
menu > settings > network > network seletion > manual > 3.
How I i keep it on 2.5g?

Ray

Richard Askew 15 August 2004 05:35 PM

Never had a prob in last 2 months

gsm1 15 August 2004 05:51 PM

Ray, I read about some guy doing it to his Motorola, on the net, but he had to upload some software to it. I've forgotten the forum web page but it was an aussie one. They've got loads of info on there. I'll try and dig it up.

Abdabz 15 August 2004 06:03 PM

Wait a few months for the big two to release their 3g packages and handsets...

gyfto1 15 August 2004 09:29 PM

cant be any worse than my 02 connection :(

Aztec Performance Ltd 15 August 2004 09:36 PM

Have been with them for over a year now. The 3g network coverage is poor but they use o2 as a back-up network...the problem occurs when the phone is on a weak 3g signal it will continually go from 3g to o2 and in between you have no coverage. I've always used a backup fone (on orange) which picks up calls when the signal is bad.

In saying that I have just re-newed my contract...you cant go wrong @£12.50 a month with 500mins anytime, any network (= 2.5p per min) and you get a shiney video phone. My new phone (LG8110) isn't as bad as the last one in terms of signal so I wont be using a backup phone anymore.

Also may be worth checking your coverage with three. Good customer services.

Bob

Aztec Performance Ltd 15 August 2004 09:38 PM

The problem above could easily be rectified if you could lock the phone into the o2 network manually but the software only allows you to lock the network down to 3g if you wish to de-activate the auto feature.

Bob

Ray_li 15 August 2004 11:27 PM

bob. How?

spufus 16 August 2004 01:02 AM

My 2p's worth.

I've used 3 for over a year now and the reception is s**t.
Lot's of minutes for little cash, but no coverage - or so I thought.
A little searching and I discovered that the Samsung T100 works fine with the 3G SIM.
My NEC 606 dropped more calls than it received, my replacment Nokia 6600(?) is the same.
The T100 has never dropped or missed a call in over 6 months!
3 piggyback on 02, but it costs them for each 2G call - so they do not like it if you run a 2G fone with their SIM.
3 have been good enough to send me 3 replacement SIMs to "upgrade" my connection, the first 2 did nothing, but the last 1 killed my T100 connection.
I now have to use the Nokia, on 3g which is as s**t as the 606 - missed/dropped calls
voicemail etc....
F1,
If you have a good 2G fone with cheep mins - leave them well alone.
If you have a "friend" who can sort you out a 2G fone on the 3G SIM go for it, but be aware, they will block your SIM eventually.

Hope this helps.

Shropshire-Guy 16 August 2004 07:27 AM

Had mine 7 months. Never had a problem with the Network in all honesty. Its the Motorola phone thats crap.Will go again with 3, but will get different phone thou. I live in sticks thou but travel anywhere with work at nights but mostly always have 4 bars of Signal :thumb:. just my 2 pennies worth

Type R 16 August 2004 08:25 AM

Worst mistake Ive made. 6 months and counting.

Ray_li 16 August 2004 09:50 AM

3-4 months a counting

gsm1 16 August 2004 10:51 AM

3 have been good enough to send me 3 replacement SIMs to "upgrade" my connection, the first 2 did nothing, but the last 1 killed my T100 connection.
The new sim would have made no difference. My sim worked beautifully with my Samsung T100 as well until a few months back when they obviously made a change via the network.

Aztec Performance Ltd 18 August 2004 06:45 PM

Which 2g phones are compatible with the sim? I know some old phones are (were?) but not sure which models specifically?

Ray Li: have no idea how to lock it down...but it would be nice to know...maybe better off with compatible 2g phone?

Bob

spufus 18 August 2004 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by BOB'5
Which 2g phones are compatible with the sim? I know some old phones are (were?) but not sure which models specifically?

Bob

My Samsung T100 worked perfect - til they "upgraded" my SIM.

Alan C 18 August 2004 07:34 PM

West Yorks area (not exactly Mozambique) and the reception is always dropping on and off calls..

The £12.50 Pm with 500 mins is not so great when you can't get a decent signal from the house unless you're stood outside etc.. even then it's a bit of a lottery.

The battery life on the NEC is so poor, we have to charge it nightly to ensure we can gte through the following day...

They won't be getting my renewal.. I'd rather pay the higher premium of the other networks to ensure I get a connection..

spufus 18 August 2004 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Alan C
West Yorks area (not exactly Mozambique) and the reception is always dropping on and off calls..

The £12.50 Pm with 500 mins is not so great when you can't get a decent signal from the house unless you're stood outside etc.. even then it's a bit of a lottery.

The battery life on the NEC is so poor, we have to charge it nightly to ensure we can gte through the following day...

They won't be getting my renewal.. I'd rather pay the higher premium of the other networks to ensure I get a connection..

Me too!
I'm in Brighouse - supposedly a 3G video area and I'm lucky to get voice calls!